Post Game Chargers Defeat Green Bay 26-11

They escaped vs DET and MINN and caught a big break with #15 out in KC
Vikings caught same break we did in KC by not facing #15. They still lost.

I buy the tired legs/late bye week theory.

What killed them worst was the defense not forcing any TO’s, and recent history records this team struggles when they don’t, and ST’s struggles (especially the blocked punt).
A timely TO, like the fumble recovery in KC and no ST’s gaffs, and this may have been a game that goes either way.

Positive - saved me time watching the DVR

Caveat - if they aren't fired up enough after being humiliated all around and thus destroy Carolina, it may be another 'into, quickly out of, the playoffs year.

+ I didn't watch much of the game

- What I did watch was a team that didn't want to be there and wasn't concerned with the outcome

Both of GB's losses have been to teams whose back was against the wall and needed a win, doesn't bode well for playoffs, but this game wasn't a backbreaker for us in playoff consideration. We need to rebound against CAR, rest up for a week and then smack SF in the mouth. The '96 Packers and the '10 Packers lost to some mediocre teams in the regular season, so I don't have much anxiety about how this played out. Do enough to get to the playoffs and then turn it on, everything else is fluff.

The blueprint to beating the Packers seems to be rush 4 guys and drop everyone else in coverage. It certainly helps when you have guys like Bosa and Ingram coming off the edge and not every team can scheme this way but teams with a good DL (without blitzing) have given the Packers some problems.

On the other side of the ball, you run right at the defense and throw over the middle of the field. We all love Kenny Clark but he hasn’t played very well and Dean Lowry has taken a step back. Martinez is a nice run stuffer but he can’t cover anyone as we have seen the last two weeks.

Teams with good QBs can throw on the Packers and this will continue to be a concern until GB proves otherwise. They need a few more pieces including an athletic ILB.

I’m not as worried about the OL as I am the DL and specifically the run defense.
The OL has been solid most of the year and honestly Bosa and Ingram are really good.
The Packers are allowing almost 130 YPG on the ground. That’s really bad folks. 25th in the league bad. The Chargers doubled their average per game w/159 on the ground v Green Bay.

On the other side of the ball, you run right at the defense and throw over the middle of the field. We all love Kenny Clark but he hasn’t played very well and Dean Lowry has taken a step back. Martinez is a nice run stuffer but he can’t cover anyone as we have seen the last two weeks.

Martinez couldn't stuff a cabbage these days. I question why he's even on the field. He is worse at stuffing the run than Goodson. He can't cover, he can't make adjustments - I think Mark pointed out in shout yesterday he actually moved a DL out of proper alignment on a short yardage play - what exactly is he doing? I get the unexpected 7-2 start but at some point they need to see if guys like Burks can play because the team is still going through a rebuild and Gute needs to know if he should cut bait on the guy sooner than later.

I think Mark pointed out in shout yesterday he actually moved a DL out of proper alignment on a short yardage play - what exactly is he doing?
That he did on that long run up the middle in the 3rd.... the NT had the correct gap and Manny moved him over. Allowed the center to get the nose and then the LG took out Manny.

Pettine needs to look in the mirror as much as any player. I mean, there are times it's 2nd and 5-6, he's got a 6 man box and 1 DL against 11 and 12 personnel. Like, are you kidding? He plays medium down and distance as if it's all 3rd and 20. Hell, he plays short downs as if it's 3rd and 20. It's gotta be demoralizing for the players.

Back