New DC and position coaches Thread

And yet here you are bitching and whining about people bitching and whining ? We all have opinions and view points. Just because ours doesn't match yours it's whining ?
I try to frame my responses in a conversational tone. If I disagree with someone else's viewpoint I try to offer a different viewpoint with something behind it to try and justify it. When people continually just throw one liners of derogatory snippets with nothing but negativity in mind, then I might call that whining. What part of the post did you dislike? All of it? some of it? Or just the part where I asked WTF? I did mention that it is 'damn fun to speculate'.

Philibin didn't do crap with the offense when he was here. MM created the weekly play calls and called the game. Green Bay's OC is a title only.
I was under the impression that Philbin was quite respected at the time. Hell, he ended up being hired as a HC. That usually conveys a healthy repsect around the league. He ran into some personal tragedy at about the same time and didn't have a very good run as HC.

Philbin did do a good job. He may not have been in charge of the offensive game plan, or play calling, but his job was to insure that all the offensive coaches and players, were on the same page with all the play options, and actions. Demeaning that isn't really fair, because he was instrumental in making Rodgers a better QB.

Philbin just plain isn't a HC type. He's a nuts and bolts type coach. I always looked at him as being more of a choreographer of plays, and not the guy who wrote them up.

If you're looking for a "totally in-charge OC," he's definitely not your guy, but if you're looking for someone who can take your vision, and basic design, and turn it into something that works, he's right in the mix with the best.

Despite what anyone thinks, the HC, on almost all teams, either concentrates his efforts on the offense or defense, and allows more latitude to coaches on the opposite side of the ball, on his team. McCarthy is an offensive guy, and therefore much more in tune with the offense, and involved.

I believe that part of the reason the Capers defense failed was because he put Whitt in a rather strange position, since Whitt worked for Capers, but was still Assistant Head Coach. So... who did Capers report to? McCarthy, or the guy over him, who actually worked for him? It was a situation that should have never happened, and was just plain stupid!

I was under the impression that Philbin was quite respected at the time. Hell, he ended up being hired as a HC. That usually conveys a healthy repsect around the league. He ran into some personal tragedy at about the same time and didn't have a very good run as HC.
That's not the point. Capt is correct. MM OC help scout for the gameplan and set up the weekly practice schedule etc. Almost all of them except Ben I believe rarely called plays. So the point is they are NOT traditional OC as we think of them.
MM runs the roost in GB regarding calling plays. Not to mention #12 is free to check out and change them at will.

I agree that Philbin is being given too little regard and too much angst. Word from the locker room at the time was that Philbin did much of the prep work during the week.

Ultimately the play-calling is all MM, so in the end any OC's influence is pretty limited. From that perspective, why not bring Philbin back? They had a terrific offense when he was here. He obviously worked well with MM. Why not bring back a guy who MM seems to work well with. In the end this will all be about MM anyway. He could hire me as the OC and it wouldn't mean squat on game day. If Philbin was a good guy in terms of prep during the week then why not bring him back. As a plus, Philbin is an older guy with a ton of experience. He might actually get MM to listen to someone else once in a while rather than just run for sandwiches. ;)

That's not the point. Capt is correct. MM OC help scout for the gameplan and set up the weekly practice schedule etc. Almost all of them except Ben I believe rarely called plays. So the point is they are NOT traditional OC as we think of them.
MM runs the roost in GB regarding calling plays. Not to mention #12 is free to check out and change them at will.

Exactly my point. The failures, on offense, all lead directly back to the failure of McCarthy. As far as Bennett, he was never qualified to be an OC. I believe he was given the job because McCarthy wanted even more control over the offense, and wanted nothing more than a coffee chaser to run errands for him.

LSU ended any chance of Dave Aranda going anywhere by tossing him a shiny, new, $2.5m/yr contract.

McCarthy says the #Packers defense needs to be better than the offense moving forward. "That needs to happen."

McCarthy: Winston Moss, Joe Whitt Jr. & Darren Perry are the internal candidates for #Packers defensive coordinator position.

If MM wants the defense to be better then the offense, here's your 1st tip:
You don't hire any in-house candidate. You need an outside DC who's going to hold players like HHCD, Matthews, Perry, Fackrell, etc to a higher standard. None of MM's inside guys appear capable of that. The last thing MM needs is more of the same.

Anyone on the list run a 4-3? I prefer it myself the trouble is finding big DE's that can pass rush also...especially where we draft at most of the time. Unless by some stroke of luck one becomes a FA, which is rare unless bagage/injury.
Bradley runs 4-3 Seattle style( it's his scheme) with the DE split wide. Nolan has run both but shy's toward a 34 set. Del Rio has run both.

Thanks Mark! :)
Like u, I also prefer a form of the 4-3 or even Elephant.

Back