Future DC Thread

So interesting connection with Ravens LB Coach Zach Orr. His brother was Chris Orr former WI Badger LB.

Questions of a knuckle draggers mind:
  • Apparently LaFleur likes the Fangio defense. Well Fangio, the inventor of the Fangio defense, became available, and I don't remember any effort to get Fangio. To me it's confusing. I like Chocolate Chip Cookies. If you leave them out, I'm eating them.
  • I always have thought that a coach should design his strategies to implement the skill sets of his available players. Therefore, we need a defensive coordinator who can design a defense to the best capabilities of his players. That will change during the year, and a good coach will adapt. After we squandered relatively injury free seasons, we've had lots of injuries. Which means the available defensive players change along with their skill set - AND, the defense that best works with the available players skill set should probably be changing.
  • Drafting players for the intended strategy. If we're not, we're dumbasses. We seem to have an issue drafting press corners for a defense or at least defensive coordinator that wants to play more zone. Holy Cow.
  • The only defense that wasn't reactionary was Buddy Ryan's 46. Yes, he had the personnel. But, the defense was designed to attack regardless of what the offense was doing, disrupt, and get to the quarterback before he could throw the ball. It takes a lot of BRAINS to run that. It also takes commitment and effort.
  • Whoever, we get, please have him have knowledge of how to teach tackling and how to teach players to buy into tackling.

Questions of a knuckle draggers mind:
  • Apparently LaFleur likes the Fangio defense. Well Fangio, the inventor of the Fangio defense, became available, and I don't remember any effort to get Fangio. To me it's confusing. I like Chocolate Chip Cookies. If you leave them out, I'm eating them.
  • I always have thought that a coach should design his strategies to implement the skill sets of his available players. Therefore, we need a defensive coordinator who can design a defense to the best capabilities of his players. That will change during the year, and a good coach will adapt. After we squandered relatively injury free seasons, we've had lots of injuries. Which means the available defensive players change along with their skill set - AND, the defense that best works with the available players skill set should probably be changing.
  • Drafting players for the intended strategy. If we're not, we're dumbasses. We seem to have an issue drafting press corners for a defense or at least defensive coordinator that wants to play more zone. Holy Cow.
  • The only defense that wasn't reactionary was Buddy Ryan's 46. Yes, he had the personnel. But, the defense was designed to attack regardless of what the offense was doing, disrupt, and get to the quarterback before he could throw the ball. It takes a lot of BRAINS to run that. It also takes commitment and effort.
  • Whoever, we get, please have him have knowledge of how to teach tackling and how to teach players to buy into tackling.
Answere from an old knuckle-dragging guy who spent 3 decades on defense...well a bit of an answer:

On tackling, that's mostly a CBA thing in the NFL, The NFLPA has successfully removed most of the tackling drills and padded practices from the table. Off-season workouts are 98% shorts and helmets. Who you "hire" has very little bearing on this because they are coming in half &$$ ed from college in terms of tackling and there is no way for the coaching staff to hone those skills anymore. I hate it too but that's what we got.

On the 46 and some of the zone stuff, again the era we live in. We sat on here for 5-plus years talking about the spread O and how it would change things in terms of the scheme, and so that kind of defense is easily defeated by the Chiefs of the world. Thus you see teams having to defend the way they do. Add in if I want to defend man press all the time I literally need 3-4 man press corners on the field and 2 in reserve.... so now you're getting into salary cap and personal issues. It's a very complicated thing really.

That's where your adapt during the year goes out the window, you're limited by cap and roster rules on what you can and can't do at the NFL level.

I hear you loud and clear, but it's just not that simple anymore.

So does GB try to get DC hired by the weekend? I know NFL frowns on NFL teams making hires the week of the Super Bowl as they don't want anything but talk of the game the week of the Super Bowl.

You make the hire when you find your guy. Regardless of when that is.
At this point they have the group of guys that they’re going to have. Frankly would be odd if they don’t have a decision soon. And i’m sure there have been non publicized interviews too but the pool is set, they just haven’t move on their guy.

Rumors are that Mike McDonald is all but done to Seattle. That means those two Baltimore guys may either go with him or get promoted internally. Hurts GB there, and there may be nothing GB can do about it (except move fast and offer a lot of money).

Back