With Their 3RD Pick GB Selects Kyler Fackrell LB Utah State

Packers website put up the prospect primersfor their first three picks. The primer for our OLB said he rushed the passer and dropped into coverage 50% of the time in 2015 which was why his sack totals were lower. There you have it

A bit of a head scratcher for sure.. Special teams type of guy

I probably wouldn't go that far.. From what i've read as an OLB he should be a solid starter eventually. Were there other needs that could have been met with better players? Sure.. but it sounds like he's a flexible enough player..

Now cue endless speculation about if this pick means CMIII is staying inside..

Well endless until the 4th or 5th round today when GB picks up another ILB or 2...

But if Gb doesn't draft an ILB this weekend? Curious.

Last edited:
This guy right now will be mainly a ST this year who will get chance to develop in system and get to compete for starting role in 2017.

I was out of town for the weekend, but Kyler is a good football player. OLB, but could be nickel or dime LBer also. A versatile defender with a nose for the football. Was injured his junior year and might not of been full speed last year. Has some correctable issues like breaking down in the open field, but he is coachable and athletic. This kid is a really good football player!

This guy right now will be mainly a ST this year who will get chance to develop in system and get to compete for starting role in 2017.
I looked at all of Fackrell's available cutups, and though I'm no super scout, he sure didn't seem ready to play OLB as a rookie. Not enough strength to bull rush, but has the quicks and bend to get around the edge. If he gains that strength, could well become a good one for 2017, when we'll likely really need him.

We have Perry and Elliott as OLB depth as it is, so we can afford to have Fackrell play largely STs as a rookie.

Utah St. played him very versatile in 2015, often lined up wide in coverage. He wasn't very nimble or fast, but has size and range to cover zones. I really don't see him inside, or as dime LB. Just too tall for ILB, and not quick enough for pure coverage LB.

He's actually 24 years old (Bday in November), so a bit older guy. This year will Fackrell's second coming off an ACL, so maybe didn't get to show it all last season, and hopefully he's back to 100% now.

The biggest mystery is how many jokes can be made outta his name. When he scores a Fack Sack, should the crowd yell GO FACK GO, or FAAAAAAAACK!? :D

Back