Aaron Rodgers new contract

Garafolo reported Rodgers would like some sort of out clause in an extension that would allow the QB to control his ability to renegotiate a new deal.
One problem in Rodgers earning such an opt-out: Why would the Packers give up leverage?
Currently, Rodgers has two years remaining on his deal. The Packers then hold the ability to franchise tag the quarterback the next two seasons. Green Bay could do nothing and have Rodgers under center for the next four seasons. When you're holding a full house, there are very few hands to which you'd fold.

GB foolish if they give in. 4 years is really pushing it with all his injuries over the years and he knows it. Agree with others hold pat and let him flinch first.

New revelation. Looks like it was all conjecture. Crisis averted. Gnashing of teeth no more.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...rts-about-contract-talks-are-just-conjecture/
And I have some great ocean front property in Arizona for you.... of course he backed out of it Bud. What's he going to say " Yes I want an opt out in my contract and this why " ??? I am not buying not one piece of his smoke. They kindley only quoted a piece of the whole story.... Mr Arrogant also said " I’ve got two years left on my deal so I don’t have a drop-dead date. I expect to play at an MVP-caliber level this year, like I do every year. I’m not worried about it.” Mmm hmmm yup right. Damage control 101

Ugh, I never know what to think when this stuff comes out. A couple of years ago it was Russell Wilson looking for a fully guaranteed deal, and he was taking heat for it too.

Is this all demands from the player? Is this the agent using a high profile client to push an agenda to help himself out and make a name for himself? Is the NFLPA involved and using the player to push the contract envelope? Without knowing where this stuff is coming from and who's talking, I try to shut it all out. The team will need to make a business decision and the player will need to decide what demands are important and whether to take a stand leading to a trade.

Ugh, I never know what to think when this stuff comes out. A couple of years ago it was Russell Wilson looking for a fully guaranteed deal, and he was taking heat for it too.

Is this all demands from the player? Is this the agent using a high profile client to push an agenda to help himself out and make a name for himself? Is the NFLPA involved and using the player to push the contract envelope? Without knowing where this stuff is coming from and who's talking, I try to shut it all out. The team will need to make a business decision and the player will need to decide what demands are important and whether to take a stand leading to a trade.

Yes players in the NFL are upset they don't have fully guaranteed deals like MLB and NBA have. Rumors are that players would want the union to push for this to happen in the next CBA. Though precident has been set with Cousins getting a fully guaranteed deal so you will now see other players work off that saying well he got 3 years 86 million fully guaranteed I want 4 years 120 million fully guaranteed.

Of the three major sports, I'm surprised it wasn't the NFL that fought hardest to get guaranteed salaries. The risk of injury, and the life long pain from past injuries is so much higher that you would have thought these things, along with a long term health care plan that worked for them would be of most importance.

I don't get how some of these guys see their futures. It's as if they think the money coming in is an endless well.

I'm reminded of how many big-time athletes need to sell their huge mansions when they retire because there's not enough coming in to support that lavish lifestyle. To me, living within means, and continuing in that direction makes more sense.

Yes players in the NFL are upset they don't have fully guaranteed deals like MLB and NBA have. Rumors are that players would want the union to push for this to happen in the next CBA. Though precident has been set with Cousins getting a fully guaranteed deal so you will now see other players work off that saying well he got 3 years 86 million fully guaranteed I want 4 years 120 million fully guaranteed.

Or Cousins will be a disappointment and teams will say, remember when the Vikings guaranteed Kirk Cousins all that money? Let's not make that mistake again.

Like so many things, unfortunately we just have to wait and see how it plays out.

Probably could have a separate thread on the topic but why won't the NFL owners go to guaranteed contracts?

Probably could have a separate thread on the topic but why won't the NFL owners go to guaranteed contracts?

$$$$ why should owners give more money then they need too. Right now player sucks or not worth keeping at salary they can save some cash. Give out guaranteed contracts means player sucks or not worth the cash you will either need to keep him or eat the cap hit or do what NBA and MLB does and trade bad contract for bad contract.

$$$$ why should owners give more money then they need too. Right now player sucks or not worth keeping at salary they can save some cash. Give out guaranteed contracts means player sucks or not worth the cash you will either need to keep him or eat the cap hit or do what NBA and MLB does and trade bad contract for bad contract.

I figured it was money but why did MLB and the NBA go to guaranteed contracts? Is it working for them? If so, why?

Also, I would figure shelf life has to have something to do with it. I'm not sure how long the average MLB or NBA player last but, physically, I'd have to think the NFL player shelf life is shorter. If it is shorter.

Back