Where Rodgers needs to Improve

Mark87

Carpe Diem
Admin
Reaction score
Website
wisconsinsportstalk.net

According to Pro Football Focus, 32 quarterbacks faced pressure on at least 100 dropbacks in 2021. Rodgers ranked 30th in that group with a 38.4 percent completion percentage, just worse than Mayfield (41.8) and better than only Lawrence (also 38.4 percent) and Wilson (29.3 percent).

That is a troubling stat for the Packers headed into the 2022 NFL season. If Rodgers performed that poorly with Davante Adams as a trusted security blanket, how will he perform when he’s got pressure in his face and no reliable option?

In a story on under-pressure quarterbacks at Pro Football Focus, Rodgers was right in the middle of the pack on how he was graded when there was a clean pocket vs. when he faced pressure. He was better than the Rams’ Matthew Stafford and the Buccaneers’ Tom Brady but not as good as Patrick Mahomes or even Carson Wentz.

everybody can improve. but i did find this sentence from the article to be pretty enlightening as to why his stats "under pressure" were so bad last year: "In 2020, with Bakhtiari earning All-Pro honors, Rodgers when pressured completed 45.3 percent, averaged 6.8 yards per attempt and posted an 89.3 passer rating that ranked third in the NFL."

My question falls in the area of routes on a lot of these issues. How much time does it take before receivers are actually in a position where the QB makes the decision as to where they throw the ball? Sometimes that's missed in translation.

Personally, I thought Rodgers was holding onto the ball a lot longer than he should on a lot of drop backs. It would end with a sack, or an intentional throw away. The percentages shown do point out an alarming situation. I hope the Packers coaching staff is addressing this issue.

Me? I would have thought we'd be using safety valve receivers more often. The problem, it appeared, was that they were either tied up blocking, or failed to find an open spot to sit down to create a target for the QB.

But, since I wasn't in the meetings, I can't truly point this out as part of the cause.

Pretty straight forward, if they can't protect him and the WR can't get open he struggles. They have to stop going away from the run, of course part of that is Aarons check downs.

More complicated then that, his other WR don't separate well or were covered. He had guys that seem to not know where to run at times etc. Add in he had pressure in his face and the offense sputtered.
Isn’t this a consequence of running 50% Rodgers offense though, where he's having 3-4WR go try to beat man coverage straight up like the old days? In other words, they’re asking inferior WR to do what Jennings/Jordy/Jones et al did. many years ago.

Isn’t this a consequence of running 50% Rodgers offense though, where he's having 3-4WR go try to beat man coverage straight up like the old days? In other words, they’re asking inferior WR to do what Jennings/Jordy/Jones et al did. many years ago.
They are not just based on the video above that's ML offense, hell I posted a link that if you are willing to pay breaks down most of the O on film. You can't bring Jordy or Jennings into the conversation as it's apples/oranges in what they want to do schematically, however, we do know without a doubt that Rodgers tends to check out of a high % of play calls to what he wants. That's a contributing factor to the posted numbers.

I truly believe the WR argument is being overstated when it was the sum of many issues that have led to their offensive issues and yes #12 bears some of that burden, fixable yes but they'll have to be some commitment to running the ball and color within the lines this season IMHO.

Last edited:
Back