Into The Future....QB

Agreed. I meant they would never bring another QB in and let him sit and learn for that period of time. In the future, anyone coming in will be plug and play while McCarthy & Thompson are there.

These are the kind of sentiments that I just don't get.

We've had both TT and MM say that the other is responsible for the roster. TT said that cutting Sitton was on McCarthy because MM has that control over the roster.

So which one was/is responsible for the 29 wide receivers on the roster and only 2 RBs? Who actually canned Callahan?
I think the answer to both questions is MM. He was pissed because his staff/confidants told him nobody would grab Callahan, so he made the move and WHAM he was gone.

Callahan reminded me of Flacco. He never appeared as anything great, but has the right tools to be a game manager, and can make big plays now and then. Watching Callahan, during preseason, reminded me of how a QB who is malleable can be a QB for the future. As for cost, Callahan comes cheap. Flacco didn't. A mid 1st round pick.

I've always believed that players with certain abilities can be molded into the player you want, simply by training them to be that person. It's a 3 to 4 year project, and you have to be patient. If you do, you end up with a system QB, and that can be pretty good.

In Hundley, I see a guy who's more polished, and is ahead of Callahan on the learning curve, but in all honesty, I didn't see him being a year ahead of him when they were both taking the field.

None of it matters, because we will never see the Packers bring in another young guy and get the magic they did with Rodgers so early on in his career.

Seriously? wideeye)) Callahan doesn't have near the arm talent Flacco has.

Hundley is still a raw project. Honestly McCarthy has done a very good job making him look serviceable. He was a train wreck at UCLA. The guy this year I take a chance on is Mahomes

Pugger - I don't agree. Callahan does have a strong arm. The objective, during the preseason, was to hit his receivers, not show his arm strength. They already knew it was there. I know there's a few doubters out there that have been throwing that around, but it's not true. Read this article. Not only strong, but accurate. Even before he got to GB.

Joe Callahan

I'll chime in....liked what little saw of him also. There is a chance he becomes available again so who knows?

How fast ppl forget. When Wolf traded a 1st for Favre all he knew how to do was throw a hard fastball. In other words had a super strong arm. Holmgren, Gruden, and Mooch made him a QB. Brett didn't even know what or how to recognize a nickel coverage when he came here.

Reactions: TW
I'll chime in....liked what little saw of him also. There is a chance he becomes available again so who knows?

How fast ppl forget. When Wolf traded a 1st for Favre all he knew how to do was throw a hard fastball. In other words had a super strong arm. Holmgren, Gruden, and Mooch made him a QB. Brett didn't even know what or how to recognize a nickel coverage when he came here.

I've always felt this story was a great one. Sometimes, you just play the game, and read what you read. In this case, he was probably better off, because he didn't have a clue how bad things could have gotten if he screwed up.

He and Ty must have had a real laugh, years later.

Favre and the Nickel D

Pugger - I don't agree. Callahan does have a strong arm. The objective, during the preseason, was to hit his receivers, not show his arm strength. They already knew it was there. I know there's a few doubters out there that have been throwing that around, but it's not true. Read this article. Not only strong, but accurate. Even before he got to GB.

Joe Callahan

Perhaps I shouldn't have said arm talent but right now he is at the bottom of the Browns' QB depth chart. I like Callahan but isn't in Flacco's league.

You're right. He's nowhere near being a Flacco. He needs to be schooled to properly use his arm. His footwork needs work, and his delivery should be cleaned up, and offer different angles. At 6-1, he needs to develop a Flutie type delivery, where he can throw around defensive linemen, not over them. He's not tall enough.

But, the arm strength is there, and the fact that he came out of DIII has to be recognized. The job he did in the GB camp was amazing, considering where he came from. I still believe this kid, under the right coaches, could be an NFL QB.

Perhaps I shouldn't have said arm talent but right now he is at the bottom of the Browns' QB depth chart. I like Callahan but isn't in Flacco's league.

To be fair, the Browns wouldn't know what to do with a good quarterback, even if they had one.

Back