Play calling

diesel

Reaction score
Website
thechive.com
Recently there has been discussion whether the play calling duties should be re-assigned back to MM,although clock management seems to befuddle him enough without the added resposnabilities. My question is; how about giving the playcalling job to Aaron Rodgers? Are there still any QB's who are given that resposibilitiy in The League? 30 years ago it was common place for a veteran QB to be the field general. With the possible exception of Tom Brady, I can't think of a more competent on field play caller than Aaron. Thoughts?...

Recently there has been discussion whether the play calling duties should be re-assigned back to MM,although clock management seems to befuddle him enough without the added resposnabilities. My question is; how about giving the playcalling job to Aaron Rodgers? Are there still any QB's who are given that resposibilitiy in The League? 30 years ago it was common place for a veteran QB to be the field general. With the possible exception of Tom Brady, I can't think of a more competent on field play caller than Aaron. Thoughts?...

Rodgers already calls most of the plays. He gets the base but adjusts both the protection and routes based on what the defense gives him on almost every snap.

diesel I think the practice is pretty common place these days. Every QB has some level of flexibility and the more experienced vets have plenty of it. Just as an example, after the SD game I think TJ Lang commented how he thought Rivers made play calls and adjustments better than anyone in the league.

You mentioned Brady, and I actually think with Brady and BB there is the right amount of balance. Tom can change things as needed to fit what's working, but when BB wants a run play called, Brady doesn't just blow him off and throw anyway. He does what he's told. Aaron is HOF track, no doubt, but everyone needs to be coached and reigned in a little, and I think AR could stand to be pulled back in a little when it comes to changing plays.

Mark, I respectfully disagree. Rodgers make checks at the line of scrimmage, but doesnt make play selections in the huddle, IMO

Rodgers already calls most of the plays. He gets the base but adjusts both the protection and routes based on what the defense gives him on almost every snap.
Mark, I respectfully disagree. Rodgers make checks at the line of scrimmage, but doesnt make play selections in the huddle, IMO

Since we're all friends here, just an observation from my "it's all about subjectivity/relativity/semantics" soapbox. Until we get to the bold, you guys seem to be saying the same thing. And, the bold addresses the huddle, which Mark didn't mention.

D this was all confirmed I think 3 seasons ago.... They send in a package of players...out of that Package they let Aaron choose his protection and route adjustments.

Remember they go up tempo no huddle spread about 60 % of the time. Only guy with a headset is Rodgers on offense. Just watch him close today D and you will see what I mean.

Back