Thompson: We have some huge decisions to make roster-wise

Da-news-now

RSS Reporter
Reporter
Reaction score
Green Bay - The following is a summary of Packers general manager Ted Thompson's pre-practice press conference Wednesday:

- (On young receivers) You lose players in this game sometimes and you have to go on. You have to go to the next page. But you have extraordinary players like Jordy, you don't expect to replace him tit-for-tat, one-for-one. It takes the work of the entire team to make up for that loss. Our goal is to win games despite a disappointing injury. It's as simple as that.
- (On what he needs to see from WRs) I think what we've always looked for is whether the injury happens, looking for guys to have fun and play football. Compete and practice and play these games. In terms of what we're looking for, nothing different than looking before.
- (On feel for defense) I'm pretty confident we'll be a pretty good defense. There's a lot of guys getting playing time. We have some huge decisions to make roster-wise. A lot of football to play. it will be a challenge to get through all those decisions.
- (On winning spots now) There will be. There's always guys who sneak in under the wire.
- (On evaluating rest of the NFL) Vitally important. We get to know what the teams are doing and also from a personal standpoint, how individual teams are going to break down their cuts. Guys are up there, that's what we're doing up there.
- (On looking at other teams' players or former Packer) Doesn't matter what the position, we're going through like earlier, every team, every position, every scenario across the league. We're not focusing on every single position.
- (On if there were no preseason games) I don't know. If you want me to get involved in discussion of preseason games should be played, that's way up the pay scale from where I am. I'm going to flagrantly dodge that question. I can't go there.
- (On favoring young players) I don't want people to think I'm set in stone. We look for good football players. That's what we always look for. We don't get into these meetings with a pre-conceived notion that we want to find a younger fellow or an older fellow. We want football players, especially this time of year.
- (On Montgomery) I thought he was pretty versatile. They do a lot of things with him at Stanford. He played at a pretty high level before.
- (On Damarious Randall) I like his interception and I liked his exhuberance. It was so hot on the sideline I'm surprised it didn't wear him out. He's doing OK.
- (On Ladarius Gunter not being drafted) I got passed over. Everybody gets passed over in life at times. He's doing OK.
- (On Clay Matthews) Remember going out to USC pro day and Clay, I remember I was at the start of the 40 and Clay ran the first one and he starts complaining to one of the trainers nd we got to talking and he said his hamstring felt a little tight. I told him, you don't want to pull it. Just let eveyrone know what's going on. Outside of that, with his history and my history, I didn't know his dad, but we played against each other at certain times. I might have had a better feeling about him knowing his dad.
- (On potential in picking roster) Just like when you go in the draft, I would say you'd take all those things into consideration. You certainly lean on potential.

Continue reading...

Back