REPORT: Cal set to hire Badgers DC Justin Wilcox as next head coach

Da-news-now

RSS Reporter
Reporter
Reaction score
The Wisconsin Badgers football program just can’t go an offseason without some big change happening it seems. A year after being hired to replace Dave Aranda, it appears as if Wisconsin defensive coordinator is off to the Pac-12 and the Cal head coaching job.

Fox Sports’ Bruce Feldman is reporting the two sides are in final contract negotiations:

SOURCE: #Cal in contract negotiations with #Wisconsin DC Justin Wilcox to make him Bears new head coach.

— Bruce Feldman (@BruceFeldmanCFB) January 13, 2017

Who can blame the Bears after watching what Wilcox was able to do with the Badgers defense this past season. All he did was take the already top-notch defense and make it even better with a ball-hawking secondary.

Wilcox was also the interim head coach for USC when Wisconsin took them out in the Holiday Bowl following the 2015 season.

With Wilcox in the fold, the Badgers went from struggling to get turnovers in the backfield to leading the Big Ten with 22 interceptions this past season. Newly hired secondary coach Jim Leonhard also had a big hand in that turnaround.

Speaking of Leonhard, sources within the program believe it is a strong possibility that he becomes Wilcox’s replacement. Even though he has been a coach for only one season, there seems to be an easy understanding between the players and Leonhard.

He also seems to have caught the eye of head coach Paul Chryst for the way he works with his players and understands the game as a coach. Additionally, Leonhard has been a great recruiter quickly in his career, with player responding not only to his story, but to his personality as well.

Given the seemingly revolving door at UW with assistant coaches, this would also be a move to help bring some stability to a coaching staff that could use just that on the defensive side of the ball. We could also see former UW safety Aaron Henry come back home, with many believing he is a rising star, having worked with Bret Bielema at Arkansas and taking on the secondary coaching role at Rutgers this past year.

Of course, this is all early days, but don’t be surprised to see Chryst make a move that would surprise outsiders here.

b.gif

Continue reading...

I think the Badgers will be OK, but this is kind of a bummer. I knew Wilcox would move along in time, but hoped he'd hang around for a couple more years. Hopefully Leonhard is ready.

I think the Badgers will be OK, but this is kind of a bummer. I knew Wilcox would move along in time, but hoped he'd hang around for a couple more years. Hopefully Leonhard is ready.

One thing Jimmy will have going for him is his ability to pick up his phone and talk to some really smart and NFL level 3-4 DCs and coaches. He's a smart guy himself, he can do it.

After seeing what Wilcox did with the Badgers defense during the year, there was no doubt in my mind that a top program looking for a new coach would tap him for the job. He's just too talented to not be given an opportunity like this, and his resources from outside are huge.

That's what happens when the guys you get are too good. They leave.

But, think about this. Chryst was smart enough to bring guys on board that may actually be smarter in some areas of the game than he is. This is the mark of a great coach. They don't try to find lesser people because they don't feel threatened by a person's level of ability.

After listening to Terry Bradshaw's comments about Mike Tomlin, and how he was an "organizer," not a great coach, I had to laugh, because Bradshaw missed the whole point of what a top HC really is. He's a person who is smart enough to surround himself with some of the best people in the business, because it enhances both of them. If people don't believe this, take a look at what Belichek has done in New England. He gets the best guys out there, and uses their skills to enhance his owns.

And by the way, if anyone is counting.... Belichek is another recycle. LOL

How good a DC would Jim Leonhard make? He could end up being the best move Chryst ever makes, if Wilcox leaves. Jim Leonhard is as much Badger through and through as Chryst, and is such a huge personality in Wisconsin recruiting, and throughout the nation, that that would only increase in bringing talent to the table.

The fact that he was a walk-on, and made it in the NFL despite being undersized, is a beacon to any kid out there who is not a 5 star recruit. He's the poster boy for what hard work can accomplish, and even though this might sound like flag waving, it isn't. I already know of kids whose objective is to play for him at Wisconsin, because they think they have a chance, but not everyone thinks they're good enough to make it.

I think - if you asked Leo Musso straight out - he'd tell you that Jim Leonhard was responsible for what he brought to the table this year. Musso was also an undersized DB, walk-on, just like Leonhard. That won't be brushed aside by guys who want that shot at making an impact in DI, and moving on to the pros.

Yes, we will miss Wilcox, but if Leonhard gets his chance, he might brush aside offers of a HC job in the future, because he'd rather stay home. I think that's who he is. You don't come from Tony, Wisconsin, and be a product of 8 man football (I think that's what they were playing when he was in HS), undersized, and forget where they gave you a shot at making it.

By the way. In HS, I played against Tony in football. That was so long ago, but this guy changed it for everyone in the Lakeland Conference. He told these kids they all had a chance, and several since him have made it as walk-ons at various colleges at DI and DII levels, as well as being solid DIII players.

Back