AR Prediction Thread

So interesting did not know 2024 Rodgers contract

The contract's second option is in 2024. Rodgers has a $49.25 million 2024 base salary that was guaranteed for injury at signing. This $49.25 million becomes fully guaranteed on the fifth day of 2024 waiver period (five days after Super Bowl LVIII) on next Feb. 16. A $47 million payment is required to exercise an option for Rodgers' 2026 contract year worth $15.05 million to drop his 2024 base salary to a fully guaranteed $2.25 million. The window to exercise this option is the first day of the 2024 league year until a day before Green Bay's first 2024 regular season game.

So unless Rodgers would retire right after the season GB would face a Carr situation were they would have to release him before that $49 million becomes fully guaranteed.

Will be interesting if GB picks up Love's 5th year because facing Rodgers holding cards to return in 2024. Only way I take Rodgers back is redo his contract and his contract voids after this season. Take the cap hit in 2024 and move onto Love.

According to Vic Tafur of The Athletic, the Raiders have agreed “they won’t be in on the Aaron Rodgers sweepstakes”.

Tafur added that Las Vegas has “too many holes on their roster to trade high picks” for Rodgers.

The Jets seem to be going after Carr so it seems it's GB or nothing for Rodgers and we know he won't retire with what he's due. So Rodgers will be back for 2023. Now we will go threw the same crap next year with will Rodgers retire or return to get $60 million.
1. Mark Davis decides for the raiders, not their coach or GM

2. Media are saying the opposite about the Jets, they like Carr but Rodgers is their first choice. It’s out in the open

1. Mark Davis decides for the raiders, not their coach or GM

2. Media are saying the opposite about the Jets, they like Carr but Rodgers is their first choice. It’s out in the open

I am not an expert on contracts but if I were the Packers I would tell AR if you want to come back we need a new contract and make it for this year and next with void years on the remaining. Pay him lower cap numbers in the first two. If he does not want to do that then he is traded or he retires.

They cannot possibly keep his current contract. Or are they stuck with what they have right now?

I am not an expert on contracts but if I were the Packers I would tell AR if you want to come back we need a new contract and make it for this year and next with void years on the remaining. Pay him lower cap numbers in the first two. If he does not want to do that then he is traded or he retires.

They cannot possibly keep his current contract. Or are they stuck with what they have right now?
Thing is what incentive is there for Rodgers to redo his deal? $59 million guaranteed next year $49 million next year. He could tell GB to go pound sand on a new contract.

According to Vic Tafur of The Athletic, the Raiders have agreed “they won’t be in on the Aaron Rodgers sweepstakes”.

Tafur added that Las Vegas has “too many holes on their roster to trade high picks” for Rodgers.

The Jets seem to be going after Carr so it seems it's GB or nothing for Rodgers and we know he won't retire with what he's due. So Rodgers will be back for 2023. Now we will go threw the same crap next year with will Rodgers retire or return to get $60 million.
His incentive would be to surround himself with some players, AR ego is large, being part of a rebuild isn't something he wants.

I’m not sure about specifics but I’m not sure how much they can gain from reworking Arods deal. GB needs to stay away from void years.
This is correct. The issue is not just the massive 2023 option bonus, it’s the compounding of prior cap hits. If he retires or gets traded, GB doesn’t pay that $58m cash out the door but the cap hits from his prior deals and restructures accelerate to 2023, hence the $40+m cap hit. His salary is already only slightly more than vet minimum, he could agree to forego the option bonuses entirely and his cap hit in 2023 would still be very large.

As for re-working the deal for less money, color me dubious. They couldn’t even sit this guy down and tell him to run the offense, they couldn’t sit him down when he was playing hurt, they’re not going to sit him down and force a pay cut on him.

This is correct. The issue is not just the massive 2023 option bonus, it’s the compounding of prior cap hits. If he retires or gets traded, GB doesn’t pay that $58m cash out the door but the cap hits from his prior deals and restructures accelerate to 2023, hence the $40+m cap hit. His salary is already only slightly more than vet minimum, he could agree to forego the option bonuses entirely and his cap hit in 2023 would still be very large.

As for re-working the deal for less money, color me dubious. They couldn’t even sit this guy down and tell him to run the offense, they couldn’t sit him down when he was playing hurt, they’re not going to sit him down and force a pay cut on him.
Maybe they get lucky he smokes his mushrooms in off-season falls of his flying carpet he's on hurts his knee and Packers place him on the Non-Football injury list and don't have to pay him. LOL

Back