Packers 2023-24 Season Thread

If they trade him, I'm guessing a team would do something like a 1st or 2nd round pick this year and a conditional pick for 2024 that only comes to GB if Rodgers doesn't retire. I think there's probably a team stupid enough to give up a Day 1 pick for him.
If a team gets a offer of a 1st for Rodgers I will be first in line willing to chip in for the moving van. Also though because of Rodgers contract any draft pick they would get will need to be for 2024 as GB will have to trade him post June 1st to spread out cap hit trading him.

Last edited:
If a team gets a offer of a 1st for Rodgers I will be first in line willing to chip in for the moving van. Also though because of Rodgers contract any draft pick they would get will need to be for 2024 as GB will have to trade him post June 1st to spread out cap hit trading him.

I kinda doubt they can do a post-June 1st deal. Most teams would want to be set and know their situation before the draft. The Packers just might be willing to take the CAP hit this year to move on - rip off the band-aid.

I kinda doubt they can do a post-June 1st deal. Most teams would want to be set and know their situation before the draft. The Packers just might be willing to take the CAP hit this year to move on - rip off the band-aid.
A deal could be made, in principle, where the two teams have already agreed to terms, and thereby execute the trade. It could even involve the draft itself. It could start, appearing to be a trade of draft picks, included in this year's draft, and "future considerations," which could include them getting Rodgers.

It's all in how much the two teams would trust each other.

A deal could be made, in principle, where the two teams have already agreed to terms, and thereby execute the trade. It could even involve the draft itself. It could start, appearing to be a trade of draft picks, included in this year's draft, and "future considerations," which could include them getting Rodgers.

Can’t designate a trade as post-June 1 under any circumstances. Can’t play with it.

I’m with 57 on this one, I think they would just take the cap hit sooner in order to get the draft assets to use with Love.

Would the league actually allow that level of trickery/manipulation? I mean "future considerations" is easy if you're swapping late round draft picks next year, but would they actually allow a team to trade away a first round draft pick in April for an early June Aaron Rodgers. There is so much risk for the team getting the "future consideration". What if AR gets injured after the draft and pre-June 1 in some sort of work-out injury, or even something non-football related.

I've never seen anything at that level done for a futures type deal so I'm honestly asking if that is something the league would allow to happen.

Would the league actually allow that level of trickery/manipulation? I mean "future considerations" is easy if you're swapping late round draft picks next year, but would they actually allow a team to trade away a first round draft pick in April for an early June Aaron Rodgers. There is so much risk for the team getting the "future consideration". What if AR gets injured after the draft and pre-June 1 in some sort of work-out injury, or even something non-football related.

I've never seen anything at that level done for a futures type deal so I'm honestly asking if that is something the league would allow to happen.
No, no, and absolutely not.

If it can't happen, how is it that teams draft a player that is for another team, because he's going to go to them later? For future considerations? How can a team negotiate, in principle, a deal with a club they will be traded to, before they're traded? Both happen. Both are legit. Watch the timing on the deals. That June 1 date is often between the agreement and the date of execution of the deal.

More deals are made below the table on player trades than anyone would dare to admit. The difference between tampering and these trades is an under the table agreement by both franchises.

Packers I believe can't take a cap hit trading Rodgers before the draft that it would have to be a post June 1st trade for the cap so GB would have no choice but to take 2024 draft picks in the trade.

If it can't happen, how is it that teams draft a player that is for another team, because he's going to go to them later? For future considerations? How can a team negotiate, in principle, a deal with a club they will be traded to, before they're traded? Both happen. Both are legit. Watch the timing on the deals. That June 1 date is often between the agreement and the date of execution of the deal.

More deals are made below the table on player trades than anyone would dare to admit. The difference between tampering and these trades is an under the table agreement by both franchises.
I think NFL banned trades that have past or future considerations a long time ago about 15-20 years ago.

Packers I believe can't take a cap hit trading Rodgers before the draft that it would have to be a post June 1st trade for the cap so GB would have no choice but to take 2024 draft picks in the trade.
Yes. This would be true.

Now, imagine the Packers work out a deal with.... let's say the 49ers, for Rodgers, but the trade will take place after June 1, because of the cap. Let's say the final go ahead on the deal is made just before the 49ers make their first round pick in 2023.

Now, the Packers and 49ers agree that "if" the 49ers did draft "Joe Blow" in the first round they'd be willing to take him as part of a trade that takes place after June 1. So, the 49ers make that pick, and lo and behold, after June 1, the trade goes down and here's Joe Blow as part of the deal.

That would be a trade agreement made "in principle," prior to the draft, and prior to the June 1 deadline, but nothing done until after June 1. It's exactly what I was talking about from the start.

To think deals like this don't happen, or can't happen, because of rules, doesn't make sense. Why? Because the whole scenario is designed to create this kind of chicanery.

Back