Purdue outlasts Badgers in OT thriller

Da-news-now

RSS Reporter
Reporter
Reaction score
Carsen Edwards vs. Ethan Happ lived up to advanced billing, but in the end it was Edwards and his Purdue Boilermakers that came away with an 84-80 overtime win. Edwards had 36 points, the final two of which came with eight seconds left to give Purdue the final margin of victory. He was just 10 of 26 from the field and 6 of 14 from beyond the arc. Ryan Cline (14) and Nojel Eastern (10) chipped in...

Source

Continue reading...

It's nice that Trice hit those two 3s to put them in OT, but it would also be nice if he knew how to pass the ball and find open guys for shots instead of putting up off-balance, defended shots that cost us valuable possessions prior to his two 3s, and dismal "one man show" of inept offense during the OT.

If putting the ball in his hands all the time is the mantra for this Badgers team, Gard is a fool. Trice is not that good a player. Then there's the issue of having Happ on the floor at the end of a game where the other team can foul to their advantage. A less than 50% free throw average doesn't cut it. He should be out, and so should anyone else who can't hit them.

Losing is not the issue. It's the breakdown of how they play, and are coached from the sidelines. It just plain isn't working.

Badgers 1-3 in last 4. Never been sold on Gard being a good coach think Badgers BB can find better.

It's a flawed team. A PG who can't handle tough pressure and a star player you don't want on the floor in close games at the end. What are Gard's options?

He has no other true point guard who's ready to play, and Davison is not a great option. Same problem with Happ. Happ is his best offensive option and plays hard on defense but can't shoot free throws. You see what happens at both ends when he's out - things are disjointed. They depend on him, especially on offense, far too much. Their entire offense runs through him. The coaching failure IMO is that they don't practice enough without Happ so are lost when he's not out there. If he gets hurt, they'll be lucky to win 5 more games. Sounds like another team we all know and love ;) .

Also blame that Gard seems to not be getting anything in for recurits.

57 nailed it thaf this is a flawed team. First on Gard. I am going to give the guy a pass on last year. Reuvers should have not been forced to play, King was our, Trice was was out, Davison played with one arm and yet this team down the streach beat Purdue and finished strong with a team that resembled a scout team.

The issues with Happ are well documented but it is what it is. But the reality of it is this a very young team. Reuvers is more advanced at this stage than Kaminsky, King is better offensive player at this point than Devin Harris. Potter will really help this team next year.

Under Gard this team made the Sweet 16 twice. The thing is fans (some) are still living the fantasy of the 2 Final Four runs and that should be the gold standard for Wisconsin basketball. Thaf team was a perfect storm. Two highly ranked in state recruits, two 3 star kids that developed and one other in state kid who was a perfect compliment. Under Ryan we did not recruit well at all in comparison to the rest of the conference. Looney never considers UW. I get we missed on Herro but when Kentucky calls not a shock. The Heuser thing was a miss and that’s on Gard and the staff

This is still the same team that beat Oklahoma and played Virginia even for the majority of the game. Wil it win the conference no. After MSU and Michigan the next 6-10 teams are about equal.

In March it’s a 5-7 seed, ceiling is a Sweet 16 depends on matchups, to me sounds like a average Bo Ryan team

Just to clarify the Hauser recruitment, Bo was still in place when Sam Hauser was being recruited. The story I read was that Bo apparently did not want to offer him. Not sure why. That pretty much put the nail in the coffin on getting Joey. I count the Hausers as misses for UW, but don't really hold Gard responsible for those two.

Just to clarify the Hauser recruitment, Bo was still in place when Sam Hauser was being recruited. The story I read was that Bo apparently did not want to offer him. Not sure why. That pretty much put the nail in the coffin on getting Joey. I count the Hausers as misses for UW, but don't really hold Gard responsible for those two.
Yep. Correct but Gard was the lead recruiter. Your point is well taken

You are 100% correct Pack. Gard was the lead recruiter and I think he personally had a good relationship with the Hausers which is why I think they were in the hunt for Joey for a long while. For whatever reason Bo didn't want Sam even though he's a decent fit for the program and a Wisconsin kid. Still a little puzzling to me.

Back