Has Ted Thompson been right all along?

Evidently Ted prefers to fill our holes with draft picks rather than FAs from other teams. It can be frustrating for us fans as we watch other fans discuss all their shiny new toys on their rosters while Ted just resigns his own guys and concentrates on the draft. This year has been super active on the trade front. The only one I can think of from last year was the Saints shipping Graham off to Seattle. IMO NE is active in trades this year because they don't have a first round draft pick.

I think NE was just being proactive. They got Bennett for next to nothing and Jones was a guy that they were probalby not going to re-sign so instead of just keeping him this year and letting him go and getting a 3rd round comp pick the following year they get a 2nd rounder now this year. Good teams sniff out good deals and think ahead like this. TT seems to like trades if they only end up in his favor thus we see the lack of player trades from Ted.

Evidently Ted prefers to fill our holes with draft picks rather than FAs from other teams. It can be frustrating for us fans as we watch other fans discuss all their shiny new toys on their rosters while Ted just resigns his own guys and concentrates on the draft. This year has been super active on the trade front. The only one I can think of from last year was the Saints shipping Graham off to Seattle. IMO NE is active in trades this year because they don't have a first round draft pick.
New England is proactive. Thompson is not.

Thomson is neither proactive or reactive. He is ultra conservative but he is all we have.

I think NE was just being proactive. They got Bennett for next to nothing and Jones was a guy that they were probalby not going to re-sign so instead of just keeping him this year and letting him go and getting a 3rd round comp pick the following year they get a 2nd rounder now this year. Good teams sniff out good deals and think ahead like this. TT seems to like trades if they only end up in his favor thus we see the lack of player trades from Ted.

I seriously doubt Chicago would make this deal with us. From what I've been hearing I don't know if I'd want this malcontent in our locker room. Something is surely amiss if a round 2 guy is on his 4th team in only 8 years.

Per @SalaryCap101, Broncos OT Russell Okung does a 1-yr, $5M deal with $3M in upside. 4-yr, $48M team option next March, $20.5M guaranteed. Perfect example of creative cap management and contract structure

Whoa! Wait a minute.
Wasn't someone talking on another blog here anout hoe TT cant sign FAs because nobody wants to come to Green Bay?
This article shreds that belief. Which proves alot of us are correct in saying TT is tight and does not go out get FA enough to win SBs.

Per @SalaryCap101, Broncos OT Russell Okung does a 1-yr, $5M deal with $3M in upside. 4-yr, $48M team option next March, $20.5M guaranteed. Perfect example of creative cap management and contract structure

Right now contains ZERO guaranteed money. He gets $1 million workout bonus and gets $4 million guaranteed if he plays at least 1 game for Denver so if he would just do the workout program and get cut in camp all Denver owes him would be $1 million dollars. Many are saying he was foolish and had he got an actually agent he probably could have got real guaranteed money in the deal.

Right now contains ZERO guaranteed money. He gets $1 million workout bonus and gets $4 million guaranteed if he plays at least 1 game for Denver so if he would just do the workout program and get cut in camp all Denver owes him would be $1 million dollars. Many are saying he was foolish and had he got an actually agent he probably could have got real guaranteed money in the deal.
Foolish or smart? In reality the workout bonus is esentially guarantee money. He gambled injury on the roster bonus in exchange for a signing bonus. Gamble yes but if he makes the roster which I'm pretty sure he will he sets himself up perfectly in 2017 if he has a above average year.

Whoa! Wait a minute.
Wasn't someone talking on another blog here anout hoe TT cant sign FAs because nobody wants to come to Green Bay?
This article shreds that belief. Which proves alot of us are correct in saying TT is tight and does not go out get FA enough to win SBs.
Shreads it no. Steven Jackson used GB for leverage. Peppers and especially Woodson had a limited market. As to being tight it depends on your definition of tight. I've said this before and I will say it again the problem is philosophy and much of it is contract structure. GB gives in the ballpark of 30% of value in guarantee. Fair number but many teams give more. GB has a philosophy of cash out not to push money forward to create potential dead money.

I don't think anyone mentioned that NO players wanted but yes if you are directing that comment at me I'll stand by the fact that Green Bay is not a a desired destination by many. And yes it's used by leverage by many. Our cap situation will never allow us to be active on the Tier 1 market. Tier 2 yes.

Foolish or smart? In reality the workout bonus is esentially guarantee money. He gambled injury on the roster bonus in exchange for a signing bonus. Gamble yes but if he makes the roster which I'm pretty sure he will he sets himself up perfectly in 2017 if he has a above average year.

Still big gamble what if he gets hurt prior to OTA's and such and can't workout or take part in TC. If Denver would then cut him he's out in the cold. Unlikely but possible it could happen.

Back