Post Game Thread Bears upset Packers 17-13

Wow...WingT what a great post. That is very indicting of this staff and organizational staff if that is true. It's not always about players making plays. Sure, we know the players play the game, coaches don't tackle, coaches don't catch, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, but the truth is that a coach and coaching staff do make a difference. If they didn't then there would be no need for them. I have never been fond of MM and I'll say what I said in shout, and that is I have to be very measured in what I say about MM. I have to make sure my bias doesn't take the front seat when I evaluate the job that he's been doing this year.

My other point is that yes, obviously, this offense is missing Nelson but when you look deeper, it's way more than just that. No way that one player, minus the starting QB, should make that much of a difference. If so, then TT failed to get decent players and the coaching staff failed to account for it in their game plans.

Can't block and our wide outs can't catch a cold. Not sure what else to say

Our passing game stinks!

And that shouldn't be just because JOrdy is out. The league has learned that they can man up and handle these WR's. Adding Jordy back in the mix won't change that. They'll just bracket him and the others will play man, and handle the WR's as they have this year. It's deeper than just missing Nelson.

Here's a news flash... Nothing will be fixed! Players won't be benched!

They have a static routine in GB that's been in place since McCarthy has been here.

As soon as the season ends, McCarthy, the OC & DC all review game footage from the past season. They give their player reviews to TT. Then, TT goes on the hunt for players or try to chisel the player's contract down.
In the mean time, McCarthy, the OC & DC then view game footage of opponents as soon as they area announced. They make a decision on a game plan for those teams, including plays, down and distance, coaching trends, qb trends etc...

They do this for each team and compile a playbook complete with base packages, hybrid packages, twists, base plays and those that are specific to particular teams.

They get past the draft and start installing the playbook into the team during mini-camps, while beginning to shake out the roster for the best players.

By the time training camp begins, the playbook has been fully installed. By the end of camp, the players have been sorted out and the roster has been set.

By the start of the regular season, there are no more competitions for positions. They are all fully focused on three game plans at all times. The game plan for the upcoming game. A partial game plan for the game two weeks out, and introducing parts of the game plan for the game three weeks out. This goes on all season.

With the system statically in place, now understand the meeting & practice schedules are also static. Structure is extreme. The only room for fixing timing and chemistry is when players take it upon themselves to come in early and work on what they think will help.

Before the Vikes game, Rodgers & receivers came in early all week to work out issues. But Packer practice & what they do every week was not adjusted to fix issues. Meet to review game footage, point out the issues, count on the professionals to fix issues on their own.

Move to footage on next opponent and attend meeting to discuss the game plan. Practice game plays for upcoming games, and some of the next two.

It's cyclical and static.

My point is that McCarthy, Clemons and Capers can't make adjustments because their season is cast in stone.

If they made bad game plans, there is no fixing it. They can't make many, if any changes because the players are not ready for it. The players do not have every play in a giant playbook memorized. Only the current game and two games after.

Makes it nearly impossible to make adjustments. If they do, it likely will take two weeks to begin changes and introducing them for the third game down the line. But then, if the changes didn't work? Try again. Not long before the season has eroded.

THAT is the structure of the Green Bay Packers. That is why they are inflexible. That is why once the season starts, the team has to play out the season as it is structured... good or bad, the season simply plays out.

The only things left to chance is injury and player execution.

But, all that structure negates flexibility. And none of this even touches on the GM's job or position coaches.

And I believe that is why McCarthy has those dumbfounded looks on his face. He (and the OC & DC) failed their homework! These game plans and plays were supposed to work!

But they don't. They can't make changes now. Their screwed! They know it and feel powerless to change it. They are victims of their own efficiency!

They can make quick changes and adjustments, but, that is excessive work and totally upsets the routine. They could lose their balance and go out of control.

Just frustrating to watch week after week

One of the best (if not the best) posts i've seen on this issue.... And also the most depressing... Team needs leadership not rigid structure that is so inflexible as to not be able to handle situations that arise.. In business if you are like that you end up failing quickly.

One of the best (if not the best) posts i've seen on this issue.... And also the most depressing... Team needs leadership not rigid structure that is so inflexible as to not be able to handle situations that arise.. In business if you are like that you end up failing quickly.
Agreed. Fantastic post. If this is true, then where is Murphy? Why just sit there and do nothing? The stucture is broken and we're wasting Aaron's best years while the structure implodes. WingT, are you an insider? That was pretty insightful...and depressing!

The interesting thing is the o-line blocked very well last night. Now I have not re-watched the game; however, when you run for 177 yards on the ground and your MVP QB has the time he had last night, there is no way you should only score 13 points at home.

This is more about our WR's, AR being off with timing and accuracy, and the coaching adjustments. Like Bud and WingT said, nothing will change. This offense is what it is. It continues to show that MM is not a great coach. He is good when things are going well but when things need to changed or adjusted (playoffs) he can't get it done. AR carried us in 2010 to a SB win. It had nothing to do with coaching.

I've said this before and I will say it again, this coaching staff and TT need to go. They have run their course. Unfortunately, we will be stuck with them for another 4 years or so.

It's very easy to look like a good coach when you have a great QB covering up deficiencies in your game plan.

When things go south is when you really see what your HC is made of. And well it's not good. When arod went down they could use the QB excuse because the backups were bad.

Now that Arod has come back down a bit it shows. Look at how CHI played. They have injuries they have roster issues. But he had them ready and playing with fire. Even Cutler looked good. He dodged several rushes kept his poise and found an open guy. In past years those would have been sacks or INT'S a wild throw.

Jon Fox is using what he has. Adjusting to his roster. If MM is so rigid or has such a big ego that he can't make adjustments based on circumstances in season then count me in on the he needs to go crowd.

At the end of the day for me, this team is not as good as I thought. I think it's simply an expectations things. Rodgers has not been himself whether that's because of his **** OL or injury, it's just fact. He's missing throws that looked so routine in the past.

His supporting cast is awful right now. And the defense has played well at times, and then struggles to get off the field other times. Way too much inconsistency all the way around.

Back