What is going at Packer HQ?

Young general Gutekunst and his fat buddy the Skipper along Mark "I used to be a safety"Murphy have this about as loused up as you could when all that had to happen was a big retirement party with cold beer and a cake for Ted followed by an extensive search for a top GM.

But Noooo we have to let that old lunatic Charley Casserly whisper in Murphy's ear..... "you can be the king" "Take the power" And just like that it looks like this in Green bay right now.....

2lzcmq.jpg

Last edited:
Why the hell does anybody listen to Charley Casserly anymore??? He's been irrelevant for, well, decades ..

I’ve been trying to figure this whole deal out since Gut was hired and Murphy changed the chain of command during the process. These are all just opinions and make some sense or I have been drinking too many old fashions again. I think it all started with the BOD’s and although a majority on here don’t believe it but I think their first concern is the football side of the house and the success of the team but also know they have to make money outside of football income to stay competitive. I do know one of the board as he was originally from La Crosse and still has a large interest here and I guarantee football is number one to him. Now this is my guess. Murphy was hired mostly for PR purposes and fund raising and was probably instructed to stay out of TT and MM’s business as things were running smoothly and not try to fix something that wasn’t broke. It took the BOD a couple of years to figure out that things were broken big time and Murphy was questioned at a BOD meeting what the hell was going on with the team. Murphy had no clue couldn’t answer their questions and was directed to tell TT to retire but don’t hurt his feelings. When Murphy hired Gut he didn’t want to be left out of any decisions made or ongoing problems even though he wouldn’t get involved in the process he wanted to know what was going on at all times. Because of this I think Murphy has finally realized that MM is the problem and will be gone at the end of the season. I also think Gut is the one making these personnel decisions this past week with Murphy’s blessings. I also think Murphy will go back to the previous management structure as far as GM/head coach and let Gut hire the new coach and will be out of the chain of command. This will let Gut make or break himself over the next several years which is the way it should be.

I’ve been trying to figure this whole deal out since Gut was hired and Murphy changed the chain of command during the process. These are all just opinions and make some sense or I have been drinking too many old fashions again. I think it all started with the BOD’s and although a majority on here don’t believe it but I think their first concern is the football side of the house and the success of the team but also know they have to make money outside of football income to stay competitive. I do know one of the board as he was originally from La Crosse and still has a large interest here and I guarantee football is number one to him. Now this is my guess. Murphy was hired mostly for PR purposes and fund raising and was probably instructed to stay out of TT and MM’s business as things were running smoothly and not try to fix something that wasn’t broke. It took the BOD a couple of years to figure out that things were broken big time and Murphy was questioned at a BOD meeting what the hell was going on with the team. Murphy had no clue couldn’t answer their questions and was directed to tell TT to retire but don’t hurt his feelings. When Murphy hired Gut he didn’t want to be left out of any decisions made or ongoing problems even though he wouldn’t get involved in the process he wanted to know what was going on at all times. Because of this I think Murphy has finally realized that MM is the problem and will be gone at the end of the season. I also think Gut is the one making these personnel decisions this past week with Murphy’s blessings. I also think Murphy will go back to the previous management structure as far as GM/head coach and let Gut hire the new coach and will be out of the chain of command. This will let Gut make or break himself over the next several years which is the way it should be.

Good Post

As you I have been thinking about how involved the BOD is in this mess. A couple of things might be wrong but.....

The Mack stuff made little sense to me but my theory has become that Gute wanted to make the deal but was rejected. One due to cost (cash flow) and picks (conservative). Mack to Chicago. GB offer not “strong enough”? McKenzie giving his buddy Gute cover

Unless you miscalculated the roster why extend Rodgers? 1 reason, ok maybe more, merchandise sales and national PR. The BOD wanted to be relevant, protect the brand at all costs and be “America’s Team”.

Why keep McCarthy in 2018? You don’t want to pay Mac and another new coach / staff and disrupt cash flow.

Releasing / Trading Whitehead and Montgomery? Image. Not “Packer People”. Same with Dix. The organization is beyond reproach and don’t do this crap on NATIONAL TELEVISION. Message to McCarthy we (BOD) are in charge here

McCarthy and Cleveland? Internal leak? Agent? Their is way too much smoke

Might be wrong who knows but something is more than a bit off

I think fat mac stayed in 2018 is because Murphy wasn't in tune enough with what was going on. He got rid of TT and found out things are still F-ed up. He wanted to give MM one more chance and we can see how that worked. To me and I'm sure others Rodgers extension was a no brainer. Still one of the best QB's in the league working with one of the worst coaches in the league. As far as the Cleveland connection you have more than smoke going on there and I would love to know the inside scoop.

I think fat mac stayed in 2018 is because Murphy wasn't in tune enough with what was going on. He got rid of TT and found out things are still F-ed up. He wanted to give MM one more chance and we can see how that worked. To me and I'm sure others Rodgers extension was a no brainer. Still one of the best QB's in the league working with one of the worst coaches in the league. As far as the Cleveland connection you have more than smoke going on there and I would love to know the inside scoop.
But by extension of Rodgers you have very little financial flexibility and let’s be honest this lineup is average and depth is worse. If that was Murphy’s rationale in Mac that a lack of leadership from the top. What was he an
Absentee president?

Excellent respectful discussion. I think at times we all try to simplify how things run but I suspect things are much more squishy and less "clean" than various fans tend to make them out to be when they speak out about these things.

I and others frequently say the BOD and Murphy only care about cash-flow and don't care about the team on the field, but I agree with Nut that this is not really wholly the case. The cash and the product on the field are ultimately linked and the BOD knows it. I think that the power structure was set up this way by Harlan and Co. long ago due to the failures of the 70's and 80's where there was too much meddling, and both the BOD and Murphy stayed out of the way like they did during the Wolf and Sherman eras. I think Murphy and the BOD unfortunately figured out a couple of years too late that TT was losing it and needed to be replaced. They needed to be more ruthless more quickly and I think the whole TT mess woke up Murphy to the concept that he needed to have a better handle on the football side of things.

He may have over-compensated with the current reporting structure, but I think he wanted both MM and Gute (and Ball) talking to him directly (and more frequently?) so that he didn't get just one story. Maybe the old reporting structure was part of the problem. Murphy didn't talk to people within the team and with TT's staff and he was only getting TT's take on things and maybe that was not often enough to realize that something was clearly wrong with TT. Maybe MM told Murphy that he saw something was wrong, but there was nobody to report it to. I wouldn't doubt that the BOD and Murphy concocted this reporting structure as a knee jerk reaction to what had happened with TT. I think Murphy was an absentee president in the sense that I think he probably stayed too far away from the football operations but maybe that was how he was told to handle things by Harlan and the BOD when he took the job. They all realized too late that a compromised GM maybe was just a bit too much of a risk if allowed to be too independent. Now they need to re-calculate the right balance.

I suspect that this is Gute's show now, despite the supposed several equal voices going up to Murphy. I highly doubt that MM was on board with the recent "cuts" that Gute has made and I suspect that MM had less say on the roster over the years than many people have asserted despite what was being reported

Right or wrong, I think the Rodgers extension was part of his soft rebuild process. He locks up his QB for a number of years and the finances are clear going forward. I would not be surprised if Gute cleans house even more than just not re-signing Cobb and CM3. I could see him cutting Bulaga if he drafts a replacement. I could see Tramon Williams being cut in another money saving move as well. Those two cuts would get him another $10+mil in CAP space. He won't say he's rebuilding, but what I'm seeing suggests he is.

I think he put an offer out there for Mack but it wasn't enough and he didn't want to compromise his rebuild plans by giving away too many picks. I think he didn't bother with guys like Bryant, because quite frankly, they aren't that close to being a contender (and he knows it) and if he signs Bryant he needs to cut one of his young guys. Bryant wouldn't be part of the plan going forward. I think the FA moves he did make were done to fill clear holes and keep the team competitive but even those moves were more "short term" patches of roster deficiencies and not long term building blocks.

I could be wrong on some or all of this, but I think the BOD and Murphy came to the realization that TT was no longer capable of doing the job, in part due to some physical/mental issues that had compromised him. I think the new reporting structure was a questionable knee-jerk reaction to that concerning situation. Lastly, while there are now 3 people reporting to Murphy, I'm not so sure those voices have equal influence and that when all is said and done, Gute probably has primary control of the football operation.

Back