Pettine pleased with the 'mental' progress of Packers defense

Da-news-now

RSS Reporter
Reporter
Reaction score
Packers defensive coordinator discusses the improvements his defense has made since the beginning of the spring.

home

Continue reading...

I want a defense that beats down the Bears opening week. Until that happens, it's just talk to this old fat guy.

Reactions: TW
I want a defense that beats down the Bears opening week. Until that happens, it's just talk to this old fat guy.

I agree. Until they show me they are solid enough to play even up with a top NFL defense, and let the offense win a low scoring game, I'm going to be sitting on the edge of my chair. The talk is nice, the results are what counts.

i have no delusions that they will be able to play at the same level as the bears defense. but i am expecting major improvement.

I don't need them to be as good as the Bears defense. I need them to stuff the Bears offense.

Exactly the point. The Packers defense doesn't have to be number one in the league. But it has to be good enough that Rodgers and company can put enough points on the board to outscore their opponent.

Exactly the point. The Packers defense doesn't have to be number one in the league. But it has to be good enough that Rodgers and company can put enough points on the board to outscore their opponent.
Exactly - to the point where #12 doesn't have to feel he has to win every game himself.
The NFL channel has been replaying games from last season, and we've been watching them. The first half of the season, before the wheels fell off, I think Rodgers did play more within the game plan, but as the season started slipping away he started to press a bit and go for the big plays - because in his mind that was their only chance. And honestly, I didn't notice much if any of a drop off in his abilities. If he's healthy coming into the season, and if the defense does indeed improve as expected . . .

with the personnel changes (upgrades) we made on defense, i see no reason why we can't be top 15 this year.

with the smith bros., amos, and savage - that's more than a third of the defense that was upgraded right there.

add in the second year players that should be improved after having a full year in the defensive scheme and i think there is real potential for something significantly better than what we have seen in many years.

Top 15 is not a difference making defense, it's statistical average. They need to be top 5, or top 5 at something and top 10 or so at everything else. League rankings are one thing but they haven't passed the eyeball test in damn near a decade now. The game that sticks out is 2010 against the Jets on the road. The Jets were good that year, we were still figuring things out on offense and we won that game 9-6, something like that. Just a blood and guts, grind it out performance. Frankly, with the amount of FA capital and draft capital spent on that side of the ball, it's a fail if they're not in that range. We still have some holes here and there, but overall they've got a balance of youth, fresh legs, talent, speed and experience that a competent DC should be able to turn into a winner. If GB is going to compete this year, I think we're going to have to win our share of games scoring 14-17pts on offense, which means the D will need to carry them.

Back