Future DC Thread

A name I've heard bantered around is Al Harris, who was a DB for the Packers at one time, and the Cowboys. He's been a defensive coach in the college and NFL ranks, but I'm not totally convinced he's ready to take on a role as large as DC.

I do know, as a player, he was always considered a guy who played smart. If that's translated over to his coaching, who knows?

I think he's an assistant at Florida International? From what I gather, they gave up a heck of a lot of points this year. Makes me a little skeptical. But, that's not necessarily on him.

Anyone else have knowledge about Harris?

A name I've heard bantered around is Al Harris, who was a DB for the Packers at one time, and the Cowboys. He's been a defensive coach in the college and NFL ranks, but I'm not totally convinced he's ready to take on a role as large as DC.

I do know, as a player, he was always considered a guy who played smart. If that's translated over to his coaching, who knows?

I think he's an assistant at Florida International? From what I gather, they gave up a heck of a lot of points this year. Makes me a little skeptical. But, that's not necessarily on him.

Love him as part of a staff, doesn’t seem ready for a DC role and situationally not sure GB is the right fit for his first go

He's the DB coach for Dallas, his name has been mentioned in passing but he would be very green

If you want a vet DC Leslie Frazier or Zimmerman would be guys to bring in

Just wanted to share, Pete Dougherty said the other day that it’s his understanding from speaking to someone who would know, that it’s built into LaFleur’s contract that he gets final say over the coaching staff. There’s always speculation here that Murphy is dictating this or that with coaches but again, not true. For better or worse, this is on ML, it’s his decision.

Just wanted to share, Pete Dougherty said the other day that it’s his understanding from speaking to someone who would know, that it’s built into LaFleur’s contract that he gets final say over the coaching staff. There’s always speculation here that Murphy is dictating this or that with coaches but again, not true. For better or worse, this is on ML, it’s his decision.
Good to know. Yet, in all organizations, approval at the top always comes into play. Nobody heading up an organization is going to allow a hire that they don't think meets the needs the way they should be met. The reason is that those hires, at that level, can have a bearing on whether or not you keep your job as well. Then there's the question that a lot of people have, that no matter what a contract says, Murphy is a micro-manager.

That's true then I still find it BS that ML did not can his ass after last year when it was clear Barry had zero idea what he's doing. He needs to stop being friends with his assistants and start being their boss.

"final say" does not mean "complete say" into his coaching staff.

With all due respect I would tread lightly on anything Pete says, he was the one who railed against Ty Dunne being wrong on AR etc.... Pete lost his inside sources after the last coaching change, been a toothless tiger since.

In all honesty, I'm not certain who builds the list of candidates for a position, but I'd be inclined to believe it comes from the scouting staff, through the GM, and is purused by - in the case of the Packers - Murphy, before it reaches LeFleur. Of course, I believe he's allowed to add someone to the candidate list, but I think the gauntlet of inteviews, which goes beyond Matt, will include everyone.

In the end, those above LeFleur will make "recommendations." If he goes outside that list, he'd better be able to justify it with solid reasoning. It would put his own job on the line if he did, and the guy failed.

Back