Future DC Thread

Safe to say that ML has taken the chickens!t way out and will let Barry goof up the rest of the year before quietly doing nothing at all, not affirmatively firing him, just letting the contract expire and acting like it never happened.
It's always been GB's MO not to fire coaches in season. Outside MM getting fired with 4 weeks left which was a 100% Muprhy call they just don't do it.

PERSONALLY, I want a scheme that fits our personnel--specifically our CBs. This is less true now that Rasul has left, but we have CB talent--even if its still a bit of an unknown, like Stokes and Valentine. But both of those guys are man guys. Jaire is a better man guy. You can still play a 2-high safety, anti-big-play scheme with more man underneath. And that's what we have the players to do.

What drives me nuts is that Gutey and Barry are clearly not on the same page. When this scheme was the thing with the Rams, they had a bunch of low-budget CBs who were scheme fits. They invested more in other positions than CB because if you just want guys to play a zone, read, react, and make the tackle, you don't need to spend mega-bucks and first round picks on them. Day Two picks and rookie contracts will do. And that's the issue I need to see smoothed out. If MLF wants this type of scheme, he needs to work with Gutey to get the defensive personnel to match it.
Winner)

Preston is throwing people under the bus. It is already starting. Barry is losing the defensive players and ML will lose the locker room soon if he does not make sure something is done.

Over the last decade, there have been 14 quarterbacks with perfect passer ratings (minimum 20 passes). The Packers’ five sacks of Mayfield was the most.

“When I get a rush and I turn around and a guy’s running free, it kind of feels like maybe that’s scheme or execution,” outside linebacker Preston Smith said. “I don’t know what’s going on in the back end. I just hear coverage or I hear a rush.

“A lot of times on a drive, I just feel like we just weren’t executing. It came down to execution. And maybe they were calling some plays, they were scheming us up on defense, maybe they kind of were getting a bead on what we were in and what we like to run and they were calling some plays that were really helpful to them.”

These issues aren’t new to Green Bay. They just so happened to rear their ugly head over and over again in a crucial game. Keisean Nixon said after the game, “they knew what we were in,” referencing that the Bucs’ offense knew what was coming. This shows a predictability and lack of creativity of the Packers defense, along with a lack of adjustments being made.

Last edited:
A name I heard on a podcast today - Dave Aranda. Probably pure speculation, but apparently his seat is getting a little warm and that may partly be because he's not thrilled with the new landscape of college football. Not sure exactly what type of defensive scheme he runs and if he would be a fit, but he's certainly well regarded as a defensive mind.

Point of Order! busted) busted)

In order to streamline and cut down on double posts, clutter, etc… all talk about what to do with Barry will be kept on the Season thread.

Please keep this thread for talk about potential replacements at DC only… (that means me too)
Get the Wolverines DC

A name I heard on a podcast today - Dave Aranda. Probably pure speculation, but apparently his seat is getting a little warm and that may partly be because he's not thrilled with the new landscape of college football. Not sure exactly what type of defensive scheme he runs and if he would be a fit, but he's certainly well regarded as a defensive mind.
Aranda though might want to get fired. He asks out of contract he likely won't get full amount owed. He gets fired Baylor will owe him rest of contract

He was already retained last week and committed to Baylor for next year...fired guys and replaced them etc. I would say he's a scratch

Point of Order! busted) busted)

In order to streamline and cut down on double posts, clutter, etc… all talk about what to do with Barry will be kept on the Season thread.

Please keep this thread for talk about potential replacements at DC only… (that means me too)

Sorry about that, gentleman. thread jacked

I think I started it. hide)

He was already retained last week and committed to Baylor for next year...fired guys and replaced them etc. I would say he's a scratch

Thanks for clarifying. Hadn't read up on his situation. Was just an interesting name from a podcast that hadn't come up before.

Back