Post Game: Saints Defeat Green Bay 26-17

I would like to highlight one of the many reasons Mike McCarthy is gutter trash.
When you think of really good offenses who compare well with ours from a QB / overall talent perspective, NO and NE come to mind.

One of the most obvious matchup nightmares for opposing defenses is the RB vs LB.
It's especially dangerous in the passing game, as it's high percentage (80% completion rate), generally bypasses one entire line of defense (the DL), and RB's win this battle in the open field 6 / 10 times. As an added bonus, it keeps everyone on D guessing.

Today, NO targeted RB's 13 times out of the backfield, which is dead nuts what they average per game.
NE is about 12.

We average about 6.

Now forget this week for a second - so far for the year, here's what each teams average yardage per target to a RB gets you:
GB: 4.5 (198 yards on 44 targets)
NE: 6.125 (343 yards on 55 targets) (doesn't count this week)
NO: 5.5 (404 yards on 73 targets)
To be clear, this is PER TARGET. If I were calling the plays for an NFL offense, I think I go with the stats and dial this up a little more often, don't you?

Now it's not just about targets - This just proves the point with facts. If you watch the games and pay attention, MM couldn't design a pass play for a RB WITH A FRICKING WR AS RB. 3 of our 7 targets to RBs today were thrown into the ground on purpose.

We literally cannot properly execute a screen pass to a RB. :mad:

I could go on and site the number of times we have WR's and TE's running routes right on top of each other, making them completely useless and easy to defend, but an easier way to say this and apply it to the entire team would be this:

Every thing about this team is stale.

The offensive play calling. The defensive game plan. The last couple of drafts.

Normally when this happens there's massive action - but these dudes won a Super Bowl!! And in Green Bay unfortunately that's meant a free pass for life.

This team has talent, but I don't see a scenario where we win another Super Bowl with MM and Capers calling the shots, and to an extent, Ted Thompson. sb(tc(

I would like to highlight one of the many reasons Mike McCarthy is gutter trash.
When you think of really good offenses who compare well with ours from a QB / overall talent perspective, NO and NE come to mind.

One of the most obvious matchup nightmares for opposing defenses is the RB vs LB.
It's especially dangerous in the passing game, as it's high percentage (80% completion rate), generally bypasses one entire line of defense (the DL), and RB's win this battle in the open field 6 / 10 times. As an added bonus, it keeps everyone on D guessing.

Today, NO targeted RB's 13 times out of the backfield, which is dead nuts what they average per game.
NE is about 12.

We average about 6.

Now forget this week for a second - so far for the year, here's what each teams average yardage per target to a RB gets you:
GB: 4.5 (198 yards on 44 targets)
NE: 6.125 (343 yards on 55 targets) (doesn't count this week)
NO: 5.5 (404 yards on 73 targets)
To be clear, this is PER TARGET. If I were calling the plays for an NFL offense, I think I go with the stats and dial this up a little more often, don't you?

Now it's not just about targets - This just proves the point with facts. If you watch the games and pay attention, MM couldn't design a pass play for a RB WITH A FRICKING WR AS RB. 3 of our 7 targets to RBs today were thrown into the ground on purpose.

We literally cannot properly execute a screen pass to a RB. :mad:

I could go on and site the number of times we have WR's and TE's running routes right on top of each other, making them completely useless and easy to defend, but an easier way to say this and apply it to the entire team would be this:

Every thing about this team is stale.

The offensive play calling. The defensive game plan. The last couple of drafts.

Normally when this happens there's massive action - but these dudes won a Super Bowl!! And in Green Bay unfortunately that's meant a free pass for life.

This team has talent, but I don't see a scenario where we win another Super Bowl with MM and Capers calling the shots, and to an extent, Ted Thompson. sb(tc(

This team can win with Hundley under center. They can't win with this defense and Fat Mac's clock management.

My guess is that McCarthy brought the wrong game plan to the game and the Saints knew it soon after the start.

He felt boxed in by new starter and banged up O line and the Saints were ready for the scaled down version.

Anyone else see a lot of 11 personnel with man coverage who were open? They did some bunches but only after Hundley moved them and then twice those bunches produced two receivers running the same route.

The defense is the same cluster csr( we've been running forever. Each year it finds new ways to suck. Each year McCarthy defends it and nothing happens. Rinse repeat.

Mike McCarthy in his presser said he thought "we had our best week of preparation"..... Shocked(o_O

Adversity is a good measure of any team. And what bothers me most is that Hundley got no help from anyone except for Jones. None of the veterans stepped up, the team as a whole didn't step up. When someone like Arod goes down everybody needs to do more, and it seems like everyone did less. Well I take that back.. The run game was there and Hundley only got sacked once.. So they should get a little credit.

This team is soft. They are mentally weak. It's a team that couldn't get up for an entire home game to support a young QB who got thrust into a tough position.

The loss of Arod shouldn't have an effect on the DEF but it seems to. CMIII? Daniels? were they out there? They get paid too much to disappear during a game like this when they need to step up. Time for pay cuts.

Another beauty from MM's presser, when asked about Jones. Gave a bunch of canned, generic answers, then followed it up with "I didn't see the statistics, I don't know what he ended up with, but, umm, i'm sure he had a good day"
bh(bh(bh(bh(bh( FP( That's your HC/OC right there, the guy who calls the plays, and he couldn't even come up with better praise for the one guy who lit it up on offense with what 130 yards? And didn't even have a general idea of his stats.

Disclaimer- I couldn't watch or listen to the game this week. Got back into radio just in time to hear the Saints score their last TD. Gathered what I could from the call in show after the game, websites and my brother's point of view (he is much kinder than I am)
-MMs vaunted play calling doomed them is the second half.
-A Jones is going to be the man at RB
-Capers gets out coached most of the time (3rd downs especially)
-Mueller sums it up succinctly.

MM is overrated. He is lucky he has a SB under his belt. He really can't win without the best QB in the NFL to bail him out. But, Dom Capers is the one who will go, citing age.

The defensive line disappears for stretches at a time. The Saints ran power O and traps more than once and GB did nothing. Less Martinez and the Rookie Jones we have no one that runs sideline to sideline except Matthews who thinks it's pro wrestling. The goof ball dives in late with his forearm like a fool.

The secondary is puzzling. One drive they are superb and the next it's like watching Darrell, Darrell and his other brother Darrell play. I love the play were Ha Ha over runs the WR and no one touched him ? He turns around and points WTH was that ?

Who's leading the defense ? Who's the vocal leader because it sure in hell isn't Daniels or Matthews like they claimed.

The defensive line disappears for stretches at a time. The Saints ran power O and traps more than once and GB did nothing. Less Martinez and the Rookie Jones we have no one that runs sideline to sideline except Matthews who thinks it's pro wrestling. The goof ball dives in late with his forearm like a fool.

The secondary is puzzling. One drive they are superb and the next it's like watching Darrell, Darrell and his other brother Darrell play. I love the play were Ha Ha over runs the WR and no one touched him ? He turns around and points WTH was that ?

Who's leading the defense ? Who's the vocal leader because it sure in hell isn't Daniels or Matthews like they claimed.

Wow that takes me back... Newhart was a great show....

Ok, so I watched the game recording. These are things that I saw:

Offense
Jones- This kid is the real deal. Get Monty the hell out of there!
O-line- Very average today. Blocked well running the football but pass blocking was inconsistent.
Hundley- He can make plays with his feet; however, he is very inaccurate over 10 yards. His release is horrible and his arm is not very strong. At least with zip on it. He does not throw a tight spiral.

Defense
D-line- Inconsistent. Show up one series and gone the next.
LBs- Martinez is the only lb playing with any fire. He has really improved.
CBs- Again inconsistent. Play tight coverage one series and leave guys wide open the next. We really miss Burnett.

MM's play calling was weird. Just did not seem in sync. I think he is lost without AR. In defense of MM though, you cannot do a whole lot when a QB cannot throw over 10 yards accurately. Capers is a cluster. I have never seen a defense be so bad on 3rd downs. They are absolutely horrible. Heads need to role after the season but unfortunately they won't.

IMO, I am already seeing guys quiting. There is no fire with this team. Also, it is amazing what a QB like Aaron can do to mask defensive issues and HC problems. This team is in big time trouble. I don't see them doing better than 6-10.

I need to look at the actual numbers, but it didn't seem to me very few passes came off play-action. It's like the Packers forgot that exists. If you can run for close to 200 yards, there's no reason to put Hundley in shotgun or pistol for passes. Run more play-action until Hundley can dissect a defense like Rodgers. At least that might open the middle of the field a little more.

Back