2016 Pre Camp Prediction/Thoughts Thread

Janis participated in 130 total plays including 14 kick returns. ...

14 kick returns. oh and how many kick coverage and punt coverage? how many plays from scrimmage (downs 1 through 3) did he play? how many of those were pass plays? how many of those was he targeted? i could spend an hour and go back through all the gamebooks, but that won't really give us all the answers. say what you will. if you actually look at the entire season, he was given very very very few opportunities to touch the ball on an offensive play. and when the packers had no other conceivable recourse but to use him as a receiver, he caught 7 passes for 145 yards and two touchdowns - in a playoff game.

and you are really being disingenuous if you are trying to convince people that abby's performance was about the same. abby was targeted 12 times and caught only four passes for 55 yards. you can't convince me that is anything close to catching 7 passes for 145 yards. when you say "if you take away" janis' two longest plays, it was pretty mediocre, that's like saying "if you take away adrian peterson's two longest runs, he only averaged 3 yards per rush". it doesn't make any logical sense to ignore a player's best plays. you consider the totality of their performance. i mean if you're going to be fair, then you have to take away abby's two best plays also. so you take away abby's 18-yard catch and his 17-yard catch, he only had two catches for 20 yards. you can't pick and choose.

14 kick returns. oh and how many kick coverage and punt coverage? how many plays from scrimmage (downs 1 through 3) did he play? how many of those were pass plays? how many of those was he targeted? i could spend an hour and go back through all the gamebooks, but that won't really give us all the answers. say what you will. if you actually look at the entire season, he was given very very very few opportunities to touch the ball on an offensive play. and when the packers had no other conceivable recourse but to use him as a receiver, he caught 7 passes for 145 yards and two touchdowns - in a playoff game.

and you are really being disingenuous if you are trying to convince people that abby's performance was about the same. abby was targeted 12 times and caught only four passes for 55 yards. you can't convince me that is anything close to catching 7 passes for 145 yards. when you say "if you take away" janis' two longest plays, it was pretty mediocre, that's like saying "if you take away adrian peterson's two longest runs, he only averaged 3 yards per rush". it doesn't make any logical sense to ignore a player's best plays. you consider the totality of their performance. i mean if you're going to be fair, then you have to take away abby's two best plays also. so you take away abby's 18-yard catch and his 17-yard catch, he only had two catches for 20 yards. you can't pick and choose.
If you assume punt gunner snaps are included that's 49 snaps. 2 receptions. All in one game.

Janis no better to Abby for 58 minutes. Then Janis caught 2 prayers. Not due to precise route running. And no its not like PetersonHe has a much larger body of work to fall back on. Did Janis get opportunities. No. He did not earn them. Bad routes. Caught with his hands. The guy is raw coming from D2. The kid has speed. But t the hype is a a bit overboard

I'm not going to hijack this thread anymore. Never going to change anyone's mind on the Janis bandwagon. If he proves it over 16 games I'll eat crow. Till then. Show me

Jeff Janis is a D 2 WR who has big upside in a limited package. He will have to build more trust with Aaron on routes to break completely out. If Jordy stays healthy I doubt he breaks the 4 spot otherwise maybe.

I agree. Janis is a fan favorite but fact is outside of one playoff game he has done nothing to secure a roster spot. So Janis and Abbrederis are going to have to come in to prove they deserve a roster spot. Also some of the DB's have spoke highly of Ed Williams also as a WR.

Janis' ST play will secure him a roster spot not unlike Jarrett Bush did.

Janis' ST play will secure him a roster spot not unlike Jarrett Bush did.

i think you could very well be correct. which gets me back to my original point. it would be very difficult to cut the receivers down to five (assuming that everyone is healthy). i would think that six is almost a certainty, and i would not be shocked if they found a way to keep seven.

Interesting >
Aaron Rodgers has long believed in the importance of players' spending extra time in their playbooks, especially guys who are new to the Green Bay Packers’ offensive system.
This offseason, the Packers quarterback is having to practice what he preaches, thanks to changes head coach Mike McCarthy has made.

“You really have to fit a lot of stuff into a short amount of time [during the offseason], so it puts extra pressure on the coaches to be able to go through that plan with the young guys and then get them up to speed. It puts a strong onus on them to spend time away from the facility studying their playbook -- myself too,” Rodgers said during a break in the team’s organized team activity practices.

“There’s some changes this year, so I’ve had to put in some extra time in the offseason, which is a little rare, to make sure I’m good on the way we’re calling personnel now and some of the plays we’ve changed.”
Added wide receiver Randall Cobb: “It definitely is important to keep things fresh. Not only do we have little new things, but we have little new ways of calling things in the playbook. So we’re kind of relearning the playbook in a different sense this year.”

Neither Rodgers nor McCarthy wanted to divulge too many specifics about the changes, and McCarthy called them “big picture” changes.
But after more than a decade in McCarthy’s offense, the changes are obviously significant to require Rodgers to devote extra study time to them. It sounds as if McCarthy’s changes are intended to simplify the language of play calls.
“As far as Aaron, I don’t want to change anything, unless it feels really important. You don’t want to change just to change, especially if it’s going to affect your quarterback, especially Aaron Rodgers,” McCarthy said. “So the changes are for a reason. He clearly understands it. He clearly sees the big picture benefits of it. So, it’s something that everybody’s had to adjust to.”
That’s somewhat uncharted territory for Rodgers, who spent his rookie year in 2005 in Mike Sherman’s offense and has been in McCarthy’s system ever since, including eight seasons as the Packers’ starter. Although McCarthy’s scheme has evolved over the years, and he has tailored aspects of the offense to Rodgers’ skill set after two years with Brett Favre at the controls, this is a bigger change than in past years.
“The beauty of being in one system for your whole career is obviously stability. And you’re winning. The greatest quarterbacks out there have all played in the [same] system for a long time,” said quarterbacks coach Alex Van Pelt, who spent nine years with the Buffalo Bills, under three head coaches and five offensive coordinators. “That’s also a detriment when you do make changes.
“For a guy that’s been three years here, four years there and two years here, it’s easier to shift those gears and just forget and relearn. Whereas, you’ve got a lot of history in certain things that are called, and for a player who’s been in the system the whole time, it’s difficult.”
At the same time, Van Pelt said, the changes are a good change for Rodgers.
“It does challenge him. It makes him dive back into the playbook and learn some of the new verbiage that we’re using," he said. “[The new language] cleans it up, makes it easier for the younger guys that are coming in, so it’s a give-and-take. But he definitely had to throw himself into the book a little more this year.”

KEY >

[bcolor=#ffff00]“There’s some changes this year, so I’ve had to put in some extra time in the offseason, which is a little rare, to make sure I’m good on the way we’re calling personnel now and some of the plays we’ve changed.”
Added wide receiver Randall Cobb: “It definitely is important to keep things fresh. Not only do we have little new things, but we have little new ways of calling things in the playbook. So we’re kind of relearning the playbook in a different sense this year.”
[/bcolor]

ILB should be the most interesting position. Ryan is likely to improve on his rookie year. Martinez brings a little hype with him and might get the nod ahead of Barrington. After that, who knows. McCray seems highly likely to make the 53 but I don't know if his role is inside or outside since I think he played some of each for Denver. The numbers suggest inside since they already have a lot of bodies outside. Thomas did OK as the dime guy but isn't a starting quality guy and might be a numbers casualty. Brown and Pikula are a couple of rookies who might get a shot to make the 53 and if not one likely makes the PS. I suspect this is the end of the line for Bradford. If this group falters, we may well see CM3 taking snaps in the middle again. To me this is the most interesting position battle because both starting spots are really up for grabs between Ryan, Barrington, Martinez and McCray.

I will also be keeping a watch on ILB. It would be great to see some accurate aggressive out of that group. I'm curious to see how quickly Martinez can pick up his responsibilities and how well he can execute. I am hoping that Barrington is back to health and can improve that position.

I have some disagreement that Matthews, being in his old position will get more sacks. All I remember in the time right before he switched was how many times he tried his spin move and it didn't work. The OL knew where he was all the time and pretty much kept him in check except for an occasional sack. IMO his sacks increased when they were moving him around and the offense didn't know where he was going to be next. But I think I'm in the minority in that POV.

I will be watching the offense for Cook to see if he can handle Aaron's passes. Who will step up on the OL?...backups. Janis, of course. Can he finally just start reacting instead of being too much in his head. And lastly Lacy to see if his overall health and stamina has improved. Can he be RB we hope he will be.

I have some disagreement that Matthews, being in his old position will get more sacks. All I remember in the time right before he switched was how many times he tried his spin move and it didn't work. The OL knew where he was all the time and pretty much kept him in check except for an occasional sack. IMO his sacks increased when they were moving him around and the offense didn't know where he was going to be next. But I think I'm in the minority in that POV.

you might be in the minority, but you're not alone. imho, matthews was always most effective when he was moved around, and least effective when the packers tried to keep him in one spot. and frankly that makes perfect sense. it's a lot easier for opposing offenses to design plays that neutralize a great player if they always know where he will be coming from.

If Perry can stay on the field and rush the passer along with Peppers opposing offenses can't just worry about Clay. ch(

Back