Post Game Thread : Eagles Knock Off Packers 39-26

Mark87

Carpe Diem
Admin
Reaction score
Website
wisconsinsportstalk.net
Ugly game and a few more starters banged up....

For the second week in a row, the Green Bay Packers ended a preseason game with an injury to a starting wide receiver. After Jordy Nelson's unfortunate season-ending ACL injury last Sunday in Pittsburgh, Randall Cobb left Saturday's contest with a shoulder injury. The severity of Cobb's injury is still unknown.
This week's game against the Eagles was much uglier than the game against the Steelers. The Packers starting defense gave up three straight offensive touchdowns to Sam Bradford and were down by as many as 25 points. The Eagles coasted to a 39-26 win over the Packers.

Here's our recap of the game:

First half
The Eagles got out front and took a commanding 25-0 lead after scoring on it's first three offensive drives and intercepting quarterback Brett Hundley. A 67-yard kickoff return from Raheem Mostert led to a Darren Sproles 8-yard touchdown reception from quarterback Sam Bradford, who threw touchdowns on the next two drives. Hundley's interception came on Green Bay's second as Walter Thurmond took the pass 28 yards the other way.

Hundley finally led a scoring drive and got the Packers on the board 25-7 after a 1-yard touchdown run by James Starks. Before that drive, five of Hundley's last seven drives dating back to last week against the Steelers ended with three-and-outs.

Bradford's day was done after his third touchdown. He finished 10-for-10 with 121 yards passing. Backup Mark Sanchez entered the game and put the Eagles up 32-7 after a 11-play, 55-yard scoring drive that ended after a 9-yard touchdown to Jeff Maehl.

With running back Alonzo Harris (hand) not dressed, Rajion Neal continued to put his stamp on the No. 3 running back job. Neal caught three passes for 58 yards, including a 36-yard touchdown that came on a screen pass from Hundley.

Philadelphia answered Neal's touchdown with another score from Sanchez, who found Trey Burton seven yards out with under five seconds before the half.

Second half

Hundley played much better after the early interception. The rookie quarterback took the Packers to the end zone for the second time on the third drive of the half. Fellow rookie Kennard Backman reached out to score after hauling in a 4-yard pass from Hundley. The Packers didn't convert on the two-point conversion, but they finished off a 9-play, 83-yard drive that burned 5:19 off the clock and made the score 39-20.

Hundley finished the game 22-of-31 (111.6 rating) and passed for 315 yards with two touchdowns and one interception.

UW-Whitewater quarterback Matt Blanchard entered the game in the fourth and hitJeff Janis for a touchdown on his first drive. Blanchard put nice touch on a ball that went 27 yards to Jeff Janis for a touchdown.

Last edited:
Why was Cobb even in this game?

Lots of interesting stuff in ths game it seems.. Starting D got it's rear handed to it. But the young guys seemed to have played well....

Didn't see it.. Got dragged to Artstreet in GB instead.. but from listening to Wayne and Larry it sounded like a real mixed bag...

I'm interested to hear what everyone thinks about who made a mark and who didn't..

Last edited:
Green Bay — Though he left Saturday's game early in the first quarter after landing on his shoulder, Green Bay Packers receiver Randall Cobb does not believe the injury poses significant problems.

Continue reading...

A lot of starters playing base defense got run out of Lambeau by Chip. Special Teams is a train wreck. Oline depth is still a concern.

Hundley looked really good. His progression in the pocket and ability to keep is eyes down field under pressure are really good for a rookie. Neal looked great and a good return should make him a lock. Goodson played well and is going to make cutting CBs painful.

I'm starting to think that preseason football should be pushed into July and early August with a three week gap between the last preseason game and the start of the season to get everyone healthy and give some injured a players a shot to get back.

Myles White looked pretty good last night. He's probably going to be a solid 4 for them, and could possibly be a 3 if he keeps it up. He showed some soft hands and his routes were generally very good. He's clearly been learning from watching Randall and Jordy throughout these last couple seasons.

I think Hundley and neal also showed enough to guarantee their roster spots. Especially Hundley. Neal not only had good run and catches but he had some great blocks protecting the QB. Josh Walker seemed solid I think he's moving up to the #6 lineman.

I think Beckman helped his cause. I think he's overtaking perillo for the #3 te spot.

The defense looked pretty bad. Barrington had a negative game. RBs and TEs we don't seem to have an answer on how to cover.

Ty continued to show some flash. Davante had 38 catches last year I think TY out does him and puts up 45 or so.

4th game will be interesting to see how guys like White and Hundley do. White tends to flash then disappear. So if he did have a good game will be interesting to see if he can do it again next game.

At this point I would think Cobb, Adams, Montgomery, Janis, White are pretty much locks... Not sure anyone has done enough to warrant a 6th spot.

That defense was awful 1 vs 1. Lazy and sloppy and poor scheme led to the Eagles slicing and dicing us. ST did us no favors with another poor performance. That football team was unprepared to play last night and that starts at the top with MM.

Yes it's preseason but those issues are reoccurring. tc(

Observations from Saturday's Packers-Eagles game

home

Continue reading...

Back