Offense as a whole

So it's early yet but here's a philosophical question: starting with 2nd half against the Bears, and continuing against the Falcons, the coaches have put the ball in Aaron's hand and abandoned any pretense of running the ball consistently, and it's pretty undeniable that the O has looked better than it has all year. Short rhythm passes, even some longer stuff coming around: AR seems to be seeing the field better, hanging in the pocket a little better, more accurate and trusting the young guys. So should MM ride the hot hand while it's hot? Or should MM insist upon developing the running game like he's talked about, as recently as today? The more Aaron has to pass the better the odds he takes a nasty hit, but if it's working how do you stop?

Curious what the board thinks.

So it's early yet but here's a philosophical question: starting with 2nd half against the Bears, and continuing against the Falcons, the coaches have put the ball in Aaron's hand and abandoned any pretense of running the ball consistently, and it's pretty undeniable that the O has looked better than it has all year. Short rhythm passes, even some longer stuff coming around: AR seems to be seeing the field better, hanging in the pocket a little better, more accurate and trusting the young guys. So should MM ride the hot hand while it's hot? Or should MM insist upon developing the running game like he's talked about, as recently as today? The more Aaron has to pass the better the odds he takes a nasty hit, but if it's working how do you stop?

Curious what the board thinks.
You run the ball and play great defense to win titles. Your correct it's a matter of time before super 12 gets nailed and hurt maybe badly. The spread ..pass pass pass is fun to watch but you can go too fast and never rest your defense thus they are tired late and yesterday happens.

Frankly it's a damned if you do..damned if you don't thing right now. Indy is an easy defense . After that it's 3 on the road.

Agree that we're damned either way. With our RB situation you don't have a choice right now. We aren't real strong so you might as well play to your strength. We could probably pass, pass pass our way to the playoffs, but then we might be one and done.

Agree that we're damned either way. With our RB situation you don't have a choice right now. We aren't real strong so you might as well play to your strength. We could probably pass, pass pass our way to the playoffs, but then we might be one and done.
We can't pass our way out of a wet paper bag at this point and time. No playoffs for our Packers this year

We can't pass our way out of a wet paper bag at this point and time. No playoffs for our Packers this year

Injuries = Lack of production and effectiveness. ;)

Just like multiple people have said on here, there is disfunction everywhere. AR is obviously unhappy with MM and TT and the way they have done things. Of course, AR is an egotistical ass. He can certainly call out other players but he needs to take a hard look in the mirror. We have the BOD who just cares that we are financially stable and refuse to get into the football operations aspect.
As TW stated above, AR might have lost his vision. I agree that he does tend to look for the big play more often then not. He does ignore newer WR's because he has trust issues (and an ego) but there are other things that have happened in the last few years as well.
I have looked at the tapes of 2010-2011 and last years and this years tapes. This is what I have found:
1) WR Talent- I went back and looked at the tapes of games in 2010 and 2011. Our WR's were Greg Jennings (in his prime), Donald Driver (still an 800-1,000 yard WR), James Jones (very solid 3rd WR), and finally Jordy Nelson (Just starting to hit his prime). We had speed and good route runners yes; however, also 4 really good WR's that could not be doubled by defensive corners. Yes, we did do some things differently like have more 4 and 5 WR sets as well as run more slants and routes over the short middle but we still depended on deep routes a lot of the time. These WR's were just better at getting deep and getting open when AR escaped the pocket.
2) Arm Elasticity- Again watching the tapes from 2010-2011 and the last year of crapiness, you can see the difference. AR is not throwing fundamentally sound and over the top like he used to in his prime. He now throws a titch to the side. This may not mean a lot to the average fan or fans that have not coached the QB position before but it makes a huge difference. This has to do with arm elasticity and QB's losing strength and flexibility in their arm. A major reason why AR is not as accurate on certain throws as well as getting the ball out as quickly. Another thing I have noticed is AR refuses to throw into tight windows like he used to in 2010-2011. This could be due to AR not trusting his arm anymore as well as him not trusting his WR group like in 2010-2011.
3. Film Study- Now I have no basis or facts on the film study but a QB can have all the talent in the world and be super athletic but if he does not study film on a consistent basis every week, the offense will suffer. From some of the comments we have seen AR make last year and this year, we can all tell he is not putting in the time on film study anymore. This could be part of the vision issue TW mentioned. So much about the QB position is about timing and looking at all your reads quickly. At times yesterday, AR was not getting thru all of his reads before he ran out of time and had to escape the pocket. Some of that can be on the o-line but a lot of it is on AR. He is not getting thru his reads as quickly as he was in 2010-2011. (that I can tell you) This o-line has been giving AR plenty of time to get thru those reads on a consistent basis. (Maybe Sitton called AR out on this in particular and this was part of the reason Sitton was released)
So there you have it. My analysis of AR's issues and decline in the last year or so.
This is the perfect storm. TT not drafting enough talent at WR, MM not having enough balls to call AR out and get him to fix his fundamentals and leadership, and losing a very good offensive coordinator/QB coach has made the Packer offense what it is. Unfortunately, we get to see its demise and this teams demise in the next few years.
Here's to liquor! br)

I was listening to Bill Scott last night in some very late post game production stuff, and he was explaining his reasoning for why he said that, after the Sitton release, the Packers would go 9-7.

It didn't have anything to do with the difference between Sitton and Taylor, but everything to do with Sitton being vocal about the team and about contract stuff, and that the other guys who were at or near the end of their contracts (and there are quite a few of those) seeing what happened and guess that it would really fracture the locker room.

Makes sense.

I think the locker room fracturing started two years ago against Seattle and has continued to demise. I think that is when MM lost this team.

I was listening to Bill Scott last night in some very late post game production stuff, and he was explaining his reasoning for why he said that, after the Sitton release, the Packers would go 9-7.

It didn't have anything to do with the difference between Sitton and Taylor, but everything to do with Sitton being vocal about the team and about contract stuff, and that the other guys who were at or near the end of their contracts (and there are quite a few of those) seeing what happened and guess that it would really fracture the locker room.
I think that the LR is fractured and they made it worse...believe the D and O are divided and there maybe some "groups" within those groups as well. This team is jumpy. A good many see the writing on the wall that the core group won't be back.

Weird vibe in GB... it's been a long time since I felt it. Lindy's last yr comes to mind.

Back