Report: Four-star RB Jordan Stevenson denied admission by Wisconsin

As long as Wisconsin has these high admission requirements Bucky will have a hard time competing with the top college football teams in the country. :(

This is first and foremost a University of higher learning. Not a minor league football team. If UW can raise it's standards like that and still attract a large enough student body then more power to them.

Like Mark said it does come with a trade off. But UW has been able to raise it's standards because of the kids applying. I know HS kids locally with 3.6 - 3.8 GPA's that don't get into UW Madison.

I realize Madison is a University of higher learning but if fans want a national championship they're gonna have a long wait, that's all.

It will be interesting to see if UW loses ground in FB with the somewhat stricter admissions. They've always been a bit tougher than most schools, but it seems like they are trending even tighter than before.

UW has high overall admissions standards in part because of the large number of applicants. It tends to allow you to select from the cream of the crop. Since the overall "college experience" is about more than just what you get in the classroom, if athletics suffers to the point that it diminishes the overall UW experience, they may find that applications go down especially from out of state students. Suddenly, athletics may matter again as it did to Donna Shalala, the chancellor who started the wheels turning that have UW on this current 25-year upswing.

I realize Madison is a University of higher learning but if fans want a national championship they're gonna have a long wait, that's all.
Sorry it would take a perfect storm for UW to make a playoff run even with relaxed standards. The recruiting base is small in state and recruiting nationally always has been a challenge

Back