2016 Pre Camp Prediction/Thoughts Thread

With the change in the offensive system Mark posted I will be watching too see what they are doing by formation in pre season etc. I am really interested in the front 7 of the defense and if that group improves or stays the same this yr.

Most intriguing is the LB's for sure IMO. Is Matthews going to actually be able to resume playing OLB like Mike says? Are Martinez and Fack going to be able to step in right away and contribute? A lot of questions that need to be answered.

Also I'll be watching Clark very very closely. We had the chance to draft several players who appeared to be more impact type players. All I can say is Clark better be at least a solid DT or Ted will really feel the heat.

Most intriguing is the LB's for sure IMO. Is Matthews going to actually be able to resume playing OLB like Mike says? Are Martinez and Fack going to be able to step in right away and contribute? A lot of questions that need to be answered.

Also I'll be watching Clark very very closely. We had the chance to draft several players who appeared to be more impact type players. All I can say is Clark better be at least a solid DT or Ted will really feel the heat.
ILB is wiiiiide open. At a glance, both Ryan and Barrington are fits for the strong side role. Not too worried there.

But who will man the weakside spot? Can Ryan or Barrington learn to cover? Can Martinez play there as a 4th round rookie, due to his "best PFF coverage grade in college" -acumen? Or will CMIII rotate there, again? Or will a suprise guy emerge (Bradford's last chance...)?

And will it be Joe Thomas, Martinez or who in dime?

yeah, i still think that was an odd choice given all the options that were available.

yeah, i still think that was an odd choice given all the options that were available.

I wouldn't call it odd necessarily, just more like safe/predictable. We lost Raji to retirement and Guion isn't a dependable guy(or a likable guy for that matter, don't care what uniform he wears). The pick screamed safe need pick, which draft history has shown us, doesn't always work out. I just hope it doesn't come back to bite us in the butt. We know from the past few years that Ted's conservative nature has cost us at times. Hopefully this doesn't turn out to be another one of those times.

Interesting >

KEY >

[bcolor=#ffff00]“There’s some changes this year, so I’ve had to put in some extra time in the offseason, which is a little rare, to make sure I’m good on the way we’re calling personnel now and some of the plays we’ve changed.”[/bcolor]
[bcolor=#ffff00]Added wide receiver Randall Cobb: “It definitely is important to keep things fresh. Not only do we have little new things, but we have little new ways of calling things in the playbook. So we’re kind of relearning the playbook in a different sense this year.”[/bcolor]

This both interests and scares me at the same time.... The young WR had enough trouble grasping the old offense. Now it seems they have to learn something new. Could be great, could backfire....

So the off season is here and camp has started. From now on what's happened in the past is largely irrelevant except in relation to growth. That's what I'm interested in. Who made a jump? Who is merely treading water from last year? Who wants it and who seems to be skating by?

This both interests and scares me at the same time.... The young WR had enough trouble grasping the old offense. Now it seems they have to learn something new. Could be great, could backfire....

So the off season is here and camp has started. From now on what's happened in the past is largely irrelevant except in relation to growth. That's what I'm interested in. Who made a jump? Who is merely treading water from last year? Who wants it and who seems to be skating by?

I think they had no choice but to revamp the offensive verbiage and formations. Let's face it that 3 wide look and or their short yardage formations were predictable. Maybe if Aaron has to work at a little in camp it may stir the juices.

Back