The Black and Blue Division

Something that still bugs me is that the day is coming when the San Antonio/Austin metroplex is going to get professional sports. I know all the issues about protected territory, etc, but you aren't not going to shut out an area that has nearly reached 5 million people, and will be another million higher in ten to fifteen years.

Adding to this is the fact that the average wage earners in this zone are near the top of those throughout the nation. There is more spendable income here than seems possible.

I doubt that professional sports will turn down the money opportunities, or make the mistake of having this end up as an anti-trust issue, with the Cowboys. It's irrelevant with Houston, since they have a 100 mile radius. An AFC team in the new area would not infringe on their guaranteed area, and would be located outside the 100 mile exclusionary area of the Cowboys, and being considered legitimate. In reality, the fans in the zone I'm referring are more anti-Cowboys than Cowboy fans. They hate pretty much all things Dallas, and Houston.

Mark my word, it's coming, just like it came to Las Vegas. There are deep pockets already in play in the area that are talking of private enterprise investment into the billions for a metroplex sports zone that would handle every professional sport.

They might not be as wealthy as Bezos, but when you have 20 or 30 of these people who wouldn't mind throwing a half billion to a billion into the pot to make it happen, we're talking about a lot money talking.

Something that still bugs me is that the day is coming when the San Antonio/Austin metroplex is going to get professional sports. I know all the issues about protected territory, etc, but you aren't not going to shut out an area that has nearly reached 5 million people, and will be another million higher in ten to fifteen years.

Adding to this is the fact that the average wage earners in this zone are near the top of those throughout the nation. There is more spendable income here than seems possible.

I doubt that professional sports will turn down the money opportunities, or make the mistake of having this end up as an anti-trust issue, with the Cowboys. It's irrelevant with Houston, since they have a 100 mile radius. An AFC team in the new area would not infringe on their guaranteed area, and would be located outside the 100 mile exclusionary area of the Cowboys, and being considered legitimate. In reality, the fans in the zone I'm referring are more anti-Cowboys than Cowboy fans. They hate pretty much all things Dallas, and Houston.

Mark my word, it's coming, just like it came to Las Vegas. There are deep pockets already in play in the area that are talking of private enterprise investment into the billions for a metroplex sports zone that would handle every professional sport.

They might not be as wealthy as Bezos, but when you have 20 or 30 of these people who wouldn't mind throwing a half billion to a billion into the pot to make it happen, we're talking about a lot money talking.
Well technically it’s not a metroplex. It’s about a 2 hour drive in 2 separate DMA’s. The league does not care if it’s AFC or NFC either, it’s all The Shield. So many issues on any relo or expansion. To any market.

It's 100 miles from downtown San Antonio to Round Rock, TX, which encompasses the entire metro area. It's a solid corridor that spreads both sides of I-35.

It's coming Pack. Count on it. This will not be stopped. The people want it. The two cities are #8 & #11 biggest in US, and the population surrounding, and between, is enormously developed and developing. You can't stop it from happening, unless you want to find yourself in a battle royal over anti-trust laws.

It's 100 miles from downtown San Antonio to Round Rock, TX, which encompasses the entire metro area. It's a solid corridor that spreads both sides of I-35.
San Antonio gunslingers are returning with the USFL in 2022.....

san_antonio_gunslingers_1984-1985.png

On the metroplex issue? Dallas and Ft. Worth are 34 miles apart. Ours is actually less than 100.

San Antonio gunslingers are returning with the USFL in 2022.....

san_antonio_gunslingers_1984-1985.png
I remember them well. Met Clint. A friend worked for them. His son played football on my team. I had free season tickets.

I never used them once. But I did sit and drink beer with the guy I knew, as he wondered why the hell he ever got involved with Manges.

On the metroplex issue? Dallas and Ft. Worth are 34 miles apart. Ours is actually less than 100.
Dallas / Ft Worth is considered 1 TV market. Yes that matters

It's coming Pack. Count on it. This will not be stopped. The people want it. The two cities are #8 & #11 biggest in US, and the population surrounding, and between, is enormously developed and developing. You can't stop it from happening, unless you want to find yourself in a battle royal over anti-trust laws.
NFL and owners have broad anti trust protection so that’s irrelevant. SA is the #30 TV market and Austin #20. I would bet a significant amount of money that it never happens. SA has the best chance but no may Jerrah let’s that happen. To be blunt there is only 1 market with stadium issues and that’s Jax but that’s a minor issue. Next on the list is expansion and that’s 10 years down the road at best.

Back