Official Preseason Game 1 Green Bay vs San Francisco Thread

I thought Love looked fine. Not great, not bad, but fine. He appears more confident, and the box score GMs are going to be up in arms over the three INTs when really only one could really be on him but it sounds like the routes were wrong.

Four flat out drops, two directly leading to INTs… doesn’t instill much confidence in the youth of the receiving corps.

Otherwise, meh. Two teams going through the motions and playing backups and running vanilla blech.

Watson really needs to play vs Saints this guy needs as much live action as he can get.

I thought Love looked fine. Not great, not bad, but fine. He appears more confident, and the box score GMs are going to be up in arms over the three INTs when really only one could really be on him but it sounds like the routes were wrong.

Four flat out drops, two directly leading to INTs… doesn’t instill much confidence in the youth of the receiving corps.

Otherwise, meh. Two teams going through the motions and playing backups and running vanilla blech.
Mark made a good point about Love throwing to a spot on the field on that third one. Tjat's congruent with what Matt was saying, makes a lot of sense.

I'd still like to see better ball placement tho. Does it seem like he's more accurate when he throws it hard on a line? Seems like the accuracy is more of an issue when he tries to put put some air under it. Might just need some work on his touch passes.

Mark made a good point about Love throwing to a spot on the field on that third one. Tjat's congruent with what Matt was saying, makes a lot of sense.

I'd still like to see better ball placement tho. Does it seem like he's more accurate when he throws it hard on a line? Seems like the accuracy is more of an issue when he tries to put put some air under it. Might just need some work on his touch passes.
Big issue I saw with Love is he went thru checks but when decided to with a guy looked him down for a couple seconds before throwing DB's will always jump on that he has to learn not to stare down a guy before he throws.

SMH idiot Packers fans I swear so many hate Love will make any excuse to blame him.

Told one on twitter that Davis was at fault for the 1st INT it bounched right off his hands. Of course response was it's Love's fault that he threw into double coverage and if Davis caught it it would have only been for a 1 yard gain and Love should have never threw the pass. Another complained he missed Winfree by 5 yards on a pass.

I swear these Love haters would complain if Love was 20 of 30 with 4 TD passes saying he should have been 30 of 30 with 6 TD passes.

Again I think you are misunderstanding what's going on offensively and this post is for the group as a whole...go up and listen to Dan O video, the WR 99.9% which are coming from a spread concept run a set route and it's up to the WR to adjust his route not the QB to adjust.

ML wants the ball out fast and to a spot, the WR has to read that coverage and get to his spot if it's an in pattern and he ran an out....then that's a pick for Rodgers or any other QB as well.

For those of you in doubt go back to ML year 1 and remember that the audibles are built into the offense, thats the WR adjusting his route to the coverage in front of him....the QB job is easy....get the ball to that spot and out of your hands.

If your WR can't get open to the spot it's going to get ugly.sb(
I read an article about this a couple weeks ago and it was about how NFL teams have adapted the spread in their schemes and SF was talking about all that. Throwing to spots and making WR adjust etc. Good post, Mark.

Regarding the guys who came off PUP:
- they could really use Tonyan, the rest of the TEs do not impress as passing targets
- hopefully Jenkins is ready to go within a few weeks. Even by week 3 would be good. The right side of the line was just plain bad on Friday. Hanson was bad, Newman was disappointing. Jenkins would be a huge help.
- Watson coming back is good, but I hope they're not rushing things. He needs to be 100% and him taking up a roster spot for multiple weeks early in the season, before he's ready, doesn't make sense to me.

In general, the game on Friday highlighted the known problems - o-line is not really good as currently configured. They probably should have picked up a veteran tackle. If Jenkins is back soon they'll be okay. The run blocking was poor on most plays and the pass blocking was just so-so. It needs to be better. Taking Hanson out of the line-up will help.

The secondary lacks adequate depth. They can't afford any injuries at CB or S this year or things will get tough.

I noticed they were working out Zach Tom at LG yesterday. Seems odd. Runyan isn't the problem. Maybe it's just part of cross-training him at all spots. I'd like to see them throw Tom in at either RG or RT and remove Hanson from the starting group. Tom wasn't great on Friday but he looked okay in spurts - better than Hanson.

Back