Post Game Thread : Packers Defeat Niners 17-3

Mark87

Carpe Diem
Admin
Reaction score
Website
wisconsinsportstalk.net
Good road win for GB...

Fans of the San Francisco 49ers booed for the first time in the fourth quarter, when quarterback Colin Kaepernick heaved a pass down the right sideline that landed closer to the bench than the field of play. They booed again one snap later, when Kaepernick issued a carbon copy throw toward no one in particular.

And they booed for the final time later on the drive, when on fourth down with time running out in the game Kaepernick was flung to the ground by Green Bay Packers’ linebacker Mike Neal. He had burst off the line of scrimmage, untouched, and smothered Kaepernick before the quarterback so much as glanced down the field.
Those three plays — two defined by Kaepernick’s inabilities and one hellacious defensive effort — personified a convincing 17-3 win for the Packers at Levi’s Stadium on Sunday. Though their offense struggled at times, evidenced by three sacks of quarterback Aaron Rodgers and their lowest point total of the season, the Packers turned to their defense to finally corral a player that tortured them plenty of times before.

The defense forced a turnover, held the 49ers to less than 200 yards of total offense and, for the third week in a row, shut down a talented running back in Carlos Hyde.
Player of the Game: Rodgers. Sacked as many times Sunday as he had been all season, Rodgers still found a way to play efficiently (22-for-32) and productively (224 yards and one touchdown). He avoided an interception for the fourth consecutive game and controlled a game in which he was under a lot of pressure.

Turning point: Trailing by only 4 points at halftime, the 49ers defense could be nothing less than ecstatic with a first-half performance that generated pressure on Rodgers and oozed discipline by not gifting free plays to the Packers. But Rodgers turned a stalling drive into a touchdown march thanks to a 38-yard completion to James Jones down the left sideline on third-and 7 during the first drive of the second half. Rodgers heaved deep, Jones high-pointed the football and tapped his toes, and three plays later John Kuhn plunged into the end zone to extend the lead to 14-3. A rough 49ers offense suddenly came under legitimate pressure.

Big number: 20 — Rushing yards for 49ers’ running back Carlos Hyde, who entered Sunday’s game averaging better than 87 yards per game and gashed the Minnesota Vikings for 187 and two touchdowns.

What went right: For all of the 49ers’ struggles in recent weeks, which were due in part to the subpar play of Kaepernick, an important statistic loomed ahead of Sunday’s game: In three career starts against the Packers, Kaepernick boasted a 3-0 record. But despite the fits Kaepernick caused this defense over the years — the game with 180-plus rushing yards, the game with 400-plus passing yards — the Packers responded with a terrific effort. They limited Kapernick’s legs, and the quarterback finished with 57 yards rushing. They limited his throwing options down the field, and Kaepernick racked up only 152 yards and threw one interception. His backfield partner, running back Carlos Hyde, was stifled as well. Hyde finished with 20 yards on eight carries. His longest run went for just 7 yards.

What went wrong: In a game where the defense did not allow a touchdown, where Rodgers remained as efficient as ever by throwing just 10 incompletions, where no key players were lost due to injury, the negativity turns to a single mistake by kicker Mason Crosby. A perfect 6-for-6 on the season entering Sunday, including a stellar 4-for-4 performance against the Seattle Seahawks, Crosby missed his first field goal of the season in his first game at Levi’s Stadium. He pulled a 44-yarder to the left as time expired. He had hit the ball beautifully all throughout training camp and the first three weeks of the season.

Last edited:
  • Aaron Rodgers’ pass on the first play was so good. How he does that on the move is beyond me.
  • Again, Aaron Rodgers on the move to the left and slings it to Richard Rodgers for the first touchdown. His upper body control when moving to the left is off the charts. Not sure how he’s so consistently good on the run. He’s just insane.

Rodgers is a magician. #Packers https://t.co/lpVWZlysUU

— Titletown Sound Off (@Titletownsound) October 4, 2015

• Only thing I would like to see Rodgers improve on is sliding. He waits so long to do it and then when he finally slides it’s sloppy. Can’t have 12 hurt himself on something as simple as sliding.
  • BJ Raji needs bigger pants. I saw more of Raji today than I planned to.
  • Jayrone Elliot is a play making machine. The Packers need to get this kid on the field more. Been saying it for a few weeks now, need to give him more of Mike Neal’s snaps.
  • James Jones is pretty elusive. Never expected that to be a sentence I would type.
  • Good game from Ha Ha Clinton-Dix. Really showed his range. Solid on blitz duties and his tackling was very sound.
  • Aaron Rodgers either gets teams for penalties for too many men on the field or he burns their time outs. Both results are a win.
  • John Kuhn has one carry on the season. He also has one touchdown. Let Packer nation cling to that score for the rest of the season and cheer for him no matter what. The world is right again.
  • Clay Matthews had a nice game. Using Kaepernick’s TD celebration was the cherry on top.
  • Eddie Lacy has incredible vision and patience. He’s more than a power back. He can run like a scatback but he punishes like Jerome Bettis. He’s like a nimble tank.
  • Sam Shields closing speed to the rescue. Gave Bolden some space and closed in quickly once the ball was thrown. Nice Play on the interception.

Sam Shields with some serious closing speed. #Packers https://t.co/7FSxWP7A78

— Titletown Sound Off (@Titletownsound) October 4, 2015

• Fantastic play by Damarious Randall on the touchdown breakup. Turned his head and watched the ball come in. Put his hand between Torrey Smith’s arms to breakup the play. Perfect technique.
  • Sloppy game but a win is a win.
  • The Packers are going to need to be ready for the Rams. St. Louis is a team that can jump up and beat anyone in the league.
  • Celebrate the 4 and o start.
  • Go Pack Go!

Thank you for reading. Jeremy VanDerLinden is a lead writer and owner of Titletown Sound Off. You can follow him on Twitter
@TTSO_Jeremy. For even more Packers content, follow us on Twitter and Like us on Facebook.

Continue reading...

We dominated them defensively. Poor OL play was the only reason we didn't destroy them.
I will take it over a pretty loss all day. With that said, we have our work cut out for us next week. That front line we are facing is going to get to Rodgers and Gurley is now running at 100%. Let's enjoy this one and move on to the Rams.

Packers offense - I get the short week - the long travel - away game - all that. I do give a lot of credit to SF defense. That kind of defensive pressure resulting in 3 sacks on Rodgers cannot happen at Lambeau next week. Rams at 2-2 I think - they have knocked off both the Seahawks and the Cardinals. Packers offense has to be ready! They put up points and won this game, that possession in final minutes of game with a two score lead only giving it back to SF with seconds on the clock was great. Good management. VERY disappointed about few 3rd down conversions the Packers had. It was either a bit of a let down from Packers offense or we have to credit SF defense. Really happy for the most part about receivers. Happy for TE Rodgers and John Kuhn touchdowns. Glad James Jones is playing in Green Bay Wisconsin.

Packers defense - a whole bunch of players are playing TEAM - they are getting that UNIT together and cannot say enough about to really good things they did. Overall - listening to the radio - that Packers defense had the wow factor.

Packers defense held Carlos Hyde to 20 yards in 8 carries which other than Kaepernick himself is like their main offensive weapon. I am not going to demean Colin Kaepernick - he did a number on the Packers 3 other times but not this time. This was the important time. In all honesty even though he is playing in the NFL and is our opponent it is a darn shame not to see someone like take him under their wing in a true QB school for mechanics.

It is great for the Pack to be at 4-0 - feels great to be a fan. We do not know if there are any further serious injuries and I know Randall Cobb had something happen but he did get back into the game and played.

I have a hunch about Aaron Rodgers' personality - does it seem to anyone else that Aaron always has 1-2 plays that sort of happen in many games that are what the other team is known for. Aaron had some good running QB feet today. (or is it just coincidence?) - Good night to be a Packers fan. - Kaye

Agree with everything you said, Kaye.

I think the offense had multiple reasons for only having 17 points:

1) AR was a little off for most of the day
2) Offensive line was not great (Especially Barclay. He was destroyed 3 or 4 times)
3) Penalties. (These killed three of our drives)
4) Referees. (They were not great today. There were a couple calls or lack there of that also stopped our drives on offense)

I honestly think we can lean more on the running game at times, which we fail to do. Without AR's rushing, we were averaging 4.3 yards per carry and Lacy averaged 5 yards per carry.

The positive is that our defense actually played a full 60 minutes and only gave up 3 points. When was the last time that happened? Positive sign. shots)

Packers coach Mike McCarthy said this was Green Bay’s best performance this year defensively.

Here are a few highlights from McCarthy’s postgame press conference.

“I’m excited to get to 4-0. Going back to when the schedule came out, we could almost pencil this one in that this was going to be a tough, tough battle.

“The challenge of the short week, Monday Night football, where we are from a health standpoint, playing a very tough competitor – very pleased with our football team.”

“To start offensively, we slugged it out.”

“Great plan by Dom Capers and the defensive staff. I though Don was aggressive throughout the whole game. That was our plan going in. Our players executed at a very high level.”

On Aaron Rodgers: “There’s not a day that goes by – whether it is practice or a game – where Aaron does something with the football that you continue to be impressed with. He can make any throw, really, to extend plays, which obviously factored in some of our production today.”

“We have a ton of work. By no means do we have it figured out. Our penalties were up, above our opponent, again so we’ll continue to work. It wasn’t as clean as you may like – and that’s what’s great about this group, they’re very accountable. We’ll get back at it.”

Continue reading...

Santa Clara, Calif. - The Packers defense has been in the top 10 in sacks each of the last three years, so it's not a surprise that they're there again after four games this season.

Continue reading...

Agree with everything you said, Kaye.

I think the offense had multiple reasons for only having 17 points:

1) AR was a little off for most of the day
2) Offensive line was not great (Especially Barclay. He was destroyed 3 or 4 times)
3) Penalties. (These killed three of our drives)
4) Referees. (They were not great today. There were a couple calls or lack there of that also stopped our drives on offense)

I honestly think we can lean more on the running game at times, which we fail to do. Without AR's rushing, we were averaging 4.3 yards per carry and Lacy averaged 5 yards per carry.

The positive is that our defense actually played a full 60 minutes and only gave up 3 points. When was the last time that happened? Positive sign. shots)

Me relies on the radio broadcast Wayne and Larry - So not being able to see for myself - these questions. Was it pure blatant fail on Barclay's part or was the SF player (or players) when he got destroyed extra good ones or a little bit of both?

Penalties were offensive drive killers exactly as you say. Questions are - how many of the Packers in particular holding penalties actually kept Aaron safe? Were any of the offensive penalties considered "ticky-tacky" re refs?

While thrilling entertainment - it's just dang scary - for AR to rush and be considered big game for tackling. I understand when receivers are really covered up and an open field happens as long as his running ends safely for him and the Packers. At a 4-0 start the one key core team player Packers cannot lose to injury is Mr. Quarterback - AR!

DEFENSE - loved hearing so many names called for the right reasons- loving the teaming up combinations and getting after where the football is. Those six sacks. To me it is like everyone is contributing and each successful contribution sparks the next. They sure were a great NFL Defense last night. LOVED IT. - Kaye

e relies on the radio broadcast Wayne and Larry - So not being able to see for myself - these questions. Was it pure blatant fail on Barclay's part or was the SF player (or players) when he got destroyed extra good ones or a little bit of both?

Penalties were offensive drive killers exactly as you say. Questions are - how many of the Packers in particular holding penalties actually kept Aaron safe? Were any of the offensive penalties considered "ticky-tacky" re refs?

Question 1 > Barclay has cement shoes for feet... speed rushers with outside/inside moves eat him for breakfast, BAK knee is still an issue and it shows at times.

Question 2 > Aaron is quick on his feet which is a double-edged sword. He moves left/right on a play designed to go another direction and your OL is going to grab. To be 100 % honest there is holding on every play by both teams. My point being you get away with as much as you get caught.

Back