Packers sign WR Davante Adams to a multi-year contract extension

Mark87

Carpe Diem
Admin
Reaction score
Website
wisconsinsportstalk.net
Adams 4-year extension worth $58M, source says. $18M to sign. $32M in the first 2 years. I disagree with this signing. Why

First Adams will now be covered like a number 1 WR...he gets the #1 CB and he gets doubled. I will flat out say it he can't beat most #1 corners in this league. ( remember that in the future)

Second 3 head injuries in 2 years ?? Yeah lock that guy long term and give him 18 million.

Third Rodgers is looking at a 100 million deal and you need to fix the 30th ranked defense but you did this ???

Personally I would have franchised him for 16 a year and see if he can produce as the #1 before signing him long term. It's just good business.

Packers WR cap hits for 2018...
Cobb 12.75mil
Jordy 12.55mil
Davis 686k
Clark 555k
That’s 18.25% of cap for WRs - already second most (TB spending 20.63% of cap on WRs) in NFL before Davante Adams signing

Cobb 12.75mil
Jordy 12.55mil
Davis 686k
Clark 555k
That’s 18.25% of cap for WRs - already second most (TB spending 20.63% of cap on WRs) in NFL before Davante Adams signing

Think Cobb and Jordy will be asked to take incentive based pay cuts were they can earn back money. They say no I think Cobb is gone for sure and maybe Jordy also.

Packers had to do this. TT backed them into a corner by not restocking WR position. Adams is the best they have. But top money for a guy who never had a 1000 season and has had 3 concussions?

Packers had no choice, but i think Adams is more valuable to the Packers than he is to other teams. Probably could have got him cheaper IMHO.. but thats the way TT works.

Crossing my fingers Adams turns into a true #1...

I agree with the signing, Adams is good enough and deserves it. I also leave Cobb and Nelson play out their contracts and go from there. Cobb is a good WR and needs to be used more. Nelson appears to be on the decline but still will draw coverage and get his catches. We draft a WR and we are good at the position for awhile.

This is a bit higher than I expected tbh. I like Davante but that's elite WR money(top 5 in the league). Mark's point is valid can he perform as the #1 WR every week drawing double coverage ??

Cobb 12.75mil
Jordy 12.55mil
Davis 686k
Clark 555k

Hopefully this means we move on either Cobb or Nelson, preferably the former. This much money tied up in 3 WRs is wayyyy overboard especially given our vast deficiencies on defense. Ideally I'd rather give $14 million to a top 10 CB or pass rusher.

Adams getting that much money might be a mistake. Until this year, he's been a sub-par performer. Now, in a contract year, he ends up being the "go to guy?"

I've always believed you judge a player on a "body of work," not just on a one year's level of performance. The problem is, in the NFL, that's the way it seems to go, way too often.

I honestly believe that Nelson is every bit as good as Adams, possibly better, and his savvy on the field would be of more value than Adams next year, except Thompson and McCarthy have spoken, and they liked what Adams did with Hundley, even though they did not evaluate him in conjunction with a good QB. He was the guy who ran the routes that Hundley could understand, not the routes that are usually game changers.

If you judge how Nelson played in the one game that Rodgers was back, that's not a valid point of reference. The entire offense was cut to what Hundley could handle, and they had Rodgers focusing on Adams.

Also, nobody is thinking in terms of the fact that it was obvious Nelson was playing with a bad shoulder for quite some time. Also overlooked is the fact that early in the season, when the Packers were racking up wins, it was Nelson making big plays, and moving the chains.

I don't like this bandwagon thing. I'm hearing the same things as I did when Cobb had his "great contract year," and gouged the Packers for a big chunk of guaranteed money, just like Adams. People forget way too soon.

If anything, I'm leery of guys who have great contract years. It tells me they were loafing until they saw the chance to make big bucks, and after they get it, they're going to return to being loafers. Why not? They have nothing to play for. It was all paid out front.

No way should we keep both Cobb and Nelson with Adams signed. Too much money tied up in sub par WR's. Cobb needs to go. He is way overpaid. Davis or Monty can take his spot with ease. Jordy needs to be looked at hard and see if he can restructure his contract. Why would he want to leave GB at his age and leave AR. Would be stupid. Restructure him and pay him less. Draft a WR in 1, 2, or 3 round. We have Allison and I think Clark is an up and comer.

Oh. And you don't pay someone because they deserve it. You pay them because they have proven their worth. Adams is now way overpaid as well. I am with Mark on this one. I think the Adams signing bites them in the butt. We could have had avg WR's and AR would have made them look above avg. Spend the money on some FA D players that can impact this team. Instead, we will continue to be the same average team that loses in the playoffs because of it. IMHO of course. :)

Back