With The 30th Pick GB Selects Damarious Randall S/CB Arizona State

I don't understand the pick, but I'll hope for the best. I was hoping for Anthony or maybe Kendricks. The cupboard is pretty bare at ILB, thanks to Ted's modus operandi. Of course thanks to the same methods, so is DB. Good grief. bh(

Hoping for some big time help for the defense with maybe a sprinkling of offensive help as well. Can't believe Randy Gregory slipped this far. Must be bigger red flags than a pot violation. But WOW! If he' s there in the 2nd, go for it Ted! Can't put too much pressure on opposing QB's.

So what makes this kid a better pick over Jalen Collins? Just curious to what peoples thoughts are on that...
I don't think he was better but Randall does not have off the field trouble that is known. Has Ted ever drafted a kid that was known to have off the field problems?

I don't think he was better but Randall does not have off the field trouble that is known. Has Ted ever drafted a kid that was known to have off the field problems?

Think Finley was the highest in the 3rd round, and even he had "maturity issues" - no rap sheet. TT tends towards guys that are pretty clean in res 1 and 2.

Not sure if Collins is better, but I think the off-the-field stuff just made him less attractive. (Didn't BJ Raji have a failed drug test?)

After sleeping on it and then thinking about it some more today, I'm still not completely comfortable with the pick, BUT, I got to thinking that many folks here, including myself to some degree, were OK with Rowe in Rd 1. Other than the 2 inch difference in height, they are pretty identical in terms of speed, explosiveness, etc. I believe Rowe played mostly safety in college as did Randle. Had we taken Rowe, we'd have really been dealing with a similar conversion but been happier.

At this point I'll accept that he's fast enough and athletic enough to play the position. They were able to coach up Shields in a pretty short time and he was even more raw, as I believe he transitioned from offense to defense as a senior. Randle is ahead of him from that perspective so I'm thinking they'll just have to do another "coach-up" job and get this guy ready to play nickel by Sept.

I think Rowe tested better athletically but didn't play as athletically as Randall did. But I do see your point. The Seahawks have made it trendy to have taller corners but 5'11 196 is bigger than Shields, Hayward and Tramon. Hyde is a shade heavier, and Hyde and Goodson both have an inch on the others. It's going to be about technique, not pure size. Heck, Shields and Tramon have won a number of battles with Calvin Johnson and Brandon Marshall, both guys having 6" height advantages. He'll have to learn technique but he does seem to have a knack for finding the ball and has some vision with the ball in his hands, which you can't teach. It's not all bad.

I'm going to say - I don't have a strong opinion on the pick one way or another. His lack of tackling ability concerns me (and tackling matters especially for a corner where a missed tackle can turn a 5 yard gain into a 50 yard gain), but his cover skills and speed excite me.

We needed a corner. Looks like he'll play there.sh))

This pick still has me scratching my head... I get the need but considering he is a number 1 pick he has to contribute early. Will be interesting to see him in camp

I like his tape. I really do. I've spent all my free time the last 2 days watching it. We may have not gotten a day 1 starter, but in the 1st and 2nd round we got a couple of really athletic and talented guys who are extremely versatile and will be here for a long time.

At least I sure hope so.

Still after reading and watching video don't like this one. There were DL's available that would have made impacts right away. Too many questions about this kid to be worth a first round pick. Time will tell..

Still after reading and watching video don't like this one. There were DL's available that would have made impacts right away. Too many questions about this kid to be worth a first round pick. Time will tell..

Why I'd make a bad GM: I don't have a good sense of "draft value"

Back