David Bakhtiari signs 4 year deal with Packers

There was talk on radio that if spriggs could handle RT right now you kick Bulaga to LG. Guess this will all depend if Spriggs can play right now and how Taylor keeps playing if the Packers were to cut Bulaga after this year they would save 3 million

Glad they got one guy done. I'm surprised at the number. I was thinking more in the $8-9mil range, but as others have said, while it's high now, it won't be high by the end of the contract.

I'll be interesting to see how this all shakes out in the coming months. Tretter would seem to be next, but I could see him and his agent disagreeing on where he ranks. Is he a starter? Is he a center, a guard or a tackle? That could seriously complicate the negotiations to the point where they might decide to go forward with Linsley at OC and Taylor at LG and see if they can lock down Lang for 2-3 more years.

As to Spriggs, you have to figure they now need to prep him to play RT if they haven't already done so. Then they can move Bulaga inside if Lang and Tretter both walk. Who knows, maybe if Bulaga has some injury issues again, maybe they cut him in the offseason and use his money to pay Tretter and Lang, with Spriggs taking over RT. They have options.

With Tretter it's his first year starting so I can see the Packers offering on the low send starter for him 3-4 million a year. Tretter is probably saying I am young and can play multiple spots I want 6-7 million a year.

It's about right for market. Also sign of the times. As with QB's just aren't as many dominant LT's anymore. So gotta pay the decent guys top money as long as they are consistent.

Now he gets to play out for a few years until the Pack gets someone younger and he's unceremoniously dumped based on some ridiculous assumption he's gonna tear up the locker room if they tell him he won't be resigned hide)hide)angelic((

He's solid, consistent, and Arod trusts him. That's about all you can hope for these days. Is he the best out there? No. Is he a top 5 OL? Not really. But he's close enough and that's what matters. It's not a veterans league anymore. You get one shot at a big contract these days and Bahk took the sure thing instead of gambling via FA or risking injury this year... Can't blame him at all and can't blame TT for offering that kind of $$.

You get one shot at a big contract these days and Bahk took the sure thing instead of gambling via FA or risking injury this year... Can't blame him at all and can't blame TT for offering that kind of $$.

You don't think he'll be in line for another big contract at 28?

Taking the sure thing and not risking injury sounds a lot like taking out insurance. When one does that, one gives up something.

Never do blame the player - somebody offers me something ridiculously good, I take it. As for not blaming TT, well...

Since there are so many ways to look at contracts, here is Sportrac's LT page. On contract average, he's tied for 4th, about 4-5 million per year over the median.

Taking the sure thing and not risking injury sounds a lot like taking out insurance. When one does that, one gives up something.

Never do blame the player - somebody offers me something ridiculously good, I take it. As for not blaming TT, well...

Since there are so many ways to look at contracts, here is Sportrac's LT page. On contract average, he's tied for 4th, about 4-5 million per year over the median.

Nope. Not IMHO at least. In 4 years the Pack will have another stallion in the corral they'll want to sign over an older guy.

Sorry, I didn't mean a big contract necessarily from the Packers. I figure if he's a quality LT for the next 4 years, somebody will pay him handsomely as a 28 year old free agent then.

Sorry, I didn't mean a big contract necessarily from the Packers. I figure if he's a quality LT for the next 4 years, somebody will pay him handsomely as a 28 year old free agent then.

Yes, I agree with that.. At 28 he will probably find somebody willing to pay him.

Average value and years are somewhat irrelevant it's really about guarantee money.

Bak got market value

Back