Surprise! Surprise!

TW

Reaction score
Ouch! Despite reading how he's "Okay with it!," I get the impression that Gutey isn't exactly a happy camper as to the chain of command created by Murphy. The three headed decision making staff that answers individually to Murphy is at least "non-traditional," but based on Brian's comments, something he doesn't think is quite right.

How does this play in to how Winston Moss reacted a couple of days ago? Does it even play into it? One scenario could be that he's getting heat by the DC to "keep it in family," and he's ticked, because he's always answered directly to McCarthy? Just a thought there, nothing more.

One thing I do know. This three-headed monster of decision making isn't really fundamentally sound for an NFL operation, because there are so many ways that passing the buck in a circle can apply to darned near anything. Making matters worse, any failure, in any facet of the game, requires someone to answer for it, and with the command structure that includes an Associate Head Coach technically having as much, or more authority than the guy he works for (Pettine/Moss), it could get hairy.

I give it two-years before they totally destroy the infrastructure, but offer up so much propaganda as to how good things are going that they get another two, before they all fall.

Who's in charge of what?

If this team does not win in next 3-5 years I could see massive changes. MM fired possible after this year if team does not do well. Gute will be allowed to hire his guy but given 2-3 years to show progress he does not him and that HC are gone. Also in the next 5 years I figure Murphy will retire and some have said that Ball could be a guy who could be in line to take over Murphy's role.

in 5 years #12 won't be at QB so yes I guarantee you there will be changes.

Right now on paper this team is maybe the 3rd at best team in the NFC. Its going to take 2-3 years to build some depth that has been lacking for the last 6-8 years.

3rd ??? Your feeling generous this morning ;)

It's the new softer side of Packinatl!

As far as the article goes, pulling that hiring power from Gutey, imo, sets him up to look elsewhere in future years. I'm not saying g he has a huge ego but I would think that most GMs would like to have that final authority.

Maybe Murphy just wants to be sure that he can be the one to cut the cord on the HC if the GM can't or won't.

It's a different set up per say. Murphy is serving as a faux owner per say. If they win he's a genius but I can see this falling apart quickly if not.

It's a different set up per say. Murphy is serving as a faux owner per say. If they win he's a genius but I can see this falling apart quickly if not.

You have to question if Murphy is just the puppet for the BOD and the BOD says do this and that and he is just the mouthpiece and figurehead for them.

Over the course of decades, there have been times where the Executive Board of Directors has interjected themselves into the daily workings of the team, by putting the President in a position of being a mouthpiece, as commented about by GBP4EVER.

Dominic Olejniczak is a prime example of someone who did a great job early on, as President, because he vested operational controls to football people. In the end, after Lombardi, and the sad situation with Phil Bengtson, his control began to erode, and the operations came under scrutiny of the Executive BOD way too much. It remained that way until the Packers hired Ron Wolf, giving him full autonomy to run the operation, and they stayed out of the way.

The same happened much earlier, with Lambeau, who did a great job, then when things slipped, ended up under the thumb of the BOD, who summarily refused to do what was necessary to keep the franchise in the winning column.

My problem is, history does repeat itself, and we could be heading in this same direction, because there's way too much power vested in the Executive Board. Maybe they should have term limits, but the lobbying it would take, and the battle to unite shareholders in support of creating that limitation would be enormous.

in 5 years #12 won't be at QB so yes I guarantee you there will be changes.

Right now on paper this team is maybe the 3rd at best team in the NFC. Its going to take 2-3 years to build some depth that has been lacking for the last 6-8 years.
I'm not sure he's here in 3 years right now. I agree on the depth but believe because of the talent pool as is it's 3-4 seasons o rebuild it.

Back