Post Combine "Leroy Butler" mock.

57packer

Reaction score
OK, time for a post-combine mock. Calling it the Leroy Bulter mock because I catch him on a radio show pretty regularly. Every time the draft comes up and guys start throwing out the names of edge guys and TEs and WRs in the early rounds, he always says “Stop, just Stop. This isn’t Madden”. He always advocates for building both lines, especially the OL. Play better up front and everything gets better from there. SO, in that spirit here goes.

Free agents added:
Preston Smith – OLB/ER
ZaDarius Smith – OLB/ER
Adrian Amos – S
Billy Turner – RG/RT
Tre Boston – S (one year deal for about $2-3mil)

Retained/Resigned (UFAs):
Muhammed Wilkerson – maybe. He’d basically have to be cheap with a low signing bonus. It would have to be cheap enough that you can cut him in camp.

Looks like they are keeping Graham. I’d redo Travon or cut and re-sign at much less money depending on how the draft goes.

Draft:

Pick 12 – Ed Oliver - HOU. (6’2”-287#) Should be able to be part of the rotation on DL right away and be productive. Has some exceptional explosive athletic ability for a guy his size. If he can get the job done, along with improvement from young guys like Adams and Brown, it could make Mike Daniels expendable when his contract ends after this season. That money could be used for Kenny Clark.

Pick 30 – Dalton Risner - KanSt. (6’5”-312#) A solid candidate to take over at RT down the road. With Bulaga’s history it’s pretty likely he gets a fair number of RT snaps as a rookie. Has played multiple positions in college and likely can do so in the NFL. Athletic enough for ML’s outside zone system and he showed at the combine in the drills that he was in top condition which bodes well for his ability late in games.

Pick 44 – Irv Smith – Ala. (6’2”-242#) Limited experience with room to grow. Tested well enough at the combine and would seemingly fit the offense pretty well, as he can play both in-line and as an H-back/fullback. Has the speed to get YAC yards off timing type throws. Is a willing edge blocker despite less than ideal size/length.

Pick 75 – Micheal Dieter - Wis. (6’-6”-309#) Another versatile O-lineman. He’s probably best at OG, but has looked respectable at OT and C. He gives you a legitimate back-up at C. He might not start right away this year, but he could back-up all interior positions. Dieter is mobile enough to handle ML’s scheme and is a steady pass blocker.

Pick 114 – Mike Edwards – Ken. (5’-11”-205#) A solid safety with good man coverage skills. Can help out in the slot initially as needed and handles himself OK on deep balls but needs work in that area. Speed and quickness are adequate and seems like a willing tackler.

Pick 118 – Terry McLaurin – OSU. (6’0”-208#) A little all over the board at WR. Some see him Day 2 after his strong showing at the Combine. I’m hoping he lasts until early Day 3 in this mock. Not the most natural pass catcher but should be able to function pretty well out of the slot. Has some special teams versatility as well.

Pick 139 – Bobby Okereke – Stan. (6’1”-239#) Somewhat undersized LB who has better than average athletic ability. Has ability to play some in coverage and should be a solid special teamer who adds depth to both iLB and various special teams.

Pick 172 – Justin Hollins – Ore. (6’5”-248#) Slightly undersized Edge with good length and above average athletic ability. Not strong enough to get more than spot snaps at the beginning of his career, but should be able to give you some depth at oLB and contribute right away on special teams.

Pick 184 – Mark Fields – Clem. (5’10”-192#) A shorter CB that wouldn’t fit the TT minimum I suspect, but I’m not sure BG will adhere to that as much. A bit of a rising guy after only 6 starts for Clemson in 3 years. Played better at the end of the year even though he was essentially a back-up in 2018. Looked OK at the Senior Bowl. Ran well at the combine so his speed (and tackling) might make him an attractive gunner option on special teams. His lack of length means he is probably limited to a slot/back-up role in the NFL.

Pick 204 – Devine Ozigbo - Neb. (6’-0”-222#) A little all over the board at RB. Some guys have him as a Day 2 guy, others much later. Was not invited to the combine, which was a bit surprising. Was okay in pro day testing. Not a ton of mileage. Played well last year in Frost’s zone running scheme. Could stick as the #3 RB on the roster. I believe he will go earlier, but am hoping he lasts this long.

Unless we cut a couple guys not sure Packers can afford to sign anymore FA if they want to keep a cushion of 5-6 million in cap space.

I like the draft, really like the players and the rounds you are selecting them.
Good job.

Well done.. I love the focus on DL and OL. Because at the end of the day the trenches are where it starts.

GB could use an overhaul at both. I hear alot about how our OL and DL are ok and we have some guys who show promise. But that's all relative. Compared to how bad those two units have been sure they look OK. But compared to teams who make deep playoff runs? GB's DL/OL doesn't come close to adequate.

I would not be disappointed with this draft. The only change I would suggest is if there is another OL at 172 that shows promise I'd take another one there.

Nice!

Thanks for the feedback.

Regarding the additional FA signings, for now I'm using Spotracs numbers which show us about $13.7mil under the CAP. If we sign say Boston and Wilk to a pair of deals worth about $4 mil total, the CAP hit for those two would be closer to $3mil (or less). With the rookies counting about $5mil, they should have about $5-6mil left. That's running it a little close, but they could free up some room with a veteran cut at some point before the season starts, something that wouldn't surprise me.

I might have gone after a 3rd OL in the draft had there not been a FA signing. I might have done it even sooner than #172, but with the Turner signing, I'm thinking it might be OK with just 2.

Irv Smith won't make it past Pats at 32 IF he's still in the board.

Interesting Mock though. :)

Back