New DC and position coaches Thread

I am really confused over the offensive staff moves. Both AVP and Edgar were doing a decent job in Green Bay. Edgar had been employed here as a player or coach since the mid 90's.

The OL gives up 50 plus sacks and nothing happens there ? I am honestly not sure MM is capable of self scouting and reviewing his coaching staff.

The return of Philbin has everyone talking 2011 offense is coming back ? How ? Can he block / Can he catch passes from Aaron? I think GB has ALWAYS overvalued former players and coaches.

I'll be frank. I think the move backfires on MM

I haven't got a clue what's on the minds of the Packers any longer. There more this moves along, the more I see it all being diversions to take away from the fact that McCarthy may be getting rid of "malcontents" in his coaching staff. Disagree with him?..... Gone! Agree with him?..... Promoted!

That said, I'm having a rough time wrapping my head around him "helping" in choosing the new GM.

TW think that definitely case with Sutton and Lang also as both spoke out on things....

As for Perry for DC >>>
J Jones led the team in plays allowed of 20 yards or more with nine, followed by Ha Ha Clinton-Dix with seven.
Both his players get gashed but yeah let's promote the guy to DC bh(FP(dead(

Damn....the truth is wanted an outside guy but Perry? Ugh..thumbsdown))

Unless MM hangs himself this next season is removed. ;)

I get the Philbin hire. As it has been pointed out, MM calls the plays and the OC title is more window dressing than anything. Philbin knows this coming in and is willing to fill the role MM wants out of his OC.
Let MM fill the DC with his buddies. When it fails....there is no pointing the finger at anyone but himself. If he is half as smart as he thinks he is he should see the predicament he is in.

On the other hand, Gute seems like a good hire and we hope he will not be a TT clone. That he'll take it to a new level. If MM hires DC inhouse I hope to hell that either Witt or Perry could see the things Capers failed at and aren't CaperClones. Less faith in this scenario, but I'll hope just the same.

@AdamSchefter More Former Browns’ HC Mike Pettine is scheduled to interview for Packers’ defensive coordinator job Tuesday, per league source.

Some background on his time as a DC

After playing at Virginia, he was a high school assistant coach and head coach for 12 seasons with two years as a graduate assistant at Pitt sandwiched in there. In 2002 Pettine made the jump to the NFL, joining the Ravens and serving in a variety of roles before becoming the outside linebackers coach in 2005. When Rex Ryan was hired as the Jets head coach in 2009, he took Pettine with him as his defensive coordinator.

2009 Jets (9-7)
Rankings: Yards 4,037 (1st), points 236 (1st), takeaways 31 (8th), 3rd down conversion 31.5% (1st), DVOA -25.5% (1st)
Notable players: CB Darrelle Revis*+, DE Shaun Ellis*, LB Calvin Pace, LB Bart Scott
The Jets had a middle of the pack defense in 2008 and they became a dominant unit. Revis went from being a good player to a great one as the Jets defense carried the team to the AFC championship game.

2010 Jets (11-5)
Rankings: Yards 4,664 (3rd), points 304 (6th), takeaways 30 (8th), 3rd down conversion 37.0% (10th), DVOA -10.9 (5th)
Notable players: CB Revis*+, CB Antonio Cromartie, LB Bart Scott, LB David Harris
The defense took a step back from its dominant 2009 form but it was still a solid top-five unit as the Jets again made the AFC title game, winning in New England along the way.

2011 Jets (8-8)
Rankings: Yards 4,993 (5th), points 363 (20th), takeaways 31 (5th), 3rd down conversions 32.7% (4th), DVOA -16.1% (2nd)
Notable players: CB Revis*+, LB Harris, LB Pace
The team’s record took another step back but the defense remained strong.

2012 Jets (6-10)
Rankings: Yards 5,174 (8th), points 375 (20th), takeaways 23 (18th), 3rd down conversions 37.2% (12th), DVOA -16.1% (2nd)
Notable players: CB Cromartie*, S LaRon Landry*, DE Muhammad Wilkerson
Revis went out with a torn ACL in the second game of the season but the defense held things together reasonably well. After the season Ryan survived but Pettine, whose contract had expired, was not retained.

2013 Bills (6-10)
Rankings: Yards 5,334 (10th), points 388 (20th), takeaways 30 (6th), 3rd down conversions 37.1% (14th), DVOA -13.8% (4th)
Notable players: MLB Kiko Alonso, DT Marcel Dareus*, DT Kyle Williams*, FS Jairus Byrd*, OLB Mario Williams*
The Bills were second in the league with 57 sacks and three members of their front seven were rewarded with trips to the Pro Bowl. Their DVOA improved from 27th in the league in 2012 to 4th. After the season the Browns hired Pettine as their head coach.

Back