With Pick 34 in the Draft GB Selects WR Christian Watson

Haven't seen much on the Watson knee surgeries. Seems like it all occurred after the 2018 season. Sounds like it was all related to a single injury - cartilage damage. Doesn't sound like it has affected him since. Now, maybe it comes back to bite him and the Packers, but for now I'm not going to panic. I know of an NFL player who had 2 knee surgeries in high school and that knee was fine for the next decade-plus. Also, since he was in for a visit I assume they did a medical evaluation on that knee. Maybe they 'effed this up but for now I'll just let it play out and assume the knee injury is all in the past.

Multiple Knee surgeries is a HUGE red flag..... if he becomes WR 1 no problem if not or those problems come back then they F'ed this up royaly

I'm looking around and this person from the athletic is the only reference I can find for "multiple knee surgeries" in 2019. No one else mentions it. I see he had what must have been minor knee surgery in summer 2018 (missed the first two games of the season), and I see he missed three games at the end of the 2021 season with a hamstring injury and came back for the last game they played (probably still hurt). Otherwise he played all 16 games in 2019, all 10 games in the shortened 2020 season, then 12 last year with the hammy. I think "damaged goods" is being harsh.

I have no concerns about his knee. My major concern is simply GB's evaluation of the guy. Almost every season Gute has jumped up to "get his guy" and the results have been more miss than hit. Worked wonderfully for Jaire, but then you have Savage, Burks, Love and Amari Rodgers. Not a great group there.

On top of that, I also think fans expectations are a bit warped about what WRs are and have been in GB. The time Adams spent as a league-wide WR1 is a massive anomaly for GB. Even in the bounty years of 2010-2014, they didn't have a real WR1. They had talented guys who played different roles and had different skillsets. This guy isn't an Adams replacement, it's impossible to really predict that sort of development in most guys and foolish for fans to think about him that way. He adds a kind of talent and skillset they didn't have otherwise but players like Adams who were actually "the guy" are few and far between in the league.

I'm looking around and this person from the athletic is the only reference I can find for "multiple knee surgeries" in 2019. No one else mentions it. I see he had what must have been minor knee surgery in summer 2018 (missed the first two games of the season), and I see he missed three games at the end of the 2021 season with a hamstring injury and came back for the last game they played (probably still hurt). Otherwise he played all 16 games in 2019, all 10 games in the shortened 2020 season, then 12 last year with the hammy. I think "damaged goods" is being harsh.

I have no concerns about his knee. My major concern is simply GB's evaluation of the guy. Almost every season Gute has jumped up to "get his guy" and the results have been more miss than hit. Worked wonderfully for Jaire, but then you have Savage, Burks, Love and Amari Rodgers. Not a great group there.

On top of that, I also think fans expectations are a bit warped about what WRs are and have been in GB. The time Adams spent as a league-wide WR1 is a massive anomaly for GB. Even in the bounty years of 2010-2014, they didn't have a real WR1. They had talented guys who played different roles and had different skillsets. This guy isn't an Adams replacement, it's impossible to really predict that sort of development in most guys and foolish for fans to think about him that way. He adds a kind of talent and skillset they didn't have otherwise but players like Adams who were actually "the guy" are few and far between in the league.
Didn't look very hard>>

Torn knee cartilage resulted in multiple knee surgeries in 2019.

That article on Watson, that @Mark87 posted, had me at, "You knew it was a bad idea but you did it, anyway"....

That article on Watson, that @Mark87 posted, had me at, "You knew it was a bad idea but you did it, anyway"....
He could end up being a complete stud for years or not..... however, the knee thing was why he didn't go in the first more than likely. All I am saying is temper the expectations and know the risk involved. br)

Last edited:
Yeah.
That was the first I had heard of that.
Same. I would have rethought my board and there in lies the problem with my keyboard warrior mock drafts. We don't always have the medical on these players, which imo and my experience, is huge in determining risk/reward and where I, as a GM, would draft them based on medical history

He could end up being a complete stud for years or not..... however, the knee thing was why he didn't go in the first more than likely. All I am saying is temper the expectations and now the risk involved. br)
Yep. I hadn't heard anything on the knee but it is a very important piece of information for sure.

He could end up being a complete stud for years or not..... however, the knee thing was why he didn't go in the first more than likely. All I am saying is temper the expectations and now the risk involved. br)
Yeah I get it. From my perspective I’m less concerned about his knee, I’m more concerned that he goes out there and there isn’t much difference between him and the St Brown kid we just let go.

Yeah I get it. From my perspective I’m less concerned about his knee, I’m more concerned that he goes out there and there isn’t much difference between him and the St Brown kid we just let go.
Big concern there as well. Hoping the competition didn't make him look better than he is. Don't get me wrong, I mocked him in my draft, originally in the second then switched him to the first, but I'm having a bit of buyers remorse now but I get where you're coming on the Alec Pierce front. I'll have one eye on his career for sure.

Back