Pre-combine mock

If the rumors about signing an Edge guy in free agency have any traction, then using the #12 pick on an Edge maybe isn't necessary.

My feelings will probably change from week to week up until the draft, but as of today I'd use the #12 on Hockenson (most complete TE in the draft), and my reason isn't just because of him. Pairing Hockenson with versatile H-Back Danny Vitale could create a lot of problems for defenses, especially with ML wanting running plays and passing plays to look exactly the same every time the team come to the LOS. A robust offense would be nice to see again in GB.

BUT.......................if Rashon Gary or Devin White are still on the board at #12.................well, Gute can find another TE later in the draft. ;)zipped
Agree on Gary or White. As to Hockenson I think Smith is the most complete TE.

Agree on Gary or White. As to Hockenson I think Smith is the most complete TE.

Gary is a great athlete but I don't think he is that good of a football player. Some guys just aren't great players and I think he is one of them. He could prove me wrong but I think he is a scary pick at 12. I would take Burns, Sweat and Ferrell over him. (bosa and allan are gone)

Im not interested in a TE at 12 but Hock is still my guy. Irv Smith looked lost tracking a few balls. He also came in a little smaller then ideal, and had average vert and 3 cone. He will be a fine player but Hock is the most complete and I don't think its that close

Gary is a great athlete but I don't think he is that good of a football player. Some guys just aren't great players and I think he is one of them. He could prove me wrong but I think he is a scary pick at 12. I would take Burns, Sweat and Ferrell over him. (bosa and allan are gone)

Im not interested in a TE at 12 but Hock is still my guy. Irv Smith looked lost tracking a few balls. He also came in a little smaller then ideal, and had average vert and 3 cone. He will be a fine player but Hock is the most complete and I don't think its that close
You might like Hockenson but he's the #3 TE on the board, the only TE worthy of the #12 pick is Fant. Smith and Hock are late 1st early 2nd round prospects... anything higher is a reach.

You might like Hockenson but he's the #3 TE on the board, the only TE worthy of the #12 pick is Fant. Smith and Hock are late 1st early 2nd round prospects... anything higher is a reach.
3rd on whose board. He is the 1 on many. all are reaches at 12.

I don’t look at a Combine performance as painting a broad stroke. It’s one data point. 2 - 3 years on the field mean more IMO and film don’t lie re: Smith In a sense same with Gary. He makes plays.

I think Hock is a great fit for MLs offense. Problem is, with our team and the players likely to be available, I don’t think you can pass up one of these edge guys, DL or OTs at 12. You can grab a TE in the 2nd or 3rd, but that big group of edge guys, DL and the top couple OTs are going to come off fast.

I don’t look at a Combine performance as painting a broad stroke. It’s one data point. 2 - 3 years on the field mean more IMO and film don’t lie re: Smith In a sense same with Gary. He makes plays.
I agree, and gary hasnt lived up to the hype. He got by by being a stud athlete but not the best player. Heck he wasnt the best dl at mich. Just not a guy i want at 12.

Smith has made plays and so have the other guys. I dont think smith is as good as howard was before him. Im not knocking the guy at all just prefer hock and fant to him. I woildnt be upset with irv day 2 esp

I like danno's analysis. Just the thought of projecting covering at least one need through free agency, with a quality player, is something that could make a huge difference in whom they need to draft at #12. It could also free up that pick to trade down, and add a lower 1st, and possibly a second to go with it. That would give us the following picks by rounds. 2,2,1,2,1,2,1. If you can pop in another 3rd through some kind of a deal along the way, you would have a pretty good draft going in.

Another way to look at it would be to trade our #12 pick to someone you know is going to have a horrible season for their 2nd and 4th this year, along with their 1st next year. Stock the shelves over two years, not try to do it in one.

I was thinking the same thing, rp. I have a big concern with Fant at 12. Hock still has solid speed, is big, and can block well. Fant is a glorified WR. He is iffy at 12 because he is not great at everything and you would have to work on his blocking skills. Then again, if he turns out to be a young Jimmy Graham........

Back