Wisconsin Badgers vs. Western Kentucky Hilltoppers: Preview, Predictions and Prognostications

Da-news-now

RSS Reporter
Reporter
Reaction score
Football is finally upon us! It’ll be Friday Night Lights at Camp Randall as the Wisconsin Badgers host the Western Kentucky Hilltoppers.

There are plenty of outside expectations for a great season and getting off to a fast start will be important to living up to those expectations (if they even care about that).

So, how does the Badgers vs. Toppers shake out? Let’s take a look at what this game has in store for us in Week 1 of the season.

1 Burning Question: How does young secondary look?

No question has burned longer this offseason than that of how the young secondary will look come the fall. Well, the fall is finally here and we know that Caesar Williams and Faion Hicks will start at cornerback — neither of whom have made a collegiate start yet.

Then there is redshirt freshman Scott Nelson, who will also be making his collegiate debut. Insiders have pointed to Nelson’s performance in fall camp as reason to be optimistic about this group not falling off much. He was a thorn in the side of Alex Hornibrook all fall camp, picking off passes and making big plays against a veteran QB.

While the outside world may see the secondary as a big weakness, confidence is high internally that UW has the players to be really good. They just need experience, and with Western Kentucky, they are likely to get plenty of opportunities to showcase their talent.

The Hilltoppers were eighth in the country in passing offense last season and they have one of the best big-play threats in the country back in wide receiver Lucky Jackson.

The spotlight will be shone brightly on the Badgers secondary, even if Western Kentucky is trying to be more balanced on offense this season.

2 Key Stats:

39: Wisconsin has won 39 straight home non-conference games. They also have won 22 consecutive home openers (back to 1996) and that’s the second-longest streak in the country. Additionally, the Badgers have won 31 of their last 36 games overall.

4: UW has led the nation in four defensive categories while playing at home over the past five years. Not only have the Badgers been dominant over non-conference teams at home, they have been doing it against all comers at Camp Randall. Over the last five seasons (2013-17) , the Badgers led all FBS teams in total defense (240.1 ypg), pass efficiency defense (92.1), third-down defense (26.7%) and time of possession (34:31) in home games. They also ranked second in scoring defense (12.1) and rushing defense (89.7) in home games.

3 Players to Watch:

Lucky Jackson, WR (Western Kentucky): He’s the leading returning receiver, and like we mentioned before the biggest threat to Wisconsin’s young secondary. Jackson hauled in 39 receptions for 600 yards and three touchdowns last season. He’ll give this secondary a good test for sure.

Zack Baun, OLB (Wisconsin): It feels like this debut has been a long time coming, and that’s because it has been. Baun likely would’ve been a three-year contributor by this point in time if it weren’t for injuries slowing down his career. But, we are finally here and Baun has drawn rave reviews for his work in fall camp. In fact, some have taken to calling him the best outside linebacker the Badgers have had since TJ Watt was here. I’m anxious to see Baun against other competition than his fellow teammates.

Jon Dietzen/Cole Van Lanen, LT (Wisconsin): The Northeast Wisconsin products were listed as co-starters for the Week 1 game and sources indicate this was a race simply too close to call. Dietzen likely gets the first crack, but you can bet performance in games that matter will go a long way to solving who will win the long-term starter role. We’ll be keeping an eye on how they hold up against a young Western Kentucky defensive line group.

Prediction:

Wisconsin 48, Western Kentucky 13

The Hilltoppers may have a reputation of a team that chucks the ball around the field like crazy, but there’s a transition going on for WKU. That transition won’t work well against a stout Badgers defense and with four starters being replaced on the offensive line as well.

On the flip side, the Badgers offense will have to show that life without Quintez Cephus and Danny Davis (at least for now) will be just fine. Look for Adam Krumholtz and Kendric Pryor to break out and A.J. Taylor to show why he shouldn’t be forgotten either. Oh, and Jonathan Taylor against that bad WKU front seven should be fun to watch.

It’ll be win No. 40 in a row against non-conference foes at Camp Randall and it will be over by the end of the third quarter.

Continue reading...

I think showing the Hilltoppers with 13 points is generous. I look for the young Badgers to play shut down ball. I doubt they'll give up more than 10 points, might even pitch a shut out, as long as there aren't any turnovers by the Badgers deep in their own territory.

It's all about defensive players marking their territory to get playing time. The offense will do fine, and I expect to see Coan get a solid quarter of play, so he can be ready if needed during the year.

WK throws it around . . . A LOT. I could see the 13 points if the young secondary gets burned by a few big plays. I don't think they get much done in terms of sustained drives, but a few big plays due to defensive mistakes by UW could lead to a surprise score or two.

UW's offense should be able to manhandle them though. I don't expect a close game at all.

jeez guys, have a little respect for the dead. or nearly dead as the case may be. dead(

As I thought, less than 10 points given up by the defense. This was a "mission" game for them. They needed to prove to themselves, and everyone else, that they could be every bit as good as last year's team. They made strides in that direction by being strong inside the red zone. Of course a much better team wouldn't have fizzled 4 times in that area like WKU did.

I just wish it had progressed a little further so Coan could have got a few snaps. They are still a work in progress.

I expected UW to struggle with passing because of their 2 deep threats suspension and they did... have issues at times with DL depth and they did. It's way early but I sure will take a 34-3 win on opening night !

I expected UW to struggle with passing because of their 2 deep threats suspension and they did... have issues at times with DL depth and they did. It's way early but I sure will take a 34-3 win on opening night !

On defense I liked the way the two young CBs played with their hands. They played defense against the ball, without grabbing. I felt some concern when I saw Chris Orr play. He didn't seem to have that fire he had in the past. It may be there, just wasn't present last night. I know Leonhard is going to be discussing tackling with his defenders. We had guys in the front seven who weren't wrapping on the guy with the ball. I'd say a solid half the yardage WKU got last night was after someone put a hit on them, and could have made a tackle. It will get better. Coach will make sure it does.

My only problem with Hornibrook is that he seems to have lapses in common sense, and at times forgets that he has to square up to throw a ball. When he's caddywhompus, his passes could go anywhere, and often end up being way off line. He completely blew two TD passes where the guys were wide open, and had two more that were big gamers. He will get better.

My only problem with Hornibrook is that he seems to have lapses in common sense, and at times forgets that he has to square up to throw a ball. When he's caddywhompus, his passes could go anywhere, and often end up being way off line. He completely blew two TD passes where the guys were wide open, and had two more that were big gamers. He will get better.

The deep throw left was on Taylor...awful route. I really think 45 % of it is the lack of talent at receiver. I also believe Joe R play calling could use improvement.

If you are looking at the wheel route to Taylor he actually made a good throw with the S jumping the route. Threw inside, throw outside it’s picked

The deep throw left was on Taylor...awful route. I really think 45 % of it is the lack of talent at receiver. I also believe Joe R play calling could use improvement.
Agree on wr talent but OL was not as consistent as I thought I would see.

Back