Official 2016 Packers Training Camp Thread

Anybody hear if we had any serious injuries last night? I suppose no news is good news...

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 4s5 seconds ago
#Packers one-on-ones: Spriggs 8-0. Barclay and Murphy 7-1. Bulaga and Bakhtiari 4-0.

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 22m22 minutes ago
MM on PUP guys: Lang getting close to practicing but nothing changed with other five.

Green Bay Packers ‏@packers 20m20 minutes ago
McCarthy: Night practice is a big change for everybody. Our players enjoy the atmosphere that our fans create. Best atmosphere to work in.

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 19m19 minutes ago
McCarthy on Clark: Has stood out in individual drills and is off to a good start. Not far [enough] along to give much analysis, though.

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 19m19 minutes ago
Ripkowski has taken step forward at fullback, McCarthy says. "I really like what he's doing."

Green Bay Packers ‏@packers 17m17 minutes ago
McCarthy: I think Kenny (Clark) has really stood out in individual work in padded practices. He's off to a good start.

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 14m14 minutes ago
there's some "judgment on the time clock" on what's a catch/not a catch, McCarthy said.

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 13m13 minutes ago
McCarthy said players will have a chance to go to the Hall of Fame ceremony if they choose to see Favre inducted on Saturday night. #packers

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 3m3 minutes ago
Cobb, Hyde, Trevor Davis and Arena League speedster Harvey Binford fielding punts.

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 9m9 minutes ago
Not only is Starks out but Burks just hobbled off. Thin at RB.

Michael Cohen
‏@Michael_Cohen13
Interesting note: We saw Jared Abbrederis take a handoff up the middle during a no-huddle drill

Ryan Wood ‏@ByRyanWood 5m5 minutes ago
#Packers WR Davante Adams nice adjustment, catches Aaron Rodgers' cross-field throw downfield. CB Sam Shields beat, didn't compete for ball.

‏@TomSilverstein
No one making the great catch tonight. Lots of balls bouncing off hands. Tough catches but need to be made.

Ryan Wood ‏@ByRyanWood 2m2 minutes ago
He has a mountain of receivers to climb, but I've been impressed with Geronimo Allison. Candidate for #Packers practice squad.

Jay Sorgi ‏@jsorgi 7m7 minutes ago
Cobb and Adams doing ridiculous hand eye coordination drills catching tennis balls bounced against a wall three feet away

Zachary Jacobson ‏@ZachAJacobson 1h1 hour ago
Spriggs losing his first one-on-one battle (12-1) isn't a bad look at all. More impressed by OLB McCray managing to emerge as the victor.

A few thoughts going into training camp and after a week of camp.
QB-Hundley seems to be a great pick and all the feedback from the first week has been great. The 5 games will do him well and will probably lead to us keeping 2 QB's

RB-Lacey looks in shape and it appears to be Crocketts job to lose for the 3rd RB. A lot less excited about this group then last year, but hoping we can find a guy with some speed.

FB-Rips job to lose and if he gets injured kuhn is still un signed.

TE-Cook is on PUP and R. Rodgers has slimmed down. Interested to see where they go at the 3rd TE, lot of hype last year on Henry and Perillo is a reliable tank. Got to think with the amount of time they waited on Bostic, they'll have a short leash on Backman.

WR-Where to start Nelson/Montgomery are on PUP and no real news on Cobb. The next question is how many WR will they keep? They kept 6 for the most part last year and this year they can get away with only having 2 QB's on the roster so I think they go 7. Davis has had a nice week but I still think he's the odd man out un less he can keep it up all camp. Also think with the extra week and 5 games, this could be a battle of attrition.

T-No camp battle here, but I think Murphy or James are going to have to really impress to stay on the roster. Tretter is probably the emergency 4th followed by Walker.

G-Lang and Sittons are on the last year of their deals, so we'll want to watch Taylor and Walker closely. This is another spot on the line Tretter can play.

C-MM wouldn't talk about a camp battle but have to think following Linsley poor performance this is one of the lesser talked about battles. Health also plays a role as Tretter I would assume would be the first up at Guard.

CB-Really no battles here since the nickel D is basically a starting D. Interested to see who they go to in the slot, they've already given reps to both Rollins and Randall. I have to think Randall would slightly better suited. Also interested to see what Perry can do with the lesser known players, heard a few things about Daniel and Jette.

S-Really no story here-Burnett/Haha/Banjo and Randall or Hyde could play there if needed. We'll see what the 2 no names can do or if they're just camp bodies

OLB-Huge year for Perry if he can stay healthy as it appears they'll use Peppers less. How will Jones work playing in space? He'll be taking over the elephant for Neal.

ILB-Big fight going on for both starting position, but the biggest question is the nickel and dime ILB. Martinez has played well, but hard to judge a rookie who has never played a snap in the NFL. I'm interested to see if they bring Burnett down and replace him with Randall or Hyde as S. Ryan and Barrington have zero chance as the dime ILB, i'm fairly positive Thomas comes back.

DL-This is where the Packers and scary thin right now and that's not including Pennel's 4 game suspension. We know Daniels is a 3 down player, but Guion took a step back at the end of the last year. We also have to hope ted hit one out of the park with Clark. After those 3 there's a baron waste land and there's not a lot of camp bodies. I'll say what I said in the training camp thread, why waste all these camp spots on WR/CB/OLB spots when you have such few DL in camp?

K-Nothing

P-Masthay leading the local kid after 1 week. Although it seems like the local guy can hold for Mason unlike the guy they brought in last year.

L/S-Alive and breathing and Gode has yet to sign with anyone.

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 23s23 seconds ago
TE Richard Rodgers hit the ground hard. Comes up limping some. We'll see if he comes back.

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 9m9 minutes ago
There's the great catch that was missing. Davante Adams with a one-hander on the sideline. Juggled and gathered before going OB. Great catch

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 12m12 minutes ago
As McCarthy said last night Kenny Clark is going to be getting a ton of snaps now. He's starting NT in 3-4 with Daniels and Guion.

Jason Wilde ‏@jasonjwilde 51s51 seconds ago Ashwaubenon, WI
And Davante Adams incredible night continues. After one-handed sideline grab, goes up/over Quinten Rollins to reel in Rodgers' 49-yard bomb.

@WesHod
Dean Lowry bats a Hundley pass at LOS. That's what a 6-6 end can give you

Most as been covered. Nice job fellas...

Sounds like Adams is having a bounce back practice. Making big plays. My opinion the guy makes a nice play but face plants on one's he should make. Time to get consistent!!

My camp favorite Allison is killing it again tonight. Going to be hard to stash him on ps
Kid is a football player

Dick rod is limping

Fack with a pick with pressure from forgotten Bradford

Clark starting at nt.

Watched parts of Family Night but not all of it so I may have missed some things. WR play seemed kind of spotty. Neither Adams or Janis seems to want that #3 WR spot. With Monty sitting for now, he's not really a factor either. Davis is a rookie so probably doesn't figure in. Could Abby seize that job if he stays healthy??

Was not impressed with the back-up o-line, but with 2 starters out, the 2nd team included some guys who might not figure into the mix. Still awaiting the pre-season games to see how the 2nd group looks when the whole group is at full strength. I think we might see Ted keep more than usual with 3 contracts ending in the spring of 2017. Could we see as many as 10? It would be unusual for Ted, BUT the numbers at RB, FB, QB and TE are so thin that keeping 10 becomes possible. If you keep only 2xQB, 3xRB, 1xFB and 3xTE, that makes 9. If you keep 25 on the offensive side of the ball, you can keep 6xWR and 10xOL. I don't think those are necessarily optimal numbers, and it's certainly early, but I really don't see a QB, RB, or TE right now that is good enough to warrant keeping more than those numbers.

On defense the DL looked pretty solid and Clark looks good. Too early to know what you have at ILB. Lots of depth at OLB, and Perry is looking pretty good. Also looks like we have a solid group at DB and Gunter seems poised to take a strong run at the dime spot this year.

My very early impressions, before any game action, is that there seem to be a high number of 1st and 2nd year guys who look like they can actually play. Clark, Spriggs, Martinez, Davis, Rollins, Randall, Gunter, even Geronimo Allison maybe haven't been perfect but they all look like they can do it. That's to say nothing of Hundley, who right now has maybe higher expectations than anyone.

Let's see if those impressions are confirmed after a couple games.

Back