Wisconsin Badgers vs. Western Kentucky Hilltoppers: Preview, Predictions and Prognostications

Having what was supposed to be their top 2 WRs not there, and one not coming back, we could expect a little bit of lack of timing in some of the plays. In practice, you might take one particular receiver and work him with the QB on a specific timing route and it's difficult getting someone else to step in and have the same rhythm. It's why I always tried to have everyone who was a potential receiver, including backs, work at every receiving position during practice, to insure they understood exactly what they were to do in specific situations. That meant you had more interchangeable parts, and it worked out well when you had injuries, and wanted to use deception, by switching guys in the formation when you knew there was a player keying on someone specifically. Those mismatches are what works best.

It will all come together. The throws I'm referring to were actually one thrown short, and another which was just plain hoisted 15 yards past the receiver who had a wide open path.

Then there's the offensive line. They were slow off the snap, and were not getting a surge to open up those small seams that Taylor exploits so well. If they had been getting them, he would have gone over 200 yards, and the rest of the guys would have combined for 200 as well. Watching WKU being 2 yards into our backfield on almost every snap wasn't appealing.

What I did like was how those 2nd level receivers stepped up and proved they're going to improve, and be a force down the road.

After watching the game a second time, I have to say I was impressed by the secondary and scared at the same time. I see one heckuva future with them though. Just hope Chris Orr can put it together and play up to that potential we all know the kid has. He was dynamite when he first took the field.

Back