Thompson: "We value draft and development, we value free agency"

Can't argue with anything you say except the first sentence. Prove to me that Wolfman couldn't have been just a good a GM, and I'll accept that sentence, too.

I'll have to ask wolfman to clarify what he meant by this statement but I took it to mean he knows he isn't qualified. I could be wrong though.

BUT there's a reason he has the job and I don't.

The only way to prove it would be to build a time machine and somehow have Wolfman hired instead of TT and then be able to compare his results with the ones that actually occurred. Maybe we'll just have to live with your lack of acceptance, lol.

I built a time machine out of my Delorean but can't figure out how to generate 1.21 gigawatts of power now that my plutonium supply ran out.

That's my point. Just because TT has done it and get paid to do it doesn't mean someone else couldn't do it as well. Never will know, but I cringe every time someone finishes an argument with the contention that, just because TT has the job, one of us couldn't do it better. I know I couldn't do the players' job, but when how one does a job is dependent on intelligence, study, personnel evaluation, and other mental factors, it's always up for debate.

That's my point. Just because TT has done it and get paid to do it doesn't mean someone else couldn't do it as well. Never will know, but I cringe every time someone finishes an argument with the contention that, just because TT has the job, one of us couldn't do it better. I know I couldn't do the players' job, but when how one does a job is dependent on intelligence, study, personnel evaluation, and other mental factors, it's always up for debate.
You need to be around the game for a long time and understand the nuances of it to be a good pro personal guy. Watch film, scout, look for certain things in a player at each position. Could I do it? Lord no. I know enough to see certain things at certain positions but overall not a chance.

Can't argue with anything you say except the first sentence. Prove to me that Wolfman couldn't have been just a good a GM, and I'll accept that sentence, too.
rofl( I'll tell you what...I'd LOVE to go back in time and make it in Green Bay (and ONLY Green Bay) as the GM. I'd even be willing to suck at it for a few years at a few million per year. If I fail, I'd happily retire and never whine again...from my home in the Bahamas!!! :D

Guys, I'm the coach AND GM for my Madden team, and my overall record is something like 236-4 (.983) and I hardly ever use outside free agents. Well, that's not true. I'm constantly in cap hell, so I don't ever sign any of my own free agents. I do have to get minimum type FAs so that I have enough players on my roster.

But the results speak for themselves.

I'll have to ask wolfman to clarify what he meant by this statement but I took it to mean he knows he isn't qualified. I could be wrong though.
Consider it clarified. It's easy to sit back in the comfort of my house and criticize Ted. Super easy, really. ;)

I know there are a lot worse GM's. But I'd still take Schneider or Dorsey over Ted every day of the week. Just my opinion. No disrespect intended. Just my preference. tc(

My biggest issue with Ted's philosophy is it leaves him with so little margin for error if he has a mediocre draft or two because he pretty much ignores any other avenues to put together his roster from year to year.
So while a guy like say Belichick will also have some mediocre drafts, he's regularly uses trades and free agency to either add high end talents or in other years, make smaller additions which turns a clear weak position to at least solid . Obviously not everything Belichick does ends up working out great, but he rarely will just sit back and ignore free agency/trades exists if there are needs on his roster which might be able to be upgraded. Plus, if he can add a player or two that way, it's not as pressing to fill that need in the draft.
Belichick understands that every year with Brady is precious and thus he'll always use every avenue possible to make his team better, not mostly just restricting himself to the draft. He also manages to do this without putting the team in cap hell.

My biggest issue with Ted's philosophy is it leaves him with so little margin for error if he has a mediocre draft or two because he pretty much ignores any other avenues to put together his roster from year to year.
So while a guy like say Belichick will also have some mediocre drafts, he's regularly uses trades and free agency to either add high end talents or in other years, make smaller additions which turns a clear weak position to at least solid . Obviously not everything Belichick does ends up working out great, but he rarely will just sit back and ignore free agency/trades exists if there are needs on his roster which might be able to be upgraded. Plus, if he can add a player or two that way, it's not as pressing to fill that need in the draft.
Belichick understands that every year with Brady is precious and thus he'll always use every avenue possible to make his team better, not mostly just restricting himself to the draft. He also manages to do this without putting the team in cap hell.
gp((

Back