Jim Leonhard defense

Mark87

Carpe Diem
Admin
Reaction score
Website
wisconsinsportstalk.net
So I am a bit confused and since he's not a packer but some want him...I put this thread here. So everyone hates Joe Barry's D ( I know I did) plays a fanigo style with two deep safeties and a ton of cover 6, 4, 3 etc.

My problem is that Jimmy while he gambles MORE with the blitz his coverage behind it is very Barry-like, Cover 3, cover 4, etc. If you're tired of that zone on the back end..Jimmy L isn't the right guy.

Some one explain it to me sh))

So I am a bit confused and since he's not a packer but some want him...I put this thread here. So everyone hates Joe Barry's D ( I know I did) plays a fanigo style with two deep safeties and a ton of cover 6, 4, 3 etc.

My problem is that Jimmy while he gambles MORE with the blitz his coverage behind it is very Barry-like, Cover 3, cover 4, etc. If you're tired of that zone on the back end..Jimmy L isn't the right guy.

Some one explain it to me sh))
Wisconsin homer-ism.

I don't mean to be glib, but I think that's the heart of it. He is (was?) beloved in the state, he was obviously ML's first choice in 2021. By accounts he's a good coach, and there's something to the idea of hiring the coach and not the scheme.

I don't have strong feelings one way or the other. I'm not even as hung up on scheme as I used to be. You hear a lot of "they need to play more man!" or whatever but from watching teams around the league, playing man at the wrong time with the wrong guys gets your defense absolutely roasted. Hell, look at GB this weekend - two huge plays for SF came on a blitz with the S in man - both long gains, one a TD. I think you've got to be able to mix coverages - call and play the right coverage at the right time. I do think there is something to scheme with base alignment and spacing and personnel up front, and that was lacking strongly with Barry, but I'm not so against that scheme overall or similar.

I don't mean to be glib, but I think that's the heart of it. He is (was?) beloved in the state, he was obviously ML's first choice in 2021. By accounts he's a good coach, and there's something to the idea of hiring the coach and not the scheme.

I don't have strong feelings one way or the other. I'm not even as hung up on scheme as I used to be. You hear a lot of "they need to play more man!" or whatever but from watching teams around the league, playing man at the wrong time with the wrong guys gets your defense absolutely roasted. Hell, look at GB this weekend - two huge plays for SF came on a blitz with the S in man - both long gains, one a TD. I think you've got to be able to mix coverages - call and play the right coverage at the right time. I do think there is something to scheme with base alignment and spacing and personnel up front, and that was lacking strongly with Barry, but I'm not so against that scheme overall or similar.
Can't agree, your scheme, your base IS the heart of a good defensive coach. Every great DC has a core belief. Now no one stays base as much anymore but you still have to have a core to build off. tc(

Lot of people on X trying to hype up Leonhard. I just think a big ten D is a lot different then a NFL defense. Give me a guy who's been in the NFL coaching and knows how it works. Now if Leonhard would want to become a DB coach at the NFL level and spend a few years there proving himself then we can talk about him as a NFL DC.

Can't agree, your scheme, your base IS the heart of a good defensive coach. Every great DC has a core belief. Now no one stays base as much anymore but you still have to have a core to build off. tc(
@44blitz , elaborate on that a little more for us. I know younhave extensive background in the sport so tell us about the defensive core beliefs that a DC may have. We've all hear about the Walsh coaching tree with variations of the WC offense etc., is that how the defenses are too? Are there LeBeau, Fritz Shurmur, Fangio disciples etc., is that how most defensive concepts are passed down?

@44blitz , elaborate on that a little more for us. I know younhave extensive background in the sport so tell us about the defensive core beliefs that a DC may have. We've all hear about the Walsh coaching tree with variations of the WC offense etc., is that how the defenses are too? Are there LeBeau, Fritz Shurmur, Fangio disciples etc., is that how most defensive concepts are passed down?
Bud to be honest I am not the best guy to explain that, there is a man on here who was on a defensive staff of some kind from 1993 until 2020, several of those as a dc, yes at the HS and jr college level but he went to clinics and knows more people, real coaches and players then anyone. You know who I mean, he can answer this better.

I defer to the guru guru(

Bud to be honest I am not the best guy to explain that, there is a man on here who was on a defensive staff of some kind from 1993 until 2020, several of those as a dc, yes at the HS and jr college level but he went to clinics and knows more people, real coaches and players then anyone. You know who I mean, he can answer this better.

I defer to the guru guru(
I am a draft guru does that count?

Back