NITRO!!!

oakleaf

Reaction score
Sounds like Capers has a "new" scheme based on speed. The name is cool anyway - NITRO!!!

Capers said to Packernews.com, "We like the flexibility it gives us especially week to week when you're playing different styles of offenses. A lot of these offenses, are just looking for matchups now. You've got to be able to match up with the same caliber of athlete."

Sounds like it's the nickel defense he used where the safety plays middle linebacker we've talked about before. Must now be a permanent fixture that we'll be seeing a lot of since it's now got a name.

Let's hope it works as well as Psycho did in 2010 and is not another bust Elephant proved to be.

The idea will work if you get a big enough push from your front three, and you have 4 linebackers who know how to blitz from all areas of the field. The objective has to be gaining mismatches, and causing confusion in blocking assignments, to get defenders into the offensive backfield quicker. If they don't get there.... Ouch!!!

For years, some of us have talked about the need for a guy with safety speed and skills, encompassed in the 6-5 body of a 260# linebacker, who has all the makings of being a ballet star.

If you find these players, you can say Capers' defense will be a success. The idea is to get the QB to throw the ball early.

Not 6'5" or 260#, but Josh Jones might be a good fit as a 220#, 6'2", speedy safety with an ILB mentality! Sounds like a demanding role for him and Burnett. As you know, I'm not a Capers fan - his schemes sometimes bother me and I believe the reason we can't make it to the next level (SB) rests solely on the defense. This is a step in the right direction and getting it right (and staying healthy) will be critical to making it past top tier teams with good QBs that tear us up in the playoffs.

It seems the Nitro would be an answer to our previous inability to cover anyone crossing the middle of the field. Not enough push up the middle and just average cover LBs spelled our doom. Nitro puts more speed on the field. With Burnett/Jones taking reps at ILB we should be able to cover the 3rd down backs out of the backfield. It also gets guys not afraid to hit on the field- Brice and Jones. Time to get some fear into the opposing WRs. They are way too comfortable running against our defense.

The problem with this defense is that you're really at risk against teams who can field 4 solid WRs, and spread the field. They would pick it apart with quick look-ins, and quick crossing routes from the outside guys, punctuated by the outside guys doing a stop, then turning it up field, getting one on one isolation on the sidelines.

This is exactly the type of routes that has made Nelson a great receiver. He can win those hand fights. Our shorter CBs will get eaten alive, if the rush isn't really one of the best in the league.

What sounds good for us, on defense, might just make some teams smile, while picking it apart.

Knowing Capers, he'd blame it on personnel "not doing their job."

The problem with this defense is that you're really at risk against teams who can field 4 solid WRs, and spread the field. They would pick it apart with quick look-ins, and quick crossing routes from the outside guys, punctuated by the outside guys doing a stop, then turning it up field, getting one on one isolation on the sidelines.

This is exactly the type of routes that has made Nelson a great receiver. He can win those hand fights. Our shorter CBs will get eaten alive, if the rush isn't really one of the best in the league.

What sounds good for us, on defense, might just make some teams smile, while picking it apart.

Knowing Capers, he'd blame it on personnel "not doing their job."

Correct... and why are defense is struggling vs our first string Offense. Not enough horses in the stable for Nitro to work consistently unless GB goes out and acquires another stud pass rusher. Sometimes I think Dom out thinks himself defensively.

QB Pressure was not an issue last year. The Packers D-line was very good in pass rush and solid in run stopping. It was poor secondary play and slow middle linebacker play that killed the D. I'm not sure "Nitro" is the answer but more speed on the field can't hurt.

I found this article from January that kind of says the same thing.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-ranking-all-32-defensive-front-sevens-this-season

The Packers’ defense has been hounded for their incompetency all season long, but those struggles almost entirely reside in the secondary. In fact, almost every player the Packers threw out along the defensive line performed at an above-average level—Datone Jones, Julius Peppers, Mike Daniels, Kenny Clark, Letroy Guion, and Nick Perry all fit that bill. The only thing holding Green Bay back is the lack of an impact linebacker, as the team’s highest-graded player at the position, Jake Ryan, was still only 43rd overall.

When I went to camp last week they were still running mixed zone in team period, every time they went straight zone it was chop,chop chop right down the field. If they try that with no pressure it's going to get ugly.

That's really scary, but of course, not surprising. This defense has been the weak link for years. I am expecting the same this year. As long as Capers is the coordinator I really don't see a whole lot changing.

"In fact, almost every player the Packers threw out along the defensive line performed at an above-average level—Datone Jones, Julius Peppers, Mike Daniels, Kenny Clark, Letroy Guion, and Nick Perry all fit that bill."

ummm

Back