Post Game Thread : Packers Defeat Niners 17-3

kaye - Sitton's hold on Ahmad Brooks was a good one, Brooks would have had a free shot at Aaron's blindside, good chance for a fumble or injury.

This officiating crew was poor overall. Missed calls on both teams that would have impacted the game. Poor job spotting the ball.

Some further thoughts:

Forte - 141; Lynch - 51; Charles - 49; Hyde - 20. If you told me before the season that those would be the rushing yard totals for top backs in the first 4 games I would not have believed you. These guys have really buckled down after that first game and it's been a collective effort - Raji, Daniels, Pennel, CMIII, Perry and Palmer have all been rock solid.

Shields' INT - the definition of closing speed. Trailed Boldin by 5-7 yards while tracking the ball, then turned on the jets for the pick.

Randall has been solid so far. Gave up one long completion but Smith made a great catch, don't think there was much more Randall could have done. Then went up for the TD breakup in the end zone, text book turning his head around and playing the ball.

Richard Rodgers starting to look so savvy and confident receiving. Just finds a way to get open, no big celebrations, not afraid to give a stiff arm or finish the play but so calm and steady overall. Remains a liability as a blocker.

Nick Perry has put together 3 good games now. Solid against the run, staying home and being where he's supposed to, and making an impact with that bullrush. 3 sacks so far this year, tied with his total from last year and looks set to smash his career high of 4 from 2 years ago. Will the Packers have an actual decision to make on this guy at the end of the year?

Jay Elliot starting to look like he belongs out there. Love it.

James Jones' sideline catch was vintage Jordy Nelson.

On the down side:

Ty Montgomery HAS TO make that opening catch that probably should've gone for a TD.

I do not think ANYONE in the league is playing RT worse than Don Barclay right now. In addition to the 2 sacks on record he got whipped several times for TFL on the RB, AR flipped the ball to Lacy to while in the grasp of Lynch to avoid another sack, and Lynch was just generally in AR's face or tail all day long. Coaches cannot tolerate this situation much longer. Give him help if you need to or try Josh Walker over there, Barclay is going to get someone hurt if they continue to leave him 1 on 1.

AR had an off day, which is relative for him. Missed two big third down throws to a wide open RR and then a low ball to Montgomery. Hard to blame him considering the paragraph above but not AR's usual standards (says the spoiled rotten Packer fan ;) )

Lacy is gaining some tough yards but that ankle is still bothering him. You can tell when he tries to push off to stiff arm or lower the shoulder, just doesn't have the leg strength to power through and it takes something away from his game.

Overall I think no matter the opponent, it is very difficult to go on the road and hold the home team to 3 pts (and a lucky 3 pts at that - MacDonald fumbled the ball on a short third down catch to set up their field goal and he was lucky the ball bounced back to him). Combine that with the warm weather and short week and it's a solid victory where the defense took center stage. Is there anything wrong with that?

Heck, aside from what's already been pointed out, even I have trouble being upset. :)

Question 1 > Barclay has cement shoes for feet... speed rushers with outside/inside moves eat him for breakfast, BAK knee is still an issue and it shows at times.

Question 2 > Aaron is quick on his feet which is a double-edged sword. He moves left/right on a play designed to go another direction and your OL is going to grab. To be 100 % honest there is holding on every play by both teams. My point being you get away with as much as you get caught.

Appreciate the info very much - thank you. - Kaye

Back