Packers decline Datone Jones' 5th year option

salmar80

Reaction score
Rob Demovsky
ESPN Staff Writer

The Packers will decline the fifth-year option on 2013 first-round draft pick Datone Jones, according to a source. Jones is now in a prove-it season.

The option year would've been 8M for one year, according to http://nfltraderumors.co/2016-fifth-year-option-tracker/

Datone's production hasn't come close to matching that, and it would be too much to even use as an extension leverage.

We didn't pick up the option on Perry, and managed to extend him for cheaper anyways. Definitely a make or break year for Datone.

EDIT: The amount would've been 6.75M according to trustier ESPN: http://espn.go.com/blog/green-bay-p...in-prove-it-year-after-packers-decline-option

Last edited:
The option year is guaranteed, and for picks 11-32, it's the average of third through twenty-fifth highest salaries at a player's position.

A guy essentially needs to become at least a good full-time starter to earn it. But just because we didn't exercise the option, it doesn't mean Datone is outta the door in 2017.

Perry's option would've been $7,751,000. We re-signed him for $4,875,000.

Next year Ha Ha's option will very likely be picked up. Safety's option at his draft slot would've been $5.6M this year, well worth it, IMHO.

I really like Jones but he isn't worth 5 million at this point. I hope he proves it and earns a big contract in Green Bay, but he will really need to step it up.

There were 11 other first rounders from that draft whose teams declined their 5th year options too.

I really like Jones but he isn't worth 5 million at this point. I hope he proves it and earns a big contract in Green Bay, but he will really need to step it up.

Never say never. Look at Nick Perry Packers declined the option on him and then probably over paid him on a 1 year deal. So would not be shocked if Jones has a ok but nothing great year and Ted does the same thing giving him a 1 year deal in the 4-5 range.

Never say never. Look at Nick Perry Packers declined the option on him and then probably over paid him on a 1 year deal. So would not be shocked if Jones has a ok but nothing great year and Ted does the same thing giving him a 1 year deal in the 4-5 range.
I think it was the right call to not pickup the option, but I wouldn't call Datone outright bust like some people do.

But with Daniels as our main inside rusher, Pep as main elephant OLB, and CMIII as main pure pass rusher, I doubt Datone gets enough chances to shine to warrant a contract surpassing that $6.757M option.

If he keeps developing, we'll need options at the elephant position once Pep is gone, and gotta keep pass rush stocked, so Datone may very well be back on some kinda deal.

Here's from my PFF analysis thingie:
DE Datone Jones +5.3, 27th/57 3-4DEs - Too hastily called a bust, Datone is starting to live up to his high draft status. Is another one who has clearly improved year after year. Was used as a elephant OLB late, and graded OK there. As a DE, he was a pass rushing force in limited snaps (430). Graded 22nd in pass rushing, and impressive 9th in pass rush productivity/snap. Produced 3 sacks and 30 total pressures. Had by far his best season vs the run, grading 28th. Has earned himself more snaps.

What are we paying Nick Perry this year? sh))

As a DE, he was a pass rushing force in limited snaps (430). Graded 22nd in pass rushing, and impressive 9th in pass rush productivity/snap.

he's better than a lot of people give him credit for.

Back