Post Game: GB defeats Houston 28-26

kizer finished 8 of 13 for 102 yards and a td, 111.7 pass rating.
boyle was 3 of 5 for 40 yards and two tds, 125.0 pass rating.
wilkins completed zero of three passes, 39.6 pass rating.

I did not hear anything about Savage last night. Anyone have any updates on him?

I think he only played a series or even just a handful of plays and did not factor.

Kudos to Jenkins for going to whole game at LG and C. Nothing to write home about but he held his own. Much different story than going against Linval Joseph or Akiem Hicks but that's for another day.

It was great to see Cole Madison out there after his year away but I thought he struggled a bit. He had two holding penalties, both if I recall on stretch plays where he couldn't stop his man from penetrating the gap quick enough. That's a really tough ask but it's part of the job.

And it may be time to think outside the box on WR. I think it's certainly time to cut bait on Moore - guy just doesn't trust his hands. But I'm also thinking about EQ v Lazard. I don't love either of them but as a 5th receiver (Adams, MVS, Allison, Kumerow ahead of him), you need a big role on ST and Lazard seems to be getting a lot of practice reps there. 6th rounder v. waiver wire pick up, so not a huge difference in investment. I just wonder, that's all.

One more interesting thing: Pettine calling plays from the sideline instead of the booth. Pettine I believe said post game he wanted to do it that way and will continue going forward, though not sure if that includes regular season. Begs the question, was MM forcing his DC off the sideline and into the booth?

It makes sense for the D coordinator to be on the sideline. He can talk with his players and coach them as the game progresses. Let your assistant coaches be up in the booth.

Hate calling a game from the sideline. Up top is a huge advantage to a coordinator. I can see your tendencies and what your trying to do by formation much quicker than on the field.

Was really happy with the limited action for Gary. Hated the selection but honestly he looked good in his first game. Came off the ball like a bullet and got pressure early. If he continues to progress hes going to make one of the Smith boys the most hated player (probably Z Smith) on the Packers for being an extremely high priced backup.

Summers has a few bad plays but looks like he has a great chance of making the team.

Ramsey looks like hes probably the "safest" undrafted rookie to make the team

Stats weren't great but I like what D Willams showed

CB is going to be interesting to see how the bottom of that depth chart shakes out

It's such a shame with Moore. If it was for one part of his skill set hed probably be our 2nd best receiver. Problem is that part of his skill set is catching the damn ball. If they can get a 6th for him they need to do it cause he simply cant be trusted on the field when the games start counting

If Gary keeps improving he’s going to make Z-Smith a guaranteed all-pro because they won’t be able to double team him anywhere he lives up.
Summers was a wrecking ball early on but just plain out got gassed as the night wore on. 10 tackles/9 solo not a bad debut.
Maybe Ramsey, but there are other candidates as udfa’s to make this team.....like Darius Shepherd.
Dexter Williams averaged just over 4.4 yds/carry and had one reception for 18 yds. Those are very decent stats.
CB will be a tough call with Hollman, Sullivan, and Ento all playing very well.
Moore keeps digging his hole deeper. New scenery may be best for him.

If he continues to progress hes going to make one of the Smith boys the most hated player (probably Z Smith) on the Packers for being an extremely high priced backup.
i thought i had read that one of the best lineups in camp is when all three are on the field. i don't think the idea is for gary to replace one of the smiths.

One more interesting thing: Pettine calling plays from the sideline instead of the booth. Pettine I believe said post game he wanted to do it that way and will continue going forward, though not sure if that includes regular season. Begs the question, was MM forcing his DC off the sideline and into the booth?

I can almost guarantee that.. MM was a horrible micro manager.

Back