Wisconsin Badgers 2019 Early Singing Day Preview: Quarterback

Da-news-now

RSS Reporter
Reporter
Reaction score
Believe it or not, the time to look ahead to 2019 is already here. While there is still the Pinstripe Bowl to be played, UW’s coaching staff is squarely focused on getting its recruiting class over the finish line. For many, that means signing on the early national signing day (Dec. 19) and we’ll be breaking down each position group as it stands heading in to the first time these...

Source

Continue reading...

watching that hudl video, i could not believe that was a high school qb i was seeing.

watching that hudl video, i could not believe that was a high school qb i was seeing.

The first time I saw it I was flabbergasted! I think he's better than they think. Watching his footwork, touch on his passes, and how he squares for his throws is something you want to teach guys coming into college. Then it's his hands. He keeps the ball high, and needs very little time to set for the throw. I like that touch. He doesn't seem to lead his receivers into hits, but into open areas so they can get yards after the catch.

If he's as good as he looks, the Badgers could be special. I think he's the kind of QB who can make receivers look good, so with him in the house, a couple of good WRs will head towards Wisconsin to make their mark for a shot in the NFL.

Not so fast boys that's Kansas HS ball. Some of those highlights are misleading. He won't have WR running that open at WI.

I am being cautious. The last 2 4 Star QB’s thaf came to Madison were Owen Daniels and Bart Houston. Stars can be very misleading on both sides of the curve.

I still believe the kid has more skills that the guys we have lined up and playing now. He probably won't play next year, but in 2020 he may be ready. I realize it's HS ball, but if you watch him, he's pretty good at throwing to spots where a guy will be, and doesn't have to see them open before he puts the ball out there. Has good touch. I know there's no guarantees but he could be a huge surprise. Somewhere along the line we have to have a little confidence in the recruiting.

Owen Daniels came in as a 4 star QB but was always considered an athlete first. Not too many people ever believed he'd be a QB. The Badgers grab a lot of athletes, then find out where they play best. Houston didn't do well, but that happens. Over the years we've had a lot of guys everyone thought were sub-par, but when you look around, they spent some time in the NFL.

Maybe people are looking for too much? I'm looking for a QB who can throw the ball, when needed, and knows how to hit guys on key downs. Moving the chains is all that counts.

I guess my bigger issue is the “star” system when it relates to recruiting. I’ve seen kids at 3 stars and when Alabama offers all of a sudden they are 4 star kids. Daniel was a pro style QB in HS and rated high. I get the recruiting of athletes thing. Anquan Bolden was technically a 5 star QB in FLA and played QB @ FSU before moving to WR. Happens. Travis Beckham was another who moved. Hell John Clay was not even recruited as a RB by Ohio State. A very subjective science

What often muddies the waters is that the kids who are playing QB in HS are usually by far the best athlete on the team. Not necessarily the best player by position, but best athlete. I've seen it so often, and know how it can actually backfire against a coach in college. A battle for playing time can end up an exodus of talent, and a problem getting guys to join your program down the road.

Wisconsin plays run first, pass when necessary. That's their game. That means that you don't need a guy at QB whose pedigree is that he can't miss. What you need to do is bring in a few athletic QBs and find one who can play the game well enough at the position that his work can complement the running game the Badgers employ. Even if some of the QBs you bring in are total duds, some of them can become WRs, DBs, and TEs. We've seen this often at Wisconsin.

Tyler McEvoy is a prime example of a QB who moved to WR, and then DB. He made honorable mention All Big-10 his Sr year, and did end up playing in the NFL.

The trick is finding that guy with just enough talent. Whatever Wisconsin is doing wrong in getting QBs, a hell of a lot of them end up somewhere in the NFL, at least as back ups.

I'm hopeful. Sure the competition wasn't the best, but as TW says there are some good signs. Yes, there are some guys running wide open, but there are also quite a few throws into tighter windows where he's pretty accurate. Of course you take this all with a grain of salt since this is a "highlight" video and you don't see the other hundreds of throws of the season.

I like a couple of things. He rolls to his left and makes some accurate throws doing that. I'm not sure any of the current UW QBs have that ability - at least the two we have seen in action. He also seems to have a fairly quick release and sees things quickly and doesn't need to fully see the WR clear all traffic before making the throw. At one point he receives a couple of low snaps and still manages to get off quick throws pretty accurately. Again, an ability the current guys don't seem to have.

No guarantees, and I have no thoughts what-so-ever that he starts next year and is some sort of savior. Still, I am hopeful that he can be better than some of the QBs we've had lately. I think he actually looks a little like Houston, though a little more accurate on the deep ball. Not sure the Houston comparison is necessarily bad. Houston didn't live up to the hype and rating, but that was partly between the ears. Part of the problem for him might also have been related to having 3 head coaches and at least 3-4 different offensive coordinators. He had the physical talent to succeed.

Back