Future DC Thread

Rumors are that Mike McDonald is all but done to Seattle. That means those two Baltimore guys may either go with him or get promoted internally. Hurts GB there, and there may be nothing GB can do about it (except move fast and offer a lot of money).
I can see Weaver getting promoted to DC with the Ravens maybe that's why GB did not ask to interview him as they don't want to waste their time. But if GB offers DC job to Dennard or Orr I can't see them pass it up to stay a postion coach.

Rumors are that Mike McDonald is all but done to Seattle. That means those two Baltimore guys may either go with him or get promoted internally. Hurts GB there, and there may be nothing GB can do about it (except move fast and offer a lot of money).
Mike McDonald was great with the Doobie Brothers…

That’s why you move on your guy quick. As other openings come up you risk losing your guy to another opportunity.

So, as of this point - 10 days into the search - do we have any inkling on the direction they're going?

He will be smarter then Joe Barry that is only thing we are sure of. :)
So you're saying Gilligan would be a much better choice? He's not too bright, or he would have been hitting big time on Ginger. She was short on options. :)

So you're saying Gilligan would be a much better choice? He's not too bright, or he would have been hitting big time on Ginger. She was short on options. :)
Mary Ann was the hot one IMO.

Answere from an old knuckle-dragging guy who spent 3 decades on defense...well a bit of an answer:

On tackling, that's mostly a CBA thing in the NFL, The NFLPA has successfully removed most of the tackling drills and padded practices from the table. Off-season workouts are 98% shorts and helmets. Who you "hire" has very little bearing on this because they are coming in half &$$ ed from college in terms of tackling and there is no way for the coaching staff to hone those skills anymore. I hate it too but that's what we got.

On the 46 and some of the zone stuff, again the era we live in. We sat on here for 5-plus years talking about the spread O and how it would change things in terms of the scheme, and so that kind of defense is easily defeated by the Chiefs of the world. Thus you see teams having to defend the way they do. Add in if I want to defend man press all the time I literally need 3-4 man press corners on the field and 2 in reserve.... so now you're getting into salary cap and personal issues. It's a very complicated thing really.

That's where your adapt during the year goes out the window, you're limited by cap and roster rules on what you can and can't do at the NFL level.

I hear you loud and clear, but it's just not that simple anymore.
Not trying to argue with you.

Regarding tackling: Many teams tackle much better than we do. I understand the CBA thing. To be clear, I don't even want a ton of decleaters. I want a ton of putting shoulders into the offender, wrapping arms around the offender, driving through the offender, and putting the offender on the ground. We have sucked at tackling. We can get and should be a TON better.

The 46 was special and comprised of special smart players and coaches working together. Even the 46 got torn apart one Monday Evening. It's not the end all. However, our recent defenses have been pretty static with gaping holes and soft spots. I don't have the answer, but it has to be better than what we've done. And, I'm not really a fan of the press corners - I'm more inclined to play some type of zone where pass defense is looking at the quarterback. It just seems that we draft press pass defenders who have issues with playing zone type schemes which doesn't seem very smart to me. If I were drafting, I would know what the coaches were trying to accomplish and draft to help them. On defense, we seem off in that regard.

Even though quality goes down, you still have to adapt your defense to what the available players can do. Again, in the past we haven't seem to have done that.

Believe me, I know it's not that simple. I wish we were discussing in person over a beer. But, we should be so much better at the little things than we are.

Regarding tackling: Many teams tackle much better than we do. I understand the CBA thing. To be clear, I don't even want a ton of decleaters. I want a ton of putting shoulders into the offender, wrapping arms around the offender, driving through the offender, and putting the offender on the ground. We have sucked at tackling. We can get and should be a TON better.
i agree. every time someone complains that our defense doesn't know how to tackle, someone will invariably blame it on the cba. i think this is a reasonable opinion of why the nfl in general has gotten worse at tackling. but i see several other teams that tackle much better than we do. either their gms are a lot better at drafting guys that already have those skills (which is a strong possibility), or they have coaches that are much better at teaching those skills (also a strong possibility). my hunch is that it is a combination of both.

Back