Packers sign former Broncos OLB Lerentee McCray

Because McCray was effectively released by the Broncos, he does not count toward the compensatory draft pick formular for next season. Like tight end Jared Cook, he classifies as a "street" free agent.

the thompson way. undrafted free agents and street free agents. don't want to take a chance at losing out on an extra sixth round draft pick.

the thompson way. undrafted free agents and street free agents. don't want to take a chance at losing out on an extra sixth round draft pick.

Ted has only signed 8 true UFA in his time as GM. Last one was in 2012 when he signed Jeff Saturday.

Ted's list of UFA:

Name of player/Position/Year Signed/Games Played in GB

Ryan Pickett, DT (2006): 110 games
Charles Woodson, CB/S (2006): 100 games
Brandon Chillar, LB (2008): 34 games
Marquand Manuel, S (2006): 16 games
Adrian Klemm, G (2005): 16 games
Frank Walker, CB (2007): 12 games
Ben Taylor, LB (2006): 10 games
Jeff Saturday, C (2012): 14 games

Ted's list of comp picks:

2015: DL Christian Ringo 6th; TE Kennard Backman 6th
2014: TE Richard Rodgers 3rd; WR Jared Abbrederis 5th
2013: DL Josh Boyd 5th
2012: DL Mike Daniels 4th; S Jeron McMillian 4th; OL Andrew Datko 7th; QB B.J. Coleman 7th
2011: CB Davon House 4th
2010: OL Marshall Newhouse 5th
2009: No comp picks
2008: G Josh Sitton 4th
2007: LS Clark Harris 7th
2006: OL Tony Moll 5th; DE Dave Tollefson 7th
2005: No comp picks

Last edited:
ST guy and a little depth for camp and preseason. Like Z said better upside then the Palmers of the world.

Nice job on FAs and Comp signings guys!

Looking over the lists, Thompson scored 2 Pro Bowlers off both lists.... FAs: Woods on and Pickett. And off Como picks Daniels and Sutton.

Too early to judge last 2 year's comp picks. However think it's obvious that he's had a a lot of misses and few "just guy" players.

Remove the 4 Pro Bowlers and the grades for both Comp and FA would be in the D area.

The biggest gamble was Woodson who was coming off injury and many thought was washed up. Though Woodson paid off huge, his original signing was a bargain and not the typical major FA signing we see going on across the league.​

Looking over the lists, Thompson scored 2 Pro Bowlers off both lists.... FAs: Woods on and Pickett. And off Como picks Daniels and Sutton.

Too early to judge last 2 year's comp picks. However think it's obvious that he's had a a lot of misses and few "just guy" players.

Remove the 4 Pro Bowlers and the grades for both Comp and FA would be in the D area.

The biggest gamble was Woodson who was coming off injury and many thought was washed up. Though Woodson paid off huge, his original signing was a bargain and not the typical major FA signing we see going on across the league.​

Goes to show you Ted relies on comp picks to pan out more then UFA. He has hit on 2 out of 15 comp picks in Daniels and Sitton. He hit on 2 out of his 8 UFA picks but you look at the list of UFA they were either backups to start with or guys who many thought were at the end of the line.

Hey! We signed a linebacker that played for Denver last season! Why isn't everyone mor excited?

Isn't that exactly what we wanted?

sc))

If you remove all of his successes, then yes, TT sure does suck ;)

I added the comp pick rounds to the listing above. Considering the normal miss -rate in those lower rounds, getting a couple of pro-bowlers and some others who started (but not starred) isn't all that bad.

I guess you and GNP4 have a very different definition of a hit in low rounds of the draft than I do... Heck, if a 4th or especially lower round guy gives ANY production outside of STs, that's a hit in my book. Daniels and Sitton were slam dunks. House gave a 4th rounder's worth. Moll and Newhouse weren't good, but still had combined 49 starts for us. Tollefson and Harris carved out long careers for other teams. I guess the only one I'm sore about is McMillian - any UFA safety would've been better than him.

While I would like for TT to take a bit more chances with UFAs, and not worry about losing some low round comp picks, getting two 4th rounders for House and ageing Tramon is highway robbery.

Back