What the hell is going on out there ? Roster cut edition

Take a breath! Come on folks, we cut a 30+ year old Left Guard, who might or might not have been locker room problem. The only thing that is hard to understand is who is the replacement? Now we see conspiracies behind every door? If there was a locker room problem and they made a move to quell it, shouldn't we be able to understand?

I don't know what happened, but neither does any one not in the locker room. Here's an interesting angle:

http://www.jsonline.com/story/sport...gherty-sitton-release-lombardi-like/89817768/

I read this article as well.

This is the thing: I compare being a HC to being a CEO or upper management position in an organization. When you have an employee that is a pain in your ass but is a producer you figure out how to communicate with that employee. Unless this employee is a complete cancer on the team, you do not get rid of them because they can be hard to replace. If the team still works well with that employee everything is fine. As management you suck it up and try to make that employee better and create a better relationship. That is your job as a manager as well as a HC.

Seeing the the OL all seemed to like Sitton and looked at him as a leader, this move makes no sense. I agree with the comment on this board about MM not liking the way Sitton was outspoken; however, there is a difference between an employee being outspoken and negative. The team did not seem to think Sitton was negative. So that leaves MM not being able to handle a strong personality.

Lombardi cut people because they were getting up in age and he wanted to keep his team young. MM and TT have done similar things; however, they has not been as consistent. The Sitton cut smells of podo(. There is something not right in Packer Land.

Everything I've ever read/heard/seen about Vince indicated that he was a master psychologist who knew whether a play needed TLC, tough love, or something in between. The knee-jerk exception was Jim Ringo and his agent, a case where, I'm sure, Vince figured it wasn't the individual but the precedent that could harm the team - hence, the immediate dismissal.

As has been mentioned elsewhere, and I don't know why I didn't think of the phrase before (but now I can't shake it), it seems like TT mortages the present for the future.

A poster on another forum had a tape of the 49er preseason game and watched the play of Lane and Sitton closely and didn't really see a big difference. Shocked( If the NFLN shows that game again I'm gonna check the first quarter out.

I seriously doubt losing our starting LG is going to kill our chances this year and the Bears are not now going to be serious playoff contenders because they upgraded their guard position. I'm just relieved Josh didn't go to a team that could really hurt us like Seattle!

A poster on another forum had a tape of the 49er preseason game and watched the play of Lane and Sitton closely and didn't really see a big difference. Shocked( If the NFLN shows that game again I'm gonna check the first quarter out.

I seriously doubt losing our starting LG is going to kill our chances this year and the Bears are not now going to be serious playoff contenders because they upgraded their guard position. I'm just relieved Josh didn't go to a team that could really hurt us like Seattle!

Remember though Sitton was playing vs the starters and Taylor vs the backups plus the 49ers are not a very good team anyways.

I think the most frustrating thing is we are unlikely to ever get a reason for this. Something happened to prompt this, it screams of a decision made very recently. TT will never talk, Sitton isnt talking, so the default for most fans is to blame TT

Obviously there is a lockerroom/authority issue that wasn't publicized to cause the Packers to dump him at this time.
What is odd though is that Sitton has been on the team for eight years. Usually guys who are THAT big a problem are ushered out well before this time. Seems hard to believe that Sitton just this summer turned into an problem they couldn't have on the team under any cost. Agree Packersunion we will never get the true reason.

Obviously there is a lockerroom/authority issue that wasn't publicized to cause the Packers to dump him at this time.
What is odd though is that Sitton has been on the team for eight years. Usually guys who are THAT big a problem are ushered out well before this time. Seems hard to believe that Sitton just this summer turned into an problem they couldn't have on the team under any cost. Agree Packersunion we will never get the true reason.

The more mundane and boring theory is that there is a locker room issue. And it stems partially from veterans not feeling respected at the end of their contract. It very well could have been Sitton asking for clarification on his status. And when TT/MM refused to commit to talks Sitton told them we talk or you release me. Because if I'm a player that clearly isn't in the teams plans I do not want to stick around and risk injury in my last season. Why they wouldn't want Sitton around for a few more years is a mystery. Lane is a major downgrade at this point.. But stay young at all costs I guess... But chasing Sitton away will come back to haunt them.

EDIT: The fact Sitton went straight to CHI and signed there speaks volumes...

As has been mentioned elsewhere, and I don't know why I didn't think of the phrase before (but now I can't shake it), it seems like TT mortages the present for the future.

In which the future produces nothing of substance. How many people believe that TT and MM will be around after the departure of Rodgers? Will it be a couple years after? A decade after? Or maybe it ends early like 2 years before his departure? I'm curious to know, if there is such a thing as a "window", how much longer that window is open with AR at the helm.

Back