Post Game Tampa Bay Spanks The Packers

Mark87

Carpe Diem
Admin
Reaction score
Website
wisconsinsportstalk.net
Ugly game, defensivly we have a bunch of issues that start with the DC and end with a putrid secondary full of trash. On offense a better week not without it's warts but Love was 29-39 for 284 yards, 2 TD, and a 111.5 passer rating, that's enough from him but our running game still runs hot/cold and we can't stay consistent enough. ( need another deep threat WR)

No real answers but all you can do is learn from it and get ready for Carolina.

Our O played well. Tampa has a good defense so it wasnt surprising to finish where we did on O.

D didn’t even show up. 9 drives and they can only stop 2. We didn’t even stop 25% of their series.

And after the game some of the D players were laughing, smiling and shaking hands. You just got your ass handed to you. How do you laugh about that?

I get the whole defense is frustrating people are yelling about but...
Walker not covering receivers in his zone isn't shell coverage. Nixon being constantly burned man to man isn't shell coverage. Campbell not getting out on his receiver on 3rd and short in man then falling and allowing a 50 yd touchdown isn't shell coverage. The thing is, at points in the game the defensive line just swamped Tampa with 4 rushers. The personnel just can't cover.

Barry is a lightening rod, and likely should be replaced but the safety and line backer play just isn't good. That isn't a scheme thing. Our personal are not performing week after week. People say replace them, with what? We don't have any depth to do that.

I am sorry BUT Gute continues to get off scott free why most people bitch about Barry and ML.

i am embarrassed that just two weeks ago i truly believed this team had a realistic shot at running the table on the remaining schedule. if i didn't know better, i would think that this isn't the same team. i won't comment on the performance of any specific team members because i have not seen a single play from the game. but i will say that some major changes need to be made. it seems like it has been at least a decade since we had a defense that wasn't dysfunctional. scheme? coaches? players? probably all three.

I get the whole defense is frustrating people are yelling about but...
Walker not covering receivers in his zone isn't shell coverage. Nixon being constantly burned man to man isn't shell coverage. Campbell not getting out on his receiver on 3rd and short in man then falling and allowing a 50 yd touchdown isn't shell coverage. The thing is, at points in the game the defensive line just swamped Tampa with 4 rushers. The personnel just can't cover.

Barry is a lightening rod, and likely should be replaced but the safety and line backer play just isn't good. That isn't a scheme thing. Our personal are not performing week after week. People say replace them, with what? We don't have any depth to do that.

I am sorry BUT Gute continues to get off scott free why most people bitch about Barry and ML.
Yeah the defense is the same every week. It allows long drives based on underneath passing. The scheme is soft and predictable. The players don’t fit the scheme (for instance the secondary is athletic and twitchy more than physical with great feel/football IQ).

The formula to beat us is short passes and don’t make mistakes. Even when we had “Good” results it was Because possessions were limited.

We rarely force punts. We rarely get turnovers. And other than that they just score. We allow an insanely high percentage of opposing possessions to be scoring drives. Insanely high.

It has to change. Either we need to bring in elite zone and tackling players throughout the secondary, or we need to fire the coordinator.

We had five sacks today. Our secondary players are super athletic. There are things to work with here. But the combination of the players we have and the scheme we run is completely broken and constantly beatable. The formula is simple to understand and to execute; dump offs, short passes, YAC, prosper.

If you want a completely non-reactionary take, I'm considering this season a big success. Going into this season I wanted to know:

• Does our extremely young offense show potential and growth throughout the year? This can't even be argued they are looking good even with injuries.
  • Is Love worth re-signing and running with for the next 3 years? Absolutely. He's not Rodgers but other than that he's got the stuff to be a starter.
  • With Barry's contract running out, will we finally get rid of him? We're a bottom 5 defense again I think there's a 0% chance he gets re-signed

Back